UU Awaiting Email Confirmation

I not being anti-Muslim or anything, ok? But it is in my opinion that the whole wearing of the berka (the whole veil for the body) is quite disturbing and un-natural. Why don't males wear this so other women can't have attraction and impure thoughts? I think it is possible that many of the males they are sexist.

Also, how come Muslim women in berkas can walk into shops and banks when people wearing motorbike helmets have to take them off due to sercurity purposes. What about in airports, court, etc. also?

I believe that Muslims and others should have to integrate into Irish society. There is no other country in the world with Irish culture so I think Ireland should change only little bit regarding religion but not totally so I don't believe that Muslim women should be allowed to wear berkas in public places. If a non-Muslim Irish female were to go over to a strict Arabic country like Iraq and not cover up, she'd be in big trouble and may be arrested so I think that immigrants coming here should have to adjust to our way of life like we would have to if we went to their country.

3 people have thanked this post
Hobbes Registered User

I've moved your post out of the other thread as it is a seperate topic that is certainly worth having discussion about.

how come Muslim women in berkas can walk into shops and banks when people wearing motorbike helmets have to take them off due to sercurity purposes. What about in airports, court, etc.

I believe that is freedom of religon? Although I'd like to hear a breakdown on how it is handled at airports. I believe there are allowances made (similar to doctors).

There is no other country in the world with Irish culture

America has more Irish then Ireland. There are areas in America more *Irish* then the Irish.

so I think that immigrants coming here should have to adjust to our way of life like we would have to if we went to their country.

So we have laws that strictly forbid the use of facewear in public? News to me.

You could certainly chance your arm at refusing them into shops/banks but there are already Muslim banks/shops or there will always be another shop that will take the money.

Also you talk about immigrants? What has that to do with it? What about Irish people who are already Muslim (both of Irish + forigen decent?).

1 person has thanked this post
Zanza Registered User

UU
If a non-Muslim Irish female were to go over to a strict Arabic country like Iraq and not cover up, she'd be in big trouble and may be arrested so I think that immigrants coming here should have to adjust to our way of life like we would have to if we went to their country.

lol, that is so not true! Wearing "Burkas" are for thoes who are very religious or thoes women who are supposed to have a very attracting 'face'. Even if a woman didn't wear the "hair cover" alone she wont get into trouble (except in KSA).
Women won't be in trouble if they don't wear their "hair cover" (hijab), rules in the countries (islamic of course!) has nothing to do with the "hijab" and will not punish them. But in the after life God will (said so in the Quraan).

if someone could help me and bring a qoute of this if possible ^^;

Wibbs Je suis un Rock star

I think Qadri covered the religious position in this post; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50349031&postcount=39

It does strike me as a bit of a strange one though. It seems to suggest that a woman will inflame a man's passions too much if he sees too much of her form. It kinda makes out that men have no control over their baser emotions.While many would say it's out of respect for the woman, it could be used to limit womens freedom far too much IMHO. The far eastern version that just has the headscarf appears to be far less restrictive. That said a micro skirt and 6 inch heels are most likely just as restrictive

Zanza, I'm not so sure about the bit about just covering up the women with attractive faces. I think many would think the opposite more welcome...

Zanza Registered User

Well, of course many have different openions. Heck, even some people say that islam is "old fasion" and now we are in the new millinum so we have to act like it and crap like that.
Anyway, all in all, islam protected women by getting covered so that they won't be like a sex object. We all know that women are the most beautiful creature on earth *innocent look*; men 'like' women pretty fast for their attractiveness, so beside protecting women, it ease up the attractiveness part for the men (if you ever saw 40 Days & 40 Nights you might understand what I mean).

Ok, but can men not be "sex objects" too? I mean there's enough women out there mooning over posters of G Clooney et al. Why are they not veiled? Just a thought.

Zanza Registered User

I don't think I can find a man to be "that sexy" that it get me worked up..

Do you mind explaining that bit more please? My english isn't that strong
What did you men why are they not veiled? The posters?

Well I don't know about others, but I can safely say that the sight of a woman's leg doesn't get me too worked up(well mostly anyway ). Women can get just as worked up sometimes. I just think it makes out that men are somehow uncontrolled beasts and that they have no restraint.

My English isn't so strong either(many many many times better than my Arabic though). I just think it is... Which is worse

Zanza Registered User

hehe, yeah, I know what you mean.. ;p

Well, actually its that both men and women should be wearing 'decent' clothing. Tight jeans is a no-no because you can see how built the man is, just like how you would see how women are thin/fat

Islam didn't make women get covered more than men should.. the only difference is that women should cover their hair (and face sometimes) while men don't.. I am not sure what to do if the man had a 'sexy' facial, but that brings an another issue which is not looking to the opposite sex; try to avoid it as much as possible..!

Zanza
...but that brings an another issue which is not looking to the opposite sex; try to avoid it as much as possible..!
I'm afraid I can't say the same. I'm a terrible heathen anyway so no surprise there.

I do agree with you with regard to the unhealthy attention to beauty in society. I feel personally that the Islamic view a bit extreme, but that said the "western" view can sometimes be equally accused of being extreme. A middle ground would be nice. Hey I live in hope.

lazydaisy Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think its kind of flattering that there are men who find us women so hot that they think we need to be covered up, not that I would cover myself up, but the very idea of that makes me feel a little powerful. It confesses that female sexuality is very powerful and that men are afraid of it.

However, I thought that the whole headscarf custom came from the fact that in arabic countries the sun is so strong that women wore these things to protect their skin and hair. And now women wear it because they feel vulnerable without it?

One explanation I heard, was that in the time of the Prophet, wealthy women were veiled as a status thing and that prostitutes and the like advertised their services by being uncovered and showing their hair. Anyone else have the historical view on this?

Blub2k4 Registered User

Wibbs
One explanation I heard, was that in the time of the Prophet, wealthy women were veiled as a status thing and that prostitutes and the like advertised their services by being uncovered and showing their hair. Anyone else have the historical view on this?

This is quite possibly the case, I do know that male prostitutes in KSA roll up the bottom few inches of their thobe to make it obvious that they are plying their trade, thus also exposing a bit of leg, this would fit in with the idea that both men and women are supposed to cover up to retain their dignity.

r3boot Registered User

there is no refernce in the quoran or the prohpets sayings in relation to burkas for all muslim women therefore I see no reason for them ....

Victor Registered User

UU
Also, how come Muslim women in berkas can walk into shops and banks when people wearing motorbike helmets have to take them off due to sercurity purposes.
If theres a pattern of burka wearing women robbing banks then fair enough, but is there such a pattern?

Of course, the helmet thing is only to control [strike]gurriers[/strike] couriers having their radios turned up to max.

Of course, in the Taliban scheme of things, women wouldn't be allowed into banks. In Saudi Arabia, there are probably separate banks for women.

What about in airports, court, etc. also?
Female security can deal with females wearing burkas.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!