Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2012, 16:31   #1
TKD SC

iphone app for 1yr old - yes/no?!

Hi All,

Just wondering what the opinion out there is on iphone apps, for a one year old?
My initial reaction was no way! But, now not 100% sure. If it was limited, and I mean very limited (eg in a car, on a flight type thing), is it ok? And if so, any recommendations? Something like Sesame street, where it's a bit educational and fun (and not a head wreck for the adults too!)...

Any thoughts much appreciated...

Thanks

Simon
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 17:22   #2
annamcmahon

I don't really have an opinion about whether it's appropriate or not to download an app specifically for your child, that's really up to you. However I will warn you that if your child is anything like mine once you hand your phone over they will want it all the time. My husband let her play with his phone in the mornings while we got ready and now we can't leave our phones within her sight. She's 14months and knows how to unlock the touchscreen and has rang my dad 3 times in a week. She wants to play with it all the time. What seemed like a great easy distraction has become a pain in the bum as I can't even have it open near her or she's pulling at it.
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2012, 17:23   #3
implausible

It's no different than watching tv or playing with an interactive toy in my opinion. I have an Android phone and have Farm for Toddlers on it, my 22 month old presses the animal and it makes the noise - good for a few minutes every now and then and especially when he's getting whingy in the car (it's a 2 hour journey down home, he usually wakes for the last half hour.) I've also downloaded some episodes of Bob the Builder from Y*utube. At ten minutes each, they're perfect for distraction and for giving mammy a few minutes shut-eye in the evenings.

This is the technology they will be using in schools before long. Like everything else, as long as it's in moderation.
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 22:02   #4
Quirkygirl

phone games for toddlers

Aggggghhhhhh parents please, this is not not not good! Yes it is the technology they will be using in the future, but leave it in the future. I am parent to a 3 year old daughter and my husband downloaded games from app store with blocks etc, farm animals I wasnt thrilled but yes at times it was great. However recently I have read some really frightening studies about radiation and under no circumstances should we be giving our little ones phones to play with, The radiation form phones is very dangerous to all esp children. Another issue is the overuse of these games, Children should be allowed to develop ways to sooth and entertain themselves,without needing phones/ computer games etc.What about reading a book, playing a puzzle, colouring a picture. I carry a few little things like this everywhere I go. games are very one dimensional and they do limit kids language development.
14-03-2012, 22:49   #5
implausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirkygirl View Post
Aggggghhhhhh parents please, this is not not not good! Yes it is the technology they will be using in the future, but leave it in the future. I am parent to a 3 year old daughter and my husband downloaded games from app store with blocks etc, farm animals I wasnt thrilled but yes at times it was great. However recently I have read some really frightening studies about radiation and under no circumstances should we be giving our little ones phones to play with, The radiation form phones is very dangerous to all esp children. Another issue is the overuse of these games, Children should be allowed to develop ways to sooth and entertain themselves,without needing phones/ computer games etc.What about reading a book, playing a puzzle, colouring a picture. I carry a few little things like this everywhere I go. games are very one dimensional and they do limit kids language development.
Overuse? I mentioned that little fella watches Bob the Builder for 10 minutes on my phone. He would have to be physically glued to the phone for it to affect him. Radiation problems (if they exist) are associated with holding a phone up to your head for long periods of time. Can you post links to those studies, because I'd be really interested in reading them? If it's more than scaremongering, I'll certainly take it on board.

The other issue is that it's not either/or. Don't assume that a parent who lets their child use a phone/tablet is not providing other sources of play! My fella absolutely loves books, blocks and other toys and spends the vast majority of his time standing around a farm table with animals and tractors. My phone is simply another toy to him, which is damn useful when I need 10 minutes

It's like everything else with small kids - moderation and regular changes in activity.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2012, 00:36   #6
SarahC11

If it keeps them quite for a while then go for it!!
15-03-2012, 09:41   #7
Hannibal Smith

would a 1 year old be entertained by something like that? I'm just trying to remember when my son was that age and I don't think he'd sit still long enough for the thing to load! But it would have been great. For example, when I was in the queue to register my second one, a couple came in with their baby and what looked like a 2 year old girl. The queue was extremely long and the dad handed the 2 year old a smart phone and she happily sat watching something. I don't know what it was, but I thought it was a genius idea!

Most people know trying to get a child to sit still in a queue is near impossible, if not unfair on the child, no matter how many books/toys or whatever you bring with you. So something to hold their attention would be great.
15-03-2012, 09:47   #8
shot2go

my 2 year old loves my htc, he is not a iphone fan!
i find it fantastic when you have a child who has alot off medical appointments/physio/ot it helps keep him calm and entertained! i have jigsaw apps, talking apps with cars/animals. he loves talking tom and has downloaded a few off his friends himself. a list off kiddie friendly apps would be great!
15-03-2012, 09:57   #9
Love2love

Send a message via Skype™ to Love2love
I got my phone bill last week and it was about 50euro more than usual so I queried it and as it happens my 20 month old daughter was signing me up for premium services that were advertised at the bottom of these apps.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2012, 10:26   #10
cbyrd

My nephew at 2.5 was able to put on his own little games on his dad's laptop from the desktop. Technology aside... how is looking at a small screen any different from looking at a bigger one? My now 2 year old only started watching tv in the last 3 months.. not because i didn't want him to but because he enjoyed me reading to him more.. the thing i notice since he started watching tv... his speech has come on in leaps and bounds..'oh toodles' being the big one closely followed by piggy george and monkey george plus i can get things done when its raining outside ... or when i'm just to tired to entertain.

Anything that will entertain them instead of the stress for both of trying to keep a small child quiet is genius in my book
Thanks from:
15-03-2012, 11:38   #11
implausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2love View Post
I got my phone bill last week and it was about 50euro more than usual so I queried it and as it happens my 20 month old daughter was signing me up for premium services that were advertised at the bottom of these apps.
That's one of the downsides, the other being if it rings when they're playing with it! I'm pretty sure you can disable being able to sign up for things in your settings.
15-03-2012, 11:47   #12
CarMe

I don't see any harm in moderation at all! My little one is only 9 months and want to hold off tv etc as late as i can but i can definitely see how it'd be handy and if chosen well, educational. The only thing is, she already loves my phone to chew on, scratch at, rub etc so id be worried that like someone else said that it wouldn't be left alone. Will be interesting to see those links though.
15-03-2012, 16:49   #13
irishmanmick

I downloaded Cúla Caint (it's a irish langauge app form TG4) and I show our 14 month old daughter the pictures of the animals / objects and then I say them in english and Irish. Hoping she will eventually pick some of the Irish words up (its certainly sticking wth me!). The animals make their sound as well and she just looks at me and giggles when we are going through them.

I think if used in the right way they can be very good, educational and fun.

They will bounce your iPhone off the floor if she gets a chance tho!

Last edited by irishmanmick; 15-03-2012 at 16:53.
Thanks from:
15-03-2012, 22:19   #14
Quirkygirl

Folks please do check out the latest info and studies from the world health organisation in relation to
Children and smart phone use. To the parent allowing the child chew on mobile at 9 months old????

Also the tv thing my daughter did learn a lot from watching mickey mouse clubhouse and speech came on great. I allowed one episode a day so 25 mins, studies are now saying for under twos no tv is recommended and under 10s 30 mins a day. Tv is again just one element of stimulation and children develop better when their imagination is given a chance to develop itself, this is achieved through stimulative play, not tv or games.

downloaded Cúla Caint (it's a irish langauge app form TG4) and I show our 14 month old daughter the pictures of the animals / objects and then I say them in english and Irish. Hoping she will eventually pick some of the Irish words up (its certainly sticking wth me!). The animals make their sound as well and she just looks at me and giggles when we are going through them.

I think if used in the right way they can be very good, educational and fun.

They will bounce your iPhone off the floor if she gets a chance tho![/Quote]
16-03-2012, 01:00   #15
qtg

These apps are great.

Our son (2yrs 9mths) this Christmas got his own kids tablet. Beofre Christmas he could read 20 -30 words and sound out the ones he didnt know. He plays reading games, find the number games, colouring and uses an interactive map to show me where are our friends are in the world... he loves it.

We limit him to 1 hour a day (if even) and use in the car. We also have a baby so when we are feeding the baby on trips he can hae it then as a "treat" for being a good boy while Mammy is feeding the baby.

Since Chrsitmas, he can count from 20 - 50 (before only knoew 1 - 10), knows the names and can find many counteries on the map and can read at least another 30 words. The tablet was only cheap but a great buy.... go for it!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion