AARRRGH Banned

During the Nazi period the Germans owned a house in the Terenure/Rathfarnham area. It is in the shape of a swastica. It still exists.

People never believe me when I tell them this.

Can you help me prove I'm not insane? Maybe you live in the Terenure/Rathfarnham area.

Kind of non-interesting thing I found on Google Earth. The picture of Booterstown in Co. Dublin (beside Blackrock) was taken when the circus was there (look near the sea, between the parks.)

senordingdong Registered User

Have you seen the house before?

grimloch Registered User

Thought it was in Tempelogue myself...

My geography is poor and Tempelogue may well be beside Rathfarnham/Terenure in which case I am of no assistance whatsoever.

There was definitely a discussion about it fairly recently though.

AARRRGH Banned

senordingdong
Have you seen the house before?

I drove past it with my ex-girlfriends father. He is seriously knowledgeable regarding Irish history (he's obsessed with it.) He told me from the air you can see it is shaped like a swastica.

Riamfada Moderator

Its in templeogue. Its unmapped on Google Earth which pisses me off

AARRRGH Banned

grimloch
Thought it was in Tempelogue myself...

My geography is poor and Tempelogue may well be beside Rathfarnham/Terenure in which case I am of no assistance whatsoever.

There was definitely a discussion about it fairly recently though.

Lovely, will do a search, thanks.

Tempelogue/Terenure/Rathfarnham are all close to each other.

whiskeyman Registered User

got this from somewhere else:
"On templeouge road dublin 6w there is a house that is in the shape of a swastika when viewed from above. I think it was built for a German diplomat back in the 30's".

Hmm, after further reading, looks like a Mythbuster here:
http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=480

I asked on another non-architecture board of mine to see if anyone from the area knew of it and this is what i got.

"Well the house is NOT shaped like a swastika. There is a house near by that looks like a small castle and it is normally confused with the one that is being talked about.

The one you are looking for is a small house that had a swastika painted onto the roof. It is right on the corner of Hyde Park and Fortfield Road.

The swastika is long since gone.. Here is a link to the mapflow site that shows the house right in the center of the picture.
http://interactive2.iol.ie/MAPS/iolm...ageformat=jpeg

Riamfada Moderator

It was the Residence of Dr Edward Hemple. The non-nazi german diplomat to Ireland . He was pro Irish neutraility and cultivated good realtion with DeVelera .

aidanpower Registered User

It's not on Google Earth. It's a house between Terenure College and Templeogue Village on the Templeogue Road. If you're coming from Terenure (heading Tallaght bound) it's on the right hand side before the lights. It's a white house. I've never seen it from above but have heard the Nazi story many times. Just waiting for ****ing Google to add some satellite imagery for that area, my house in Knocklyon is also unmapped.

Binomate Banned

I live about 100m away from the house. It's on the border of Terenure and Templeogue. It doesn't actually look like a swastica any more because of extensions that have been builit on to it, I believe. I'll try get a grid reference for it on google earth.

whiskeyman Registered User

www.myhome.ie has an aerial view on their search/map for areas not covered by google earth.
You seem to lose the option after first go, so have a second street map open.

AARRRGH Banned

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated!

Binomate Banned
Manic Moran Moderator

If you're going to do it, do it right.

US Naval Base, Coronado, near San Diego, CA.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3642/353/400/sd_nazi.jpg

NTM

3 people have thanked this post
Binomate Banned

Manic Moran
If you're going to do it, do it right.

US Naval Base, Coronado, near San Diego, CA.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3642/353/400/sd_nazi.jpg

NTM

Lol!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!