Pete123456 Registered User
#4,936

The Humble Sausage said:
Hi. Looking at the vrt website it states that you need to get a 'Certificate of Conformity' when you buy a car and bring it to ireland. Anyone know much about this, first i heard of it? Cant find anyone referring to it on boards as something that's needed??? thanks.
http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/purchase-car-abroad.html

Are you buying a brand new car?

The Humble Sausage Registered User
#4,937

Pete123456 said:
Are you buying a brand new car?

No, 2nd hand. So thats the difference? CoC for new cars only?

Pete123456 Registered User
#4,938

The Humble Sausage said:
No, 2nd hand. So thats the difference? CoC for new cars only?

As far as I know it is only for new cars... I think it was on the thread a month or so ago. One less thing to worry about I guess?

The Humble Sausage Registered User
#4,939

Pete123456 said:
As far as I know it is only for new cars... I think it was on the thread a month or so ago. One less thing to worry about I guess?

great, makes sense i suppose. thanks.

1 person has thanked this post
bazz26 Registered User
#4,940

Certificate of Conformity is only for a brand new car that has never ever been registered before. It does not apply to second hand cars. Gets mentioned in this thread every few pages.

nicholas.murphy Registered User
#4,941

I'm importing a car next week. I've done this twice before but not for 7 years so the Motor Tax assessment is different now.

The Revenue lists CO2 on this model as 172g/km but everywhere else lists it as 167g/km, including UK DVLA. This affects the Motor Tax rate from €570 to €750 pa.

There's one of the same model for sale in Ireland (looks like a UK import) and it's showing the €570 rate when I look up it's registration.

Does anyone know if there's a way to query this with the Revenue to get the €570 rate ? I don't want to argue the VRT at all, just the CO2.

Many thanks in advance.

bazz26 Registered User
#4,942

They go off the co2 figure on the car's v5 registration document when VRTing the car. Verify the figure on the car's v5 registration document with the seller.

Marcusm Registered User
#4,943

nicholas.murphy said:
I'm importing a car next week. I've done this twice before but not for 7 years so the Motor Tax assessment is different now.

The Revenue lists CO2 on this model as 172g/km but everywhere else lists it as 167g/km, including UK DVLA. This affects the Motor Tax rate from €570 to €750 pa.

There's one of the same model for sale in Ireland (looks like a UK import) and it's showing the €570 rate when I look up it's registration.

Does anyone know if there's a way to query this with the Revenue to get the €570 rate ? I don't want to argue the VRT at all, just the CO2.

Many thanks in advance.

Ultimately they will go from what is on the V5C; the UK model might be one with a slight engine or spec difference which was neither sold here nor imported previously. Ultimately the CO2 is determined from the original Cert of Conformity which is used to populate the registration document in the Member State of first registration. There is no basis for Ireland to retest the CO2.

Spires Registered User
#4,944

As above v5 will confirm co2 for your car. On the vrt calculation on revenue page you can manually enter co2 put correctly co2 in and calculate vrt and bring printout with you when paying vrt. You can also dispute vrt price after and get refund.

2 people have thanked this post
MarkN Registered User
#4,945

Now really is a great time to be importing. The price on sterling is £1 to €1.13 today. Tomorrow it could be better again with the UK's Brexit meeting. A 2013 F13 640D is €50,000 in Ireland with plenty of miles on the clock. A 20,000 mile one including VRT is low €30,000's. Mad.

Mc Love Registered User
#4,946

Was watching it last week - it did go down to 1.14. Based on what happens tomorrow, it could go either way. And if Brexit fails in the courts, it will certainly push it back up.

mickdw Registered User
#4,947

What is the best way to pay for a car worth say 20k sterling? I mean what is the cheapest way to get sterling and what is the best way to actual hand over the payment dealing with reputable dealers.

MarkN Registered User
#4,948

mickdw said:
What is the best way to pay for a car worth say 20k sterling? I mean what is the cheapest way to get sterling and what is the best way to actual hand over the payment dealing with reputable dealers.

The OP on this mentioned a company you can sign up to but if I was dealing with a UK official BMW dealer I'd probably just get their bank account details and have BOI send it on. I'm seriously tempted now, I just need an acceptable price for mine. I'm blaming you btw!!

bazz26 Registered User
#4,949

You could use the likes of currency fair or transfer mate.

mickdw Registered User
#4,950

MarkN said:
The OP on this mentioned a company you can sign up to but if I was dealing with a UK official BMW dealer I'd probably just get their bank account details and have BOI send it on. I'm seriously tempted now, I just need an acceptable price for mine. I'm blaming you btw!!

I will take the blame on that one as long as you send me a euro every time you smile when you drive it.
Doing as you mention should achieve a better transfer rate than their advertised rate for buying sterling notes I would assume.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!