I know that Grimes is a a student of archaeology, as am I.

All you other contributors; what do you do and how deep is your interest in the subject?

(Hey Grimes, fancy stickying this?)

1 person has thanked this post
Wibbs Je suis un Rock star

Well I've just discovered(or uncovered) this forum. Nice one. I've no scholastic background in the area, but I've always had a big interest in the subject. I used to collect fossils in a big way as a callow youth(bear with me) and on a few occasions I found stone tools*. That peaked my interest in prehistory in particular. I'm ashamed to say that if an archaeology documentary or book is any more recent than the Roman empire i lose interest. I suspect that what we've uncovered here already is but the tip of the iceberg. I do think sometimes the amateur may have much to give and I'd like to be considered the token (very) amateur.

Quite a few neolithic blades, borers and a tool which I suspect may be older(significantly older). If it is, it may cause trouble as Neandertals weren't supposed to be here. It's not an erratic carried on glaciers either as it's a local stone and the patina suggests an undisturbed burial(as much as it's antiquity allowed anyway). I'll try to find it and post piccies. The joke is I don't know precisely where it is. technical term would be oops

queen_kala Registered User

im in second year archeology in UCD. i love arch, it has always been what i wanted to do. i did arts specifically to do archaeology.

masteroftherealm Registered User

Amateur Enthusiast and campaigner.
Would have loved to have done it in college but didnr get the points.
Anyone know of a decent course(Night)??

Well I do English and History in UCD but I'm one of those "why the fúck didnt i pick archaeology?" people!

Always found it fascinating and would like to know more about it.

(that and i like to stalk enda on the forums)

Sushi Registered User

Currently third year archaeology/geography student at the University of Calgary, thinking about coming over to Ireland this summer to do a field school. Thought I could maybe scope out the scene a bit before I showed up.

tman Registered User

Hi, I'm Tom.

I have an old bone i'd like you all to have a look at...

Scraggs Registered User

nice forum...
*gets coat...

masteroftherealm
Amateur Enthusiast and campaigner.
Would have loved to have done it in college but didnr get the points.
Anyone know of a decent course(Night)??

The School of Archaeology at UCD offers the subject at certificate and degree level in the modular (part-time) sylibus.

Check it out. There are sometimes special interest courses too, dealing with specific themes.

Seraphina Registered User

heya boney!
i'm also an archaeology student in ucd, same class as boneless. always had an interest, and when a professional moved in next door she totally convinced me to go for it.
not exactly sure whether i'll work as one or not yet, but i've definitely enjoyed the course, despite how much work it is!

Seraphina
heya boney!
i'm also an archaeology student in ucd, same class as boneless. always had an interest, and when a professional moved in next door she totally convinced me to go for it.
not exactly sure whether i'll work as one or not yet, but i've definitely enjoyed the course, despite how much work it is!

You get your best Zzzzzz's during arch!! You must be learning by osmosis!!!

**elaine** Registered User

Nice forum!
I'm also a UCD archaeology student.

**elaine**
Nice forum!
I'm also a UCD archaeology student.

Hi there... what year are you in? I'm 3rd; the scary year!!! And as auditor of Arch.Soc. I have to ask... are you a member?

**elaine** Registered User

boneless
Hi there... what year are you in? I'm 3rd; the scary year!!! And as auditor of Arch.Soc. I have to ask... are you a member?

I'm in first year and yes I'm a member.
I joined during freshers week but haven't gone to any of the coffee mornings etc. yet! Always next semester..

Riamfada Moderator

**elaine**
I'm in first year and yes I'm a member.
I joined during freshers week but haven't gone to any of the coffee mornings etc. yet! Always next semester..

Ha, brill. Im a frist year who joined with the best intentions but never went to a coffee morning either. How did you find the exam?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!