Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-03-2012, 01:52   #1
the great purveyor of mediocrity

Is the used car market fecked?

The reason I ask is because I have had my "07 VW Passat" on sale on the various used car websites for over one full year now. In that time I have a mere one enquiry and that was a fraudulent one.
Is anyone else struggling to sell their car?
Advertisement
27-03-2012, 01:56   #2
Guy:Incognito

Is it dearer than a lot of other 07 Passats for sale?
27-03-2012, 02:00   #3

I would say roughly, that 90% are more expensive and 10% are cheaper. There are a huge amount of Passats for sale in this country.
27-03-2012, 02:57   #4
ottostreet
Closed Account

Link to the ad?
(2) thanks from:
27-03-2012, 03:48   #5
Senna
Habitual User

Over a year without selling it?? Either your not bothered about selling it, your advert or pictures are terrible or you have an unrealistic asking price.

I would always take the hit with a car sale rather than messing about, better to asked a couple of hundred less than other examples and get it sold within a week or two.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-03-2012, 06:36   #6
Vicxas

Gonna agree with Senna, maybe the pictures arent the best and thats hampering your chances.
27-03-2012, 06:53   #7
Seweryn

Send a message via Skype™ to Seweryn
Quote:
Originally Posted by the great purveyor of mediocrity View Post
The reason I ask is because I have had my "07 VW Passat" on sale on the various used car websites for over one full year now. In that time I have a mere one enquiry and that was a fraudulent one.
Is anyone else struggling to sell their car?
If your car is advertised with decent description (mentioned NCT, tax, last service, etc.), presented with plenty of good, clear photos (interior, exterior, boot, etc.) and is priced accordingly to the market value and its condition, it will sell within a month, no problem.
If you are asking too much for your car or your ad is not up to scratch, the ad will be sitting there for ages.
As suggested, please post a link to the ad, so it can be discussed.

Last edited by Seweryn; 27-03-2012 at 07:01.
27-03-2012, 08:15   #8
robbie_998
Closed Account

For the use car market being fecked i wouldnt say so.

i'd say its better than new car market

gonna agree with others when they say theres something about your advert or it cost too much etc.
27-03-2012, 09:10   #9

I'll take all those comments on board lads. Sounds like the market is alive and kicking and perhaps the issue is with my selling.
Advertisement
27-03-2012, 09:10   #10

http://www.cbg.ie/car_detail.aspx?ID=4182467

Go easy now.
27-03-2012, 09:13   #11
Bullseye1
Closed Account

I'm only seeing one picture. It would help to have more and especially the interior.
Thanks from:
27-03-2012, 09:15   #12
average_runner

Ok, I aint a car person but if i was looking at this i would go straight by it because of the picture. The shine on the car gives the impression there is dents on it. Thats my 2 cents.
(3) thanks from:
27-03-2012, 09:16   #13
MidlandsM

over priced.................
(3) thanks from:
27-03-2012, 09:16   #14
jayok

Ok, some suggestions:

1. More photos. Realistically, there's no impression of the car from a single photo. You need shots of all sides, the inside, etc.

2. Give more specific detail about the car's history. Ok, you've a FSH. Was the DMF done, it it driving brilliantly, etc.

3. This is a 5 year old car with 110K miles. In Irish's terms this is considered high. €8,500 *seems* a little high to me and to be honest the mileage is probably putting people off at that price. Adjust accordingly

4. Website. For me CBG is the lowest in my search ranking. I suggest you use donedeal.ie, carzone.ie (ok, ok and adverts.ie)
27-03-2012, 09:18   #15
Owen

CBG's not the place to be selling your car, I don't know anyone who actually uses it. Try the likes of DoneDeal, Adverts, (Gumtree's picking up in popularity these days), or even Carzone as a paid last resort.

You need a lot more photos than just the side. Particularly the interior, no one seems to take interior photos anymore.

Lastly leave out things like 'abs, power steering, electric windows'. You might as well say things like Carpet, Steering Wheel. Every car has them. Instead focus on the condition of the car, how it's been maintained, give a narrative that shows you cared for the car. Saying 'high performance' would say that you drove it like you stole it everywhere.
(5) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion