Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-03-2012, 00:51   #1
darkman2
Banned

Mahon Tribunal report

Unverified but this has been tweeted a little earlier by Village Magazine which is reputable enough with sources:

Quote:
Thursday 10 am Mahon Tribunal report, now. Mah'n and boy.

VillageMagIRE
Village Magazine

[MOD]Report is here: http://www.flood-tribunal.ie/images/sitecontent_921.pdf[/MOD]

Last edited by Scofflaw; 22-03-2012 at 15:42.
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 01:03   #2
MadsL
Elevation: 5,023ft

This could be reliable given that the editor Michael Smith instigated the whole thing.

Calls for this I think...

21-03-2012, 01:14   #3
jank

I wonder will criminal charges follow?
21-03-2012, 02:34   #4
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
So what else is going to be announced on Thursday then? It must be really bad news if they are thinking about (finally) hurling out the Mahon report as cover

Last edited by Cookie_Monster; 21-03-2012 at 02:38.
Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 12:43   #5
thecommietommy
Banned

It's weird how the media and certain commentators are quiet about the length of time (far too long - not the Tribunal's fault) and the costs (despite it being potentially self-financing) until very particular times - Ahern's evidence for example, or when the Quarryvale module was on, and now when the report is near publication.
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 18:20   #6
darkman2
Banned

So any word? I don't think it's been denied.

EDIT: RTE news tweet just now

Quote:
RTÉ News ‏ @rtenews Close
A government spokesperson has said ministers expect that the Mahon Tribunal Report will be published tomorrow.

Last edited by darkman2; 21-03-2012 at 18:24.
21-03-2012, 18:48   #7
Mr.Micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman2 View Post
So any word? I don't think it's been denied.

EDIT: RTE news tweet just now

Lets up it lives up to the expectations.
21-03-2012, 19:10   #8
Rojomcdojo

Quote:
THE MAHON TRIBUNAL’S final report into planning corruption and payments to politicians will be published tomorrow morning, TheJournal.ie understands.

The Tribunal of Inquiry Into Certain Planning Matters and Payments was established almost 15 years ago and is the longest running tribunal in the history of the State. It is expected to cost as much as €300 million when final legal bills are settled.
The publication date of the final report has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks. This evening, RTÉ political correspondent David Davin Power told the Six One News that a government source had confirmed to him the report would be published tomorrow.

TheJournal.ie has been able to confirm separately with a source close to the tribunal that its final report will be published tomorrow morning. It is expected to go live on the Mahon Tribunal’s website at 10am.

On Tuesday night, Village magazine tweeted to say the report would be published at 10am on Thursday.

Later Politics.ie noted that the magazine, previously owned by broadcaster and journalist Vincent Browne, is now published by Michael Smith, who, along with barrister Colm MacEochaidh, initially offered a IRL£10,000 reward for information that would lead to convictions for planning corruption.

The tribunal, which was initially chaired by Judge Feargus Flood and later Judge Alan Mahon, has spent the past 15 years investigating allegations of corrupt payments to politicians for the rezoning of land for development in the Dublin area.

The report is expected to deal extensively with the financial affairs of former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern who was forced to resign in 2008 amid ongoing controversy over evidence he gave to the tribunal concerning payments from developer Owen O’Callaghan.

Ahern has consistently denied any wrongdoing but questions were raised after his evidence was contradicted during the proceedings.

The report’s publication will come on the first anniversary of the publication of the Moriarty Tribunal’s final report into payments to politicians and related matters. That report was heavily critical of former government minister Michael Lowry.
http://www.thejournal.ie/mahon-tribu...391789-Mar2012

bursting with excitement.
21-03-2012, 19:54   #9
raymon

Everyone confirms that the Mahon report will be out tomorrow.

I am happy because we will no longer be spending 100s of millions of euros on this farce.

Politicians don't receive justice.
Bertie will never see a day in jail, nor will Lowry , Callely , etc

Everyone knew Bertie didn't win it on the horses. I didn't need to spend 300 million to overpaid solicitors and judges to tell me that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 20:39   #10
oscarBravo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
Everyone knew Bertie didn't win it on the horses. I didn't need to spend 300 million to overpaid solicitors and judges to tell me that.
I'm seeing a lot of this sort of reaction. I'm not clear what your point is: would we be better off as a country not having had an investigation, and contenting ourselves with simply "knowing" that corruption is happening?
21-03-2012, 20:54   #11
raymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarBravo View Post
I'm seeing a lot of this sort of reaction. I'm not clear what your point is: would we be better off as a country not having had an investigation, and contenting ourselves with simply "knowing" that corruption is happening?
You are missing the point completely.

Tribunals are a very inefficient way of bringing people to justice.
300000000 euro spent and at the end nobody is jailed ??!!

The cost is too high and the outcome is inconsequential. It will be talked about for a week then forgotten about.

Think how many white collar criminals could be brought to justice by investing 300,000,000 euro into a white collar crime unit.

Please tell me why you think tribunals are good ?
21-03-2012, 21:04   #12
Slydice

Why is it out tomorrow? We supposed to be paying an anglo bond or something
21-03-2012, 21:23   #13
oscarBravo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
You are missing the point completely.

Tribunals are a very inefficient way of bringing people to justice.
300000000 euro spent and at the end nobody is jailed ??!!

The cost is too high and the outcome is inconsequential. It will be talked about for a week then forgotten about.

Think how many white collar criminals could be brought to justice by investing 300,000,000 euro into a white collar crime unit.
With respect, I don't think I missed the point: I think you didn't make the point. If you wanted to suggest that a criminal prosecution should have been brought instead of a tribunal, you should first of all have said so, and secondly have made a compelling case that there was sufficient evidence to achieve a conviction for corruption.
Quote:
Please tell me why you think tribunals are good ?
I didn't say tribunals are good, I challenged your apparent assertion that not having had a tribunal would have been better than having a tribunal.
22-03-2012, 07:39   #14
raymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarBravo View Post
With respect, I don't think I missed the point: I think you didn't make the point. If you wanted to suggest that a criminal prosecution should have been brought instead of a tribunal, you should first of all have said so, and secondly have made a compelling case that there was sufficient evidence to achieve a conviction for corruption. I didn't say tribunals are good, I challenged your apparent assertion that not having had a tribunal would have been better than having a tribunal.
My original point was that the tribunal cost at 300 million was too expensive and that politicians generally don't see justice anyway.
22-03-2012, 08:00   #15
touts

What will today's report tell us that a subscription to the backissues of the Irish Times couldn't. We have heard it all before during the years and years and years of hearings. Today is just a reminder of the hundreds of millions wasted by people we foolishly trusted (politicians and then lawyers). In my opinion they are both as bad as each other when it comes to abuse of the trust placed in them and waste of taxpayer's money. They were all happy to trade their reputations for wealth. I'll be turning off the radio and TV for the day. To hell with them all.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion