Can I support a different county hurling team? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-06-2012, 19:29   #1
TheLoneGunmen

Can I support a different county hurling team?

Can a person support a team from a county other than their own? For example, can a person from Offaly support Kilkenny? And if not, why not?
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 19:40   #2
celt262

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneGunmen View Post
Can a person support a team from a county other than their own? For example, can a person from Offaly support Kilkenny? And if not, why not?
Course you can sure a person from Cavan can play for Kildare so i dont see why someone cant support another county.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2012, 20:33   #3
Hammer Archer

Mod: GAA
Quote:
Of course you can, but why would you? As the saying goes, the GAA is about where you're from, not who you like.
Thanks from:
27-06-2012, 22:03   #4
Mountainlad

Quote:
No. When we're born the doctor inserts a micro chip inside our right arm (has to be the right arm, wouldn't work with the left) with a serial number unique to each County.

When you got through the grounds of any Senior Inter-County game (Christy Ring et al included) it reacts if you are wearing a County jersey that does not correspond with the serial number. It is able to do this as each County jersey has a matching serial number attached to the right shoulder, which is invisible to the human eye.

Now, you may think that that's grand, you'll just wear a normal t-shirt. Wrong, it's not grand. The GAA employees several operatives (secret agents if you will) to mingle in with the crowds at matches. They are highly trained individuals, and no how to tell a Cork man from a Kerry man, a feat that deserves to be treated due recognition and caution. If they feel someone is in breach of Code 62 (that's what the GAA refer to this operation as) they confront them and ask them some questions, relevant to their own County (not necessarily relevant to the GAA, as often supporters have no idea of what their County's history was like). They also strategically place themselves in toilets and behind shops, as well as disguising themselves as stewards in an attempt to suss out accents that don't belong at the match they're attending. This last one sometimes has repercussions as evidenced last Sunday in Cork. It appears to many deep-cover agents were let in and it tipped the enforcer-steward equilibrium to one side. In other words, these agents had no idea how to perform the functions of a normal steward, leading to chaos for run of the mill supporters.

I must warn you that while some cunning folks have managed to evade the authorities and support a County not of their birth, few succeed. The GAA's operatives have been briefed to eliminate any persons in breach of Code 62, quietly and discreetly. They are replaced with kinder, quieter people of identical appearance, who will stay loyal too their own County.
27-06-2012, 23:29   #5
DEFTLEFTHAND

Whether your from Carlow or Kilkenny I think you should always get behind your own team. Its a mark of a true supporter to stand by your own through thick and thin. There's an element of bandwagonery in Irish sport that I don't want to see creep into the GAA.
Advertisement
28-06-2012, 00:11   #6
deisedude

I was born and raised a few miles inside the Cork side of the Cork-Waterford border. Despite this I have always supported Waterford. My father is from Waterford and my grandfather played for Waterford and I have been going to Waterford games for as long as i can remember. Can't bring myself to even cheer for Cork because you can't have your cake and eat it!
28-06-2012, 00:21   #7
Fentdog84

Its a free country you can support who you want. But I think if i walked into my local wearing a Cork or Tipp jersey I dont think my life would be worth living. But i suppose if your from a non hurling county, and you enjoy hurling and you want to support one of the top teams, cant see much harm in that, really.
28-06-2012, 00:54   #8
TheLoneGunmen

@mountainlad: that's funny.
28-06-2012, 00:57   #9
soccymonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deisedude View Post
I was born and raised a few miles inside the Cork side of the Cork-Waterford border. Despite this I have always supported Waterford. My father is from Waterford and my grandfather played for Waterford and I have been going to Waterford games for as long as i can remember. Can't bring myself to even cheer for Cork because you can't have your cake and eat it!
Kinda the same as you Well not really, kinda, I dunno..
But I've lived in Clare for a good proportion of my life but my dad brought me to all the Limerick matches since I was a young 'un coz he's from there so I support Limerick

But ya like, it's good to support your own. I wouldn't really see how you could support fulltime a different county tbh unless you've good reason to. It just wouldn't feel right like..
Advertisement
28-06-2012, 01:12   #10
Syferus

Connacht hurling support in the All-Ireland championship is a case-study in this - the rest of Connacht defaults to supporting Galway, if anyone. I know I'd love Galway to win as it's the only way the Liam McCarthy is ever going to cross the Shannon.

The poetic hilarity of the inter-provincial starting 15 being made up of the Galway team in Connacht jerseys is lost on no one.
Thanks from:
28-06-2012, 01:13   #11
Mountainlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccymonster View Post
Kinda the same as you Well not really, kinda, I dunno..
But I've lived in Clare for a good proportion of my life but my dad brought me to all the Limerick matches since I was a young 'un coz he's from there so I support Limerick

But ya like, it's good to support your own. I wouldn't really see how you could support fulltime a different county tbh unless you've good reason to. It just wouldn't feel right like..
If you ask me, sounds like you should be supporting Clare!
28-06-2012, 01:22   #12
soccymonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainlad View Post
If you ask me, sounds like you should be supporting Clare!
And if you ask me, you should be supporting your geographical home county. But you don't
Pot, kettle, black!
28-06-2012, 11:32   #13
Mountainlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccymonster View Post
And if you ask me, you should be supporting your geographical home county. But you don't
Pot, kettle, black!
I'll link you a map sometime, then we'll see who supports their geographical home county
28-06-2012, 11:37   #14
BigFatGiant

Quote:
No you can't. What joy would you get from another county winning? This isn't the premiership.
28-06-2012, 14:08   #15
bullpost

Wee bit parochial down there are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthinlad View Post
I think that Waterford should have 2 different county teams. One from the West and one from the East. It would be nice to get all the eastern influence out of the Waterford team, but for now I think this is the only option. I think that a team made of purely western players and no eastern rif raf would be brilliant, as the west is best.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion