Ross HD satellite kit B&Q - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-07-2012, 23:52   #1
Casey78

Ross HD satellite kit B&Q

Hi
Just wondered if anyone bought one of these?
I know they are cheap (€50 atm) but I really only want it for the spare room so I have somewhere to go when the wife is watching Corrie etc in the sitting room.
It will never be used as our main source of TV stations as I have UPC in the sitting room,therefore it doesn't matter of I can't record on it or if there isn't a full 7 day EPG or whatever.
I just thought for something basic that I can watch now and then plus get ITV HD for the Champions League games it might be worth it.

Also I know it's not the thread for it but I was gonna buy a cheap TV for the spare room aswell. If I was to get a HD Ready 19" or 22" HD Ready TV would there be much difference in picture quality for a Full HD version the same size?
I would be connecting the Ross HD kit to it.

Thanks.
Advertisement
05-07-2012, 08:30   #2
dodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey78 View Post
Hi
Just wondered if anyone bought one of these?
I know they are cheap (€50 atm) but I really only want it for the spare room so I have somewhere to go when the wife is watching Corrie etc in the sitting room.
It will never be used as our main source of TV stations as I have UPC in the sitting room,therefore it doesn't matter of I can't record on it or if there isn't a full 7 day EPG or whatever.
I just thought for something basic that I can watch now and then plus get ITV HD for the Champions League games it might be worth it.

Also I know it's not the thread for it but I was gonna buy a cheap TV for the spare room aswell. If I was to get a HD Ready 19" or 22" HD Ready TV would there be much difference in picture quality for a Full HD version the same size?
I would be connecting the Ross HD kit to it.

Thanks.
1. The kit will be absolutely fine for your needs
2. On a screen that size, no, there would not be much difference. That said,
nearly all are full HD now and price difference would be negligible at that size
screen

You do know that you will need antenna (indoor might suffice depending on your location) if you required the terrestrial channels. The tv will be saorview compliant, so no need for a 2nd box though.
05-07-2012, 08:53   #3
tallpaul

Perfectly fine for your needs. The only real downside is not having a full 7-day EPG (it only has Now and Next) and you will have to regularly rescan for stations that have moved transponder.
05-07-2012, 19:13   #4
Casey78

Thanks for the help guys.
Will I have to re scan that often? It wont mean having to re align the dish or anything will it?
05-07-2012, 19:35   #5
paultf
Closed Account

Quote:
Next Thursday Aldi have a 22" HD Ready TV for €150 (I think) - Saorview approved. Not sure how good it is? 3 year warranty or return after 60 days - full refund.
Advertisement
05-07-2012, 19:48   #6
Fieldies Dreams

Sounds good for 50 quid might get 1 myself,what channels do you get with this anyone know?
05-07-2012, 19:55   #7
Peter Rhea
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.
Will I have to re scan that often? It wont mean having to re align the dish or anything will it?
The worthwhile channels rarely if ever change frequency. It should be a fairly simple procedure to sort out those that do, or add new channels. No need to go near the dish.
05-07-2012, 20:10   #8
Gerry Wicklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldies Dreams View Post
Sounds good for 50 quid might get 1 myself,what channels do you get with this anyone know?
http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&p...q&filtre=Clear

Lists what's available Free-to-air.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion