Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-05-2012, 19:01   #1
farrellniall

carrying passangers in the back of a van.

was just woundering what would the guards do if they seen you had pepole in the back of the van. with no seat belts or seats.

and if they cant see in to the back of the van can they ask to see in the back.

and what peneltys would you get???????
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 19:03   #2
Whippersnapper

You might get a lot of seriously injured people if you have to suddenly stop.
29-05-2012, 19:05   #3
bazz26

What a daft idea. Your insurance would probably be null and void too.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 19:06   #4
Chavways

You'd get a vanful of dead and mangled people if you crashed.
29-05-2012, 19:07   #5
farrellniall

i under stand that. but what would happen with the gaurds if some one was cought.
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 19:08   #6
Mycroft H

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrellniall View Post
was just woundering what would the guards do if they seen you had pepole in the back of the van. with no seat belts or seats.

and if they cant see in to the back of the van can they ask to see in the back.

and what peneltys would you get???????
I imagine dangerous driving at the least and if there were minors in the back you could also get charged with carrying unrestrained minors.

Mind you that never stopped me when I was younger hitching a lift in the back of a transit and kipping on a mattress
(2) thanks from:
29-05-2012, 19:09   #7
bazz26

A summons at the very least I would imagin for the driver.
29-05-2012, 19:17   #8
MugMugs
Trust Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
Probably not. Passengers injuries and third parties would be covered.

Op, you'd probably be prosecuted.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 19:20   #9
leeroybrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
Not quite. The third party insurance (including the passengers) would still be paid out by the insurance company BUT they would likely choose to litigate against the insured party to recover some or all of the cost. Even unrestrained passengers in the back of vans have to be covered (there's an ECJ ruling from five years ago about it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrellniall View Post
i under stand that. but what would happen with the gaurds if some one was cought.
As usual it would depend on the Garda. I be expecting a court summons for careless driving resulting in five points, a large fine of up to €1500. A court could even choose to apply a three month prison sentence but it's quite unlikely in this case.
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 19:24   #10
sf80

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroybrown View Post
As usual it would depend on the Garda. I be expecting a court summons for careless driving resulting in five points, a large fine of up to €1500. A court could even choose to apply a three month prison sentence but it's quite unlikely in this case.
Could they call that careless driving? I would imagine they could do you on some other type of charge for endangering the passengers, maybe not related to driving regulations.

I would expect a guard would just tell the passengers to get out.
29-05-2012, 20:15   #11
Guy:Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf80 View Post

I would expect a guard would just tell the passengers to get out.
Which is why I have such a problem with people calling for the Gardai to "use common sense" whenever certain subjects come up. From relatively minor things like illegal numberplates to things like driving along on a learners permit, the Gardai sending people off and telling them to sort it just makes the stuation worse. There should at least be a culture of the Gardai logging every stop and the reason on to pulse then after5 3 stops for the same thing a fine and points should be sent out automatically by the system.

Living in Dublin, I can be fairly confident that I could be pulled 10 times by different Gardai for the same offence. If every one of them sends me on my way with a ticking off, how is that effective policing?
(2) thanks from:
29-05-2012, 21:04   #12
Pottler
Closed Account

I thought you were looking to put a peephole in the back of your van OP - I had you pictured as some sort of spy!(alright, perv) I thought it was standard to inform anyone travveling in the back of a van that if stopped, they had to hide under whatever was already in there or they would never get a lift again.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 23:01   #13
dharn

why is your only concern what the gardai would do, how about considering how stupid or dangerous the whole idea is,as mentioned already you are not covered by insurance, and are endangering the lives of any passengers in the back of a van
(2) thanks from:
29-05-2012, 23:09   #14
Jimmy Bottlehead

OP, you're asking because you know this is wrong.

I asked the same question about 2 years ago and got dogs abuse over it. And rightly so. It's all well and good doing your mates a favour, but if you're caught, it won't be them who gets done by the Gardai - it's YOU.

You know it's wrong, you know bad things might and will happen if you're caught... so save yourself the stress and headaches, and just refuse. It's easier on you, saves a Garda a stressful night, and also means you won't have your friends injuries and/or deaths on your conscience if the worst did happen.
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 00:33   #15
delly
Radiator

This came up in a conversation a few years back, and having talked it over, we couldn't actually find an offence that could be used. There isn't a law against carrying passengers in a vehicle that has no seats with seatbelts excluding the front seats. I don't see how a careless or dangerous driving offence would stick.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion