chabsey Registered User
#1

I have been quoted €500 for the installation of a multifuel stove. This doesn't include the price of two extra lengths of flue pipe (which I've already bought). It seems too high, the guy who quoted me that price didn't mention anything about it being a particularly difficult install, and to me it seems quite straightforward.

The stove, hearth and extra pipes are already paid for, €500 just seems far too high for the installation.

Has anyone got any recommendations for someone to install one of these stoves?

rooferPete Registered User
#2

Hi chabsey,

If the istallation is done properly and finished properly then it's not as expensive as it may first appear, I know we charge more but that's for the finished job.

Questions to be asked are how does he intend attaching to or breaking in to your existing flue ?

Does the installation include provision for cleaning the chimney ?

Does the cost include removing the rubbish and will you need to do any further work when he is finished ?

I had a call last week to a Lady who had spent more than you have been quoted and the stove would not work.

On investigation it hadn't a chance, the original fire place was bricked up with the attitude it's behind the stove you'll never see it.

The connection was a classic he attached a piece of flexiflue to the back of the stove and built it into the fireplace, to clean the chimney the stove was to be removed and the chimney rodded through the hole in the wall that a cavern behind it.

Total cost told to me by the customer 840.00 euro.

.

1 person has thanked this post
chabsey Registered User
#3

Thanks for the reply. The reason it seems so high to me is that the place where we bought the fireplace told us that we should expect to pay 250 -300 euros. So when this guy quoted us 500, and didn't make any attempt to sound like it was a difficult job (and therefore more expensive) it just seemed far too high.

I know someone who has recently (in the last 3-4 years) bought three of these multifuel stoves and has got them installed and he seemed shocked by that price too.

I've swept the chimney myself and the fireplace is cleaned out and in perfect order, just awaiting a stove to be placed into it. There's even no curved flue pipes involved, just two lengths of straight pipe which is much cheaper.

I'm at a loss as to why he has quoted so high, except maybe he's chancing his arm and seeing if we'll pay.

00jes Registered User
#4

hi there,

i have recently bought a multi fule stove and am ready to install it. the chimley has never been used as it is a new house and iv put in a tiled hearth for the stove to sit on. the stove is a non boiler model. do you know anywhere i can get a detailed instilation manual.also the stove is a 12 kw firewarm stove and i would apreciate any info on this make good or bad.

regards,
jes

pjq Registered User
#5

00jes,
Someone else had info issues also http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=43725

pjq

De_man Registered User
#6

00jes said:
hi there,

i have recently bought a multi fule stove and am ready to install it. the chimley has never been used as it is a new house and iv put in a tiled hearth for the stove to sit on. the stove is a non boiler model. do you know anywhere i can get a detailed instilation manual.also the stove is a 12 kw firewarm stove and i would apreciate any info on this make good or bad.

regards,
jes


the shop where you bought the stove should give you an installation manual
, installing a stove is pretty straightforward..if you willing to give me 500yoyo i'd drive the length of the country for the job 100 yoyo would be more appropriate with all the materials supplied by you

we've installed nestor martin stoves in our gaff they're all pretty much the same have a look at the installation manuals for those, can be found on the following link it'll give you an idea of whats involved.

http://www.euroheat.co.uk/docandpdfs.php?folderid=27&show1

i'm very slow to give a detailed step by step guide just in case

jskak Registered User
#7

Solid fuel fires can be just as likely as gas fires to cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning if they are poorly installed, faulty or incorrectly used. Inadequate insulation of a chimney causes condensation, which combines with the fumes to produce tar and sulphuric acid. This attacks the brickwork, eating into the mortar resulting in dangerous joint leakage and carries with it combustible tars which settle deep into the brickwork. At best this will eventually show as tar staining on the outer walls of the chimney and at worst it will eventually ignite and could also lead to the total collapse of the chimneystack.
check these guys out, they seem to really know they're stuff.
http://csai.ie/
may cost more but remember about paying peanuts and getting monkeys...

copper12 Registered User
#8

There’s plenty of treads here dealing with stove installation; some have detailed pictures
Installing a stove provided you follow the manufactures instruction; fall well within the DIY list of things’ you can do’ remember follow the manufactories installation instructions’ and you cant go wrong

Kat1170 Registered User
#9

Plenty of advice here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394080
IMHO if a fireplace/chimney is in good enough condition to have an open fire in it safely then it should be good enough to install a stove.

#10

jskak said:
Solid fuel fires can be just as likely as gas fires to cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning if they are poorly installed, faulty or incorrectly used. Inadequate insulation of a chimney causes condensation, which combines with the fumes to produce tar and sulphuric acid. This attacks the brickwork, eating into the mortar resulting in dangerous joint leakage and carries with it combustible tars which settle deep into the brickwork. At best this will eventually show as tar staining on the outer walls of the chimney and at worst it will eventually ignite and could also lead to the total collapse of the chimneystack.
check these guys out, they seem to really know they're stuff.
http://csai.ie/
may cost more but remember about paying peanuts and getting monkeys...

......

fmcc Registered User
#11

I.m gonna tread carefully here but just to highlight how many members are in the chimney sweeps association? to my knowledge at present is one could be wrong but no members are highlighted in the members section.

Stoves can be installed by a competent diy person as long as they have a good understanding of whats required.
I dont agree with all the guys says on his webpage but he is a also not saying anything incorrect. Is a liner the best option yes is it absoloutly nesesary no imho.
Should you use 90 degree bends and horizontal flue runs no not in an ideal world but if needs must you can.
Ideals are great and if you are building a house then you may be able to make decisions for the future of your heating applainces but if you are adapting your chimney for a stove then you will end up using some of the above.

jack of all Registered User
#12

fmcc offers some of the best advice on this subject, imho. When I purchased my stove I found a lot of contradictory information and advice out there on their installation (flue liner/ no flue liner, register plate/ no register plate etc.). I took advice from three sources in the end: the merchant that supplied the stove, a fireplace manufacturer/ stove installer and here! In my situation I was happy that the existing chimney was very sound, had an excellent draw etc so I didn't line it with the flexible liner. I think the safe installation of a small stove is well within the capabilities of a competent DIYer, with proper planning and design beforehand.

millb Registered User
#13

Any advice /recommendations on a small dimension multi-fuel - heat only stove (5-8 kW rating) that can use an 8 inch diameter clay chimney without having to get a liner.

jimmi jaz Registered User
#14

i have a stove 1 year it only just heats 3 radiators.Its a herculese and is supposed to heat up to 20 ,any suggestions?

cabledude Registered User
#15

chabsey said:
I have been quoted €500 for the installation of a multifuel stove. This doesn't include the price of two extra lengths of flue pipe (which I've already bought). It seems too high, the guy who quoted me that price didn't mention anything about it being a particularly difficult install, and to me it seems quite straightforward.

The stove, hearth and extra pipes are already paid for, €500 just seems far too high for the installation.

Has anyone got any recommendations for someone to install one of these stoves?


I had a stove installed recently and the installer ( who is a plumber ) charged €500. This included install of stove, sorting flue, plumbing it to central heating system, checking it, etc etc. He spend 22 hours on the job. A very fair price in my opinion. €500 just to install that does not include plumbing is a complete rip off. As eddie hobbs would say ' Rip off ireland is alive and well '

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!