More Gigantopithecus teeth found - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-03-2012, 20:24   #1
Adam Khor

More Gigantopithecus teeth found

We still know as little as before, seemingly. The only thing I read that I hadn´t read before was that they suffered from caries, but now that I think about it, modern apes must suffer a lot from caries too...

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-...u-plateau.html

(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 20:44   #2
steddyeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Khor View Post
We still know as little as before, seemingly. The only thing I read that I hadn´t read before was that they suffered from caries, but now that I think about it, modern apes must suffer a lot from caries too...

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-...u-plateau.html

My favourite prehistorc creature! Interesingly the new teeth paint giganto as an omnivore which is a far cry from the orignal and imo unstable bamboo hypothesis.

According to the paper it is also the highest altitude in which G.blacki is found. For my money I would bet it migrated to one altitude when one food source was available and then to a different altitude when a different food source was available. Though thats just a hunch. If it was an omnivore though it likely had a larger range than the gorilla.

The other thing is it seems to have been found in the south of china near the vietnam border. Maybe thats where we should be looking next for fossils of G.blacki.
16-03-2012, 20:56   #3
Adam Khor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
My favourite prehistorc creature! Interesingly the new teeth paint giganto as an omnivore which is a far cry from the orignal and imo unstable bamboo hypothesis.

According to the paper it is also the highest altitude in which G.blacki is found. For my money I would bet it migrated to one altitude when one food source was available and then to a different altitude when a different food source was available. Though thats just a hunch. If it was an omnivore though it likely had a larger range than the gorilla.

The other thing is it seems to have been found in the south of china near the vietnam border. Maybe thats where we should be looking next for fossils of G.blacki.
I'm pretty sure G. blacki fossils had already been found in Vietnam caves...
Thanks from:
16-03-2012, 21:11   #4
steddyeddy

Quote:
I'm pretty sure G. blacki fossils had already been found in Vietnam caves...
Shows how much I know about it! I really have to look it up. I wonder how big G.blackis range was though.
19-03-2012, 12:45   #5
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
China, Vietnam and India according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 13:13   #6
Galvasean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post
China, Vietnam and India according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus
For the record they aren't all G. blacki. there are three separate species of Gigantopithecus apparently.
19-03-2012, 13:55   #7
steddyeddy

Quote:
For the record they aren't all G. blacki. there are three separate species of Gigantopithecus apparently.
Yes indeed G.blacki was the biggest it seems. The other related species often were half as big. As an interesting aside Gigantopithecus bilaspurensis lived in northern India near where a legendary giant ape called the Mande barung is reported. Now dont get me wrong im not saying it exists but a great explanation for these legends are that they are a folk memory of human interaction with an extinct creature. Just as homo floresiensis was remembered as the ebu gogo on Flores.

Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 19:06   #8
Adam Khor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
Yes indeed G.blacki was the biggest it seems. The other related species often were half as big. As an interesting aside Gigantopithecus bilaspurensis lived in northern India near where a legendary giant ape called the Mande barung is reported. Now dont get me wrong im not saying it exists but a great explanation for these legends are that they are a folk memory of human interaction with an extinct creature. Just as homo floresiensis was remembered as the ebu gogo on Flores.
That is VERY interesting. Seems that all the places where Gigantopithecus existed (and those where it may very well have existed but we still have no fossils to confirm it) have their legends about large apes. The fact that the Mande barung is precisely three meters tall seemed particularly interesting to me...

Last edited by Adam Khor; 19-03-2012 at 21:08.
Thanks from:
20-03-2012, 13:29   #9
Galvasean

For no reason at all here is Giganto giving a man a back rub...

Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2012, 17:58   #10
Adam Khor

Quote:
For no reason at all here is Giganto giving a man a back rub...

A very ugly Giganto, too XD The guy is probably thinking "hey, you promised me a voluptuous blonde not THIS!!"
Thanks from:
20-03-2012, 18:15   #11
Galvasean

I like this reconstruction. Is it considered valid?

20-03-2012, 18:43   #12
Adam Khor

Quote:
I like this reconstruction. Is it considered valid?

If I'm not mistaken, that model belongs to the American Museum of Natural History, meaning it must be as "valid" as a Gigantopithecus model can be, considering how little we know about the actual ape's appearance...

May I mention that this particular model is creepy as hell, at least to me? Imagine meeting one of these (a live one of course) during a trek in the mountains... or in a dark alley... or anywhere XD
Thanks from:
20-03-2012, 22:54   #13
steddyeddy

Another reconstruction by reconstruction artist Bill Munns. Here giganto is depicted as bipedal however.

Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 00:00   #14
Adam Khor

Let's not forget the robotic one in San Diego's Museum of Man, easily the most orangutan-ish of the bunch and also depicted as a biped:

Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 22:52   #15
steddyeddy

Quote:
Let's not forget the robotic one in San Diego's Museum of Man, easily the most orangutan-ish of the bunch and also depicted as a biped:

Im waiting for the day that Ginatopithecus is determined once and for all to be bipedal or quadrupedal. Both sides of the debate makes an interesting case and I myself havent made my mind up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion