Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-07-2012, 10:07   #1
Atomic Pineapple

Operation Slow Down

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0706/ope...-underway.html

Quote:
A 24-hour garda crackdown on speeding gets under way this morning.
Quote:
"Operation Slow Down" began at 7am and will continue until 7am tomorrow.

Gardaí say the operation is designed to raise awareness of the dangers of excessive speed and reduce the number of speed related road crashes, which will save lives and reduce injuries.

Statistics shows Friday and Saturday are the most dangerous days on the roads, and July and August the peak months for fatal collisions.

Gardai say a 1% reduction in speed leads to a 4% decrease in fatal crashes.
Anyone know any more specific details on how they are raising awareness and also how they are making sure to target excessive speed as stated rather than punishing people just going over a stupid limit?
Advertisement
06-07-2012, 10:16   #2
Ardent

Dunno, but I saw a guard with a speed gun on St Stephens Green this morning. Never seen a guy there before.
06-07-2012, 10:22   #3
techdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
Dunno, but I saw a guard with a speed gun on St Stephens Green this morning. Never seen a guy there before.
Ah yes, St Stephens Green. On par with the back roads of Donegal with regards to danger.

Same as last weekend, I saw a GoSafe van on Pembroke Road, once again another straight safe road. Along with the continue lazy presence of a Garda with a speed gun at the Point side of the East Link.

Operation Slow Down, more like Operation Revenue Generation to me.
06-07-2012, 10:29   #4
fletch

I got stopped this morning on my bike on the quays for breaking a red light. In fairness to me, I stopped while the light was red but just moved off early before it was green (the sequence had been changed to increase the time between the light turning red in the other direction and the light turning green in my direction so it caught me out). In fairness to the Guard, he just gave me a good telling off and told me to be on my way.
It didn't slow me down though as I had to cycle quicker to make up for the lost time
06-07-2012, 10:29   #5
Ardent

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdiver View Post
Ain't that the truth.
Advertisement
06-07-2012, 10:36   #6
UDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0706/ope...-underway.html

Anyone know any more specific details on how they are raising awareness and also how they are making sure to target excessive speed as stated rather than punishing people just going over a stupid limit?
surely breaking the speed limit is considered excessive speed.

I assume they are raising awareness by people posting articles on online forums along with it being all over the news etc. For instance I know now that deaths have decreased but injuries have increased and that a 1% decrease in speed can result in a 4% decrease in fatal accidents.
06-07-2012, 10:39   #7
Nonoperational

Have gotten 4 points and €160 fines in the past few months doing 57 and 58km/hr. It's very hard to take, and neither were even close to being in areas known to be dangerous and neither were areas hilighted on the map on the guarda website.
(2) thanks from:
06-07-2012, 10:45   #8
Atomic Pineapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDP View Post
surely breaking the speed limit is considered excessive speed.

I assume they are raising awareness by people posting articles on online forums along with it being all over the news etc. For instance I know now that deaths have decreased but injuries have increased and that a 1% decrease in speed can result in a 4% decrease in fatal accidents.
I disagree, the speed limits here are not done based on road condition, traffic throughput, time of day, weather conditions, amount of other traffic at the time etc.... all of which are ever changing variables that would both raise and lower an appropriate speed at any given time. With this in mind someone slightly breaking a posted speed limit could not be considered to be excessively speeding by any reasonable person unless the conditions at the time were dire (ice, snow, lots of traffic)

The vast majority of Irish motorists are also unaware of motoring forums and come tomorrow they todays news and the information it presented will be all but a distant thought.
06-07-2012, 10:51   #9
Yakuza

Send a message via MSN to Yakuza
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpf101 View Post
It's very hard to take, and neither were even close to being in areas known to be dangerous and neither were areas hilighted on the map on the guarda website.
Oddly enough, speed limits apply on areas that aren't on that map too...
But I agree, getting points for being done at 57/58 (presumably in a 50) is harsh.

Graduated punishments would be fairer:
0 points+fine for up to 10% over the posted limit
2 points+larger fine from 10% to 25% over the posted limit
6 points+mega fine from 25% to 50% over the posted limit
50%+ over the limit - automatic ban (12 points)
(Just postulating a framework, the numbers could be tweaked)

The cynic in me feels that even if we could all retrofit something to our cars to use GPS or something to prevent our cars exceeding the limits, the Government wouldn't push it as they'd miss the revenue from folks getting done for relatively minor infractions.

Last edited by Yakuza; 06-07-2012 at 10:53.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-07-2012, 10:59   #10
Green Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdiver View Post
Ah yes, St Stephens Green. On par with the back roads of Donegal with regards to danger.

Same as last weekend, I saw a GoSafe van on Pembroke Road, once again another straight safe road. Along with the continue lazy presence of a Garda with a speed gun at the Point side of the East Link.

Prefer to see them in urban areas like that than on motorways to be honest. Might catch the 70kph-in-all-areas drivers.
Thanks from:
06-07-2012, 11:01   #11
Jemmy

Heard about this last night, on the raod at 7.20am and no sign of anything over a 40km journey to work on main commuter roads! What a surprise
06-07-2012, 11:02   #12
UDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpf101 View Post
Have gotten 4 points and €160 fines in the past few months doing 57 and 58km/hr. It's very hard to take, and neither were even close to being in areas known to be dangerous and neither were areas hilighted on the map on the guarda website.
So you got got breaking the speed limit twice. Have you learned yet?

I do agree that points should work on a graduated basis. 1-10km/hr over = 1 point, 10-20km over = 2 points etc..
06-07-2012, 11:14   #13
nice_guy80

for example

In westmeath, Longford, Roscommon, Offaly where I mainly drive the garda traffic corps always have the guns out on long stretches of road with plenty of side verges and no real dangers. or on a long straight road on the way into a town, where people might forget to slow down
they know people will take advantage of a good road

same with the speed cameras. located on stretches of road where a fatality happened. HOWEVER. Most of those dangerous stretches have been upgraded and so the road presents a much reduced risk of an accident. the policy is flawed.

however, you will not see the Gardai out on the bad road, full of bends, with one/two places to pass out. These are the real dangerous roads imho

more enforcement is the way to go, not cameras and speed guns
Thanks from:
06-07-2012, 11:14   #14
Atomic Pineapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Graduated punishments would be fairer:
0 points+fine for up to 10% over the posted limit
2 points+larger fine from 10% to 25% over the posted limit
6 points+mega fine from 25% to 50% over the posted limit
50%+ over the limit - automatic ban (12 points)
(Just postulating a framework, the numbers could be tweaked)
This would be great but only if there was a full assessment of the current speed limits and new speed limits based on the actual road itself rather than the size of the towns it connects. And within that road allow for dynamic changing of the speed limit.

There's far too many limits in the country that are ridiculous, both high limits on bad road and low limits on good roads.
Thanks from:
06-07-2012, 11:17   #15
Wossack

didnt see any this morning on my drive to work

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size