Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

28-05-2012, 08:37   #1
Orlan65

Sun cream on car

Hi
Was wondering if i could get some help have suncream all over the boot and doors on my car and I have washed it a good few times but it is still there. Any ideas on how I can remove it from my car because there is handprints all over it at the moment.
Thanks
Advertisement
28-05-2012, 08:47   #2
biko
Percolator

It's mostly fatty cream. Did you sponge wash it with warm water and plenty of shampoo?

Edit, googled a bit, seems sun cream is extra hard to get off.

Last edited by biko; 28-05-2012 at 08:50.
28-05-2012, 09:51   #3
corktina

just have to wonder just what you were doing on the boot of your car....
Thanks from:
28-05-2012, 12:29   #4
biko
Percolator

Apparently one way is to try is to keep the affected part wet with white vinegar for 10mins (put some kitchen paper over and keep it moist), and then wash with loads of shampoo and rinse well.
You can get 5 litre plastic bottles of white vinegar in most "foreign" shops for 6-7 euro.
Also works for other water spots, acid rain, etc
Apparently it's the minerals in the cream that stain and vinegar dissolves it.

Before you try this, google it some more (I don't take responsibility if it makes things worse!)
Thanks from:
28-05-2012, 12:34   #5
Galway K9

Send a message via MSN to Galway K9
Baking soda and vinegar / (dunno about soda water) will wipe it off....Mix the two while fizzing, put on the stain.....scrub in, wipe off.

Dont scrub it in.....Also be careful doing this....I did it and worked without damage but dunno about your car / paint etc. Mine was an old car. I do not take any responsibility for it.

Last edited by Galway K9; 28-05-2012 at 12:37.
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 16:47   #6
Curran

It should come out with a light polish by hand.....unless you spilt sun cream directly onto it or put freshly applied sun cream'd hands onto the paint work.

Polishes that I would recomment would be Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Chemical Guys P40....AG SRP available in Halfords, other polishes available from reputable online suppliers.
30-05-2012, 20:02   #7
colm_mcm
rotaredoM

I've tried doing this on my mothers car, even tried compound, didn't work.
30-05-2012, 21:52   #8
Curran

It should remove it....I removed some by hand, from a car on Monday, using Menzerna final finish on a medium spot pad.
If the hand print is very bad, that the hand had alot of sun cream on it, then it will probably need a machine polish.
30-05-2012, 22:06   #9
Row

I have used T-Cut in the past to remove it...but the hand prints comes back within a few weeks...
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 00:09   #10
puppetmaster

Ive directly shampoo'd mine, Soaked in water, clay bared, Waxed, none of which has worked yet, I believe mine is more moisturising cream but no doubt containing spf, Its really begining to annoy me now, Have it on a few spots on the car, one which is two handprints on the bonnet from when the catch was sticking....

Anyone have experience with actually removing these?
31-05-2012, 18:13   #11
puppetmaster

Just to Update this, I was sick of looking at the hand prints so had another go,
After trying all listed above i went back to square one. Used petrol to clean them off, (I'm aware some ppl are against it but ive never had a problem)
so cleaned them off with a soft cloth and petrol, Powerhosed the car, then washed it with Hot water with shampoo, Dried it, waxed and polished it.
and FINALLY their gone, months they've been there. Their about 95% gone i reckon one more treatment will do it but as you can see, its a big diff.

Before Bonnet

After Bonnet

Before boot

After

Im happy anyway
15-07-2012, 23:21   #12
martyc5674

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
Just to Update this, I was sick of looking at the hand prints so had another go,
After trying all listed above i went back to square one. Used petrol to clean them off, (I'm aware some ppl are against it but ive never had a problem)
so cleaned them off with a soft cloth and petrol, Powerhosed the car, then washed it with Hot water with shampoo, Dried it, waxed and polished it.
and FINALLY their gone, months they've been there. Their about 95% gone i reckon one more treatment will do it but as you can see, its a big diff.

Before Bonnet

After Bonnet

Before boot

After

Im happy anyway

Well... Did they reappear??... Have a similar issue!!
Marty
15-07-2012, 23:28   #13
Doom

Cool, must try this, car is full of stains
22-07-2012, 07:08   #14
naughtysmurf

Same issue with my black car which is also a renault, don't know what the kids in our area have on their hands but my bonnet looks terrible, car is only a little over a year old so don't want to go experimenting with various chemicals but a sponge wash followed by power hose doesn't work, where do I go from here?
22-07-2012, 08:09   #15
justbored

small bit of petrol on a cloth, works wonders
Thread Closed