Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-03-2012, 03:18   #1
Neilw

USA resident and want to bring rifle home to Ireland

Hi all,

I'm an Irish citizen, living and working in the USA. I can legally purchase a rifle here. I'll be here for 2 years and at the end of my stay I would like to bring it back to Ireland. I've done a fair bit of shooting here using gun ranges and friends guns so it's something I would like to do more of.

The rifle I'm looking at is a bolt action remington 770 .223 with a scope.
I have never held a gun license in Ireland so I would need to apply for one and join a gun club.

So a few questions.

What are the chances of me being granted a license in Ireland for the above rifle?
Anyone know how to ship a rifle to Ireland? I presume it would have to be shipped to a gun shop or similar in Ireland.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 03:31   #2
FISMA

NeilW,
It can be done and I have done so myself.

However, if you are going to go to the trouble, at least bring back a Custom 700 or pick up a Sako. Why would you want to bring back the 770? Spend a few dollars States-side and the savings will translate.

You'll thank me later.
(2) thanks from:
31-03-2012, 03:36   #3
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISMA View Post
NeilW,
It can be done and I have done so myself.

However, if you are going to go to the trouble, at least bring back a Custom 700 or pick up a Sako. Why would you want to bring back the 770? Spend a few dollars States-side and the savings will translate.

You'll thank me later.
I take it that the 770 is not well regarded then?

The next time I'm out I'll look at the 700. The reason I mentioned the 770 is because that was the only .223 the the 2 gun stores I went to had.
The 700 is around $300+tax for the .223 with a scope. I'll price a 700 over the next few days.

Before going to look at new rifles I had a budget of around $500 in mind.

Thanks for the reply btw.
31-03-2012, 03:36   #4
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilw View Post
What are the chances of me being granted a license in Ireland for the above rifle?
Is it on the restricted list?
Quote:
Anyone know how to ship a rifle to Ireland? I presume it would have to be shipped to a gun shop or similar in Ireland.
I get the impression most airlines will ship rifles as checked baggage, but you need to check this before booking tickets. I'm not sure if there is a handling charge, but certain restrictions do apply, e.g. you may not be able to bring ammunition and a gun case would be prudent.

Is suitable ammo available in Ireland at a reasonable price / delivery time.
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 03:48   #5
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Is it on the restricted list?

Is suitable ammo available in Ireland at a reasonable price / delivery time.
I've been trying to find out about restrictions but a lot of the links are not working in the FAQ thread. Ditto for the ammo, the firearms dealers link is not working.
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 05:02   #6
FISMA

Quote:
I've been trying to find out about restrictions but a lot of the links are not working in the FAQ thread. Ditto for the ammo, the firearms dealers link is not working.
You'll have no hassle when it comes to bolt action hunting rifles. It's the semi's, ar styles, and other "mean" looking guns that will raise flags.

I love the American round, the 30-06, however, if this rifle is destined to live in Ireland, consider the availability of ammo. Consider the 243, 270, 308, and such. I'm sure the lads on the boards will advise better.

Check this link out. It's for the Howa 1500. You'll get a class rifle, mounts, rings, and glass, for $500. You'll want a better scope-ring-mount combo as you get better, but the rifle is a great piece of kit.

You'll also be allowed 10lbs of ammo on the plane. It can be in the original cardboard boxes. They just don't want reloads.
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 05:18   #7
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISMA View Post
You'll have no hassle when it comes to bolt action hunting rifles. It's the semi's, ar styles, and other "mean" looking guns that will raise flags.

I love the American round, the 30-06, however, if this rifle is destined to live in Ireland, consider the availability of ammo. Consider the 243, 270, 308, and such. I'm sure the lads on the boards will advise better.

Check this link out. It's for the Howa 1500. You'll get a class rifle, mounts, rings, and glass, for $500. You'll want a better scope-ring-mount combo as you get better, but the rifle is a great piece of kit.

You'll also be allowed 10lbs of ammo on the plane. It can be in the original cardboard boxes. They just don't want reloads.
It will be destined to live in Ireland at the end of my stay here so I'm just trying to do my homework before I pull the trigger

That howa does look very nice, cheers for the link. What's the rough cost of 243 ammo in Ireland?

Last edited by Neilw; 31-03-2012 at 05:47.
31-03-2012, 10:06   #8
CJhaughey

Quote:
It will be destined to live in Ireland at the end of my stay here so I'm just trying to do my homework before I pull the trigger

That howa does look very nice, cheers for the link. What's the rough cost of 243 ammo in Ireland?
around 35 for standard stuff.
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 10:06   #9
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
around 35 for standard stuff.
Box of 20 I take it?
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 11:21   #10
CJhaughey

Quote:
Box of 20 I take it?
Yep,thats what they come in here.
31-03-2012, 13:17   #11
foxer3640

Bear in mind that if your going for a 243 you might have to get a deer licence. Some of the supers here might not grant you a firearms cert for that caliber for fox shooting. Just something to consider. Anyway good luck im sure you have a great choice of rifles in the states.
31-03-2012, 13:25   #12
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxer3640 View Post
Bear in mind that if your going for a 243 you might have to get a deer licence. Some of the supers here might not grant you a firearms cert for that caliber for fox shooting. Just something to consider. Anyway good luck im sure you have a great choice of rifles in the states.
I'm actually reconsidering the 243 due to the cost of ammo in Ireland. Plus it could be overkill for what I want the gun for, mainly target shooting, possibly some hunting at a later stage.
31-03-2012, 18:17   #13
EWQuinn

Also may want to consider Savage Arms Rifles. Some can be had for very reasonable prices and most gun dealers can order what you want. Excellent out of box accuracy in most versions. In Ireland quarry somewhat dictates caliber, the .223 is inherently accurate, universally available and will handle your foxes and various vermin. Good luck.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11BTH

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/rif..._review__.html
31-03-2012, 20:41   #14
Farmlife

If you took up residency in the US and you are moving back to Ireland full time you have to wait either 6 or 12 months (can clarify this tomorrow) before you can apply fore a firearm licence, you will also need to get criminal record clearance from the US authorities when you do apply.

You can import a firearm and have it collected by a RFD for the period you will be awaiting your licence. But remember you will be liable for VAT and Duty on goods imported into Ireland unless you can prove they were your property for the past 12 months before coming back, and provided you import them under the "Transfer of Residence" program. probably not what you wanted to hear. but if your RFD is part of a club target range you may be able to sort use out whilst you await the licence.
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 21:32   #15
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgugliel View Post
If you took up residency in the US and you are moving back to Ireland full time you have to wait either 6 or 12 months (can clarify this tomorrow) before you can apply fore a firearm licence, you will also need to get criminal record clearance from the US authorities when you do apply.

You can import a firearm and have it collected by a RFD for the period you will be awaiting your licence. But remember you will be liable for VAT and Duty on goods imported into Ireland unless you can prove they were your property for the past 12 months before coming back, and provided you import them under the "Transfer of Residence" program. probably not what you wanted to hear. but if your RFD is part of a club target range you may be able to sort use out whilst you await the licence.
Just to clarify. I'm living here temporary, still employed and paid through Ireland if that makes a difference. I will be exempt from duty and vat on anything I bring home as I will be out of the country for so long.

So does the 6/12 months wait still apply?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion