donaghs Registered User

JosDel said:
You get trouble kids all over Ireland

Yes, everywhere is the exact same.

I recall a 16 year old shot a man in East Wall in 2008. He was part of a gang of kids that had been harrassing him.

JosDel said:
There is no part of this country safe at 3/4am

Are you serious?

JosDel Registered User

It's very sad to see that an area of dublin which was a very quite place to live, a safe place to be in at any hour of the day has changed so much, I remember as a kid in the late 70s I use to hang around east wall a lot and it was one of the best and safest places to be in. It's sad.

candyman Registered User

What's sad to see is so much being promised to the area by the Dublin Docklands Authority (DDA) in form of rejuvenation planning including Church Road and surrounding areas circa 2006 never being implemented. We can add the DDA to the ever growing list of incompetent institutions in this country.

JosDel said:
It's very sad to see that an area of dublin which was a very quite place to live, a safe place to be in at any hour of the day has changed so much, I remember as a kid in the late 70s I use to hang around east wall a lot and it was one of the best and safest places to be in. It's sad.

Really??, my grandparents were living there in the late 50's and early 60's and moved to Ballybough Road because apparently the area was very rough all the way back then and to quote my granny "no place to raise a family". Maybe it improved in the 70's and became worse again after?

readyletsgo Registered User

I'm living in Eastwall now just under 3 months and i cant wait to get the FCUK out of here, the place is a complete **** hole dive and i stupidly signed a contract for 1 year which we cant get out of.

If the guy who started this topic is still looking to buy DONT DO IT!!!! (better late than never lol)

John_Rambo Registered User

That's not very fair readysteadyletsgo, you have admitted in another thread that you hate every part of Dublin city and it's inhabitants. Your jaundiced view of the capital is incorrect, why should anyone listen to you?

Eh, becasue i have lived and worked all around dublin city and county all my life. Eastwall is a hole, full of little knackers, sames as a lot of other places in dublin, it just so happens i live in eastwall at this very moment (bad move on my part!) so i think i can judge it fairly after a few months here.

8 more horrible months here and I'm outta here!

readyletsgo said:
(bad move on my part!) so i think i can judge it fairly after a few months here

Well, as you said, your move, nobody forced you, don't get a job as a researcher. So, it's a few months? Have you got to know your neighbours? Have you in any way involved yourself in the community? Did you in any way ingratiate yourself? Do you buy local? Surely you can't knock Curtis's.

John_Rambo said:
Well, as you said, your move, nobody forced you, don't get a job as a researcher. So, it's a few months? Have you got to know your neighbours? Have you in any way involved yourself in the community? Did you in any way ingratiate yourself? Do you buy local? Surely you can't knock Curtis's.

I rent, didnt buy, so no need to involve myself or get to know the neighbours. We moved here liking the house we live in, but the build of it is shocking, walls are so thin, noise everywhere and very cold, that **** happens sometimes, what can ya do, but one of our neighbours is a drug dealer and i wouldnt cross him in a second! Dodgy lookin fcuker if i ever did see one, walks around as if he owns the area(!). The other neighbour is a mother who spends all day screaming at her 1 year old, he's the cutest kid in the world, poor fella has no chance! The father is no better. Yes i shop local, not in the centra, in the XL, its a fine shop, staff are really great but every night they have to put up with gangs of little knackers shouting and throwing **** at the shop all night, that sucks!

So as i said, the place is a **** hole, like a lot of places in dublin i guess. Am i not aloud to have an opinion of a place i am living?

readyletsgo said:
Am i not aloud to have an opinion of a place i am living?

Of course, I didn't mean to come across like that, but if you are going to judge the people of an area and then say things like this;

readyletsgo said:
no need to involve myself or get to know the neighbours

You prove not to be the best judge on the people of the area.

Just because you are renting doesn't make you a lesser member of the community. Your neighbours may be dodgy, that doesn't mean everyone there is. I lived in the area for a lot longer than you did and had deadly neighbours. Still though, it's unfortunate for you though, nothing worse than bad neighbours and judging by the posts here the area seems to be getting a rough time compared to when I lived there.

candyman Registered User

Hard to believe its 6 years since I first posted this request here as the OP and the thread is still alive. Good to see. :-)

Well I went ahead and bought an apt in East Wall back in 2004, in the Lighthouse complex and I don't regret it one bit. The complex has matured well over the years, maintained to a high standard, rarely any issues that I hear about and is pretty quiet. It also seems fully occupied which is great. Some of the apt blocks built later in the area seem to be suffering from being half finished Nama style but that's another thread I guess. The centra on Church Road beside the apt block is a god send and is really good value. Hard to believe for a convenience store but it is.

I had high hopes for a regeneration of the area at the time, had inspected the DDA plans for Church Road etc and it looked promising. The DDA failed to deliver on its plans to date. Saying that I actually think the area is fine. I commute to work in town from here and it's grand and handy walking through the area, no trouble to date thank god. One thing to remember though, this is inner city Dublin, much like Ringsend on the southside and people should have realistic expectations when they move here. This is D3, not D4 or similar. I find the people generally fine, a few dodgy characters for sure but that could be said of most areas.

So in summary I quite enjoy living here and have no regrets about my purchase back in the day.

1 person has thanked this post

Ringsend is in D4...

candyman Registered User

Jehuty42 said:
Ringsend is in D4...

By postcode you are quite correct Ringsend is indeed Dublin 4. If you think the area does not have it's roots in inner city Dublin, you are sadly mistaken.

I do not in any way intend this to be a derogatory comment about inner city Dublin, I am just stating facts.

Jehuty42 said:
Ringsend is in D4...

Indeed it is..it's also traditionally a working class area of inner city Dublin which happens to have a Dublin 4 postcode. What's your point?

East Road in the news tonight http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1030/eastwall.html

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!