Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-03-2012, 05:46   #1
CabanSail
Category Moderator

Send a message via MSN to CabanSail Send a message via Skype™ to CabanSail
Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

This forum gets many posts seeking advice on purchasing a new camera and accessories. These posts are often along much the same lines and so the advice given out also tends to be similar.

There is already a lot of advice in the FAQ Thread where the first link is "What Camera should I buy?" This should be you first point of reference before posting. If you still have questions then see if an answer already posted here applies to you.

A few points to remember

The regulars here are not likely to be using Point & Shoot Cameras very often and as such will not be overly familiar with those type of cameras. They will still try to give advice but often that will be from reading reviews online and then passing on that information.

Many Photographers will be using a single system or brand. They will tend to be able to advise on that system but not as well on the others. Most will advise in which system they have familiarity.

System preference can become Tribal and advice can be sometimes not be impartial. It can be like asking someone wearing a Team Jersey which team is best. The reply can be predictable. This is not always the case with Cameras but is a factor to keep in mind.

Replies

Please quote the question which you are answering. If the question is long consider editing it down to make it more concise.

The previous posts in this thread can be found here

I don't know why I put up this post as those who read it are those who don't require the advice. The gormless will just plough on in, post and it will require a merge into this thread. Oh well, such is life.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2012, 21:03   #2
Arrow in the Knee

Nikon Coolpix P500?

What do you think of this camera?

Looking at getting one.

Does anybody have any knowledge of this camera like image quality,noise and other features?

Or are there other cameras that would be better than this one?
15-03-2012, 22:34   #3
penev10

I'm heading to Tokyo soon and am going to get my first DSLR having tired of my limited bridge camera years ago.

Was thing of getting a Canon 600D which is about €450 over there. Would I better off just going the whole hog and getting a 60D which is just under €600?
16-03-2012, 08:03   #4
PCPhoto

my advice is save as much as you can and purchase two - (assuming they are much cheaper there compared to here/online) one to sell off and one to keep - this way you are purchasing yours for less and making a small profit on the unopened one.

* requires them to be sold over there much cheaper than the online price
Thanks from:
16-03-2012, 11:19   #5
pixbyjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by penev10 View Post
I'm heading to Tokyo soon and am going to get my first DSLR having tired of my limited bridge camera years ago.

Was thing of getting a Canon 600D which is about €450 over there. Would I better off just going the whole hog and getting a 60D which is just under €600?
Don't forget you may have to pay import taxes
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 12:02   #6
penev10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixbyjohn View Post
Don't forget you may have to pay import taxes
It'll be the green aisle all the way for me mate!
19-03-2012, 12:12   #7
darren foran

canon 400d wide lens

hi can anybody recommend a wide angle lens for landscape photography ,im using a 400d and im an amateur thanks
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 14:04   #8
rainyrun

i have the same camera and would love advise on this too...
19-03-2012, 14:07   #9
thatsnotmyname

You can't go wrong with the Sigma "10-20"
i love it
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2012, 20:30   #10
Swampy

Need help with 1st DSLR

Hi all,

Could you please recommend a good dslr camera for approx €300. I know with this budget it will be second hand. It will be my first dslr and I just need a simple enough to use one with good results.

Thanks.
20-03-2012, 20:33   #11
PCPhoto

do you NEED a DSLR ?

Why ? would a bridge camera be enough ?

(A bridge camera is a compact camera with adjustable settings like a DSLR)
20-03-2012, 20:46   #12
AnCatDubh

lots of good options on adverts.

Take a look within your price range.

Canon and Nikon will be the more popular, but great value and equally well capable cameras in the Sony, Olympus, and Pentax offerings (just not as popular).
20-03-2012, 20:59   #13
pawrick

I'd second the suggestion of a bridge camera unless you are ready to move to dslr, I had one for a few years before moving up and it gives more freedom in a lot ways due to size - I actually use my dslr a lot less then I did the bridge because of this.

Other then that adverts.ie does usually have a good selection of second hand cameras.

Good site also for looking at different models to compare new prices/specs www.jessops.co.uk
20-03-2012, 21:18   #14
DotOrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Hi all,

Could you please recommend a good dslr camera for approx €300. I know with this budget it will be second hand. It will be my first dslr and I just need a simple enough to use one with good results.

Thanks.
most digital dSLRs have full auto modes, as well as everything in between
a second hand Canon 20d or 30d or the equivalent from nikon should set you back around €300 with a basic lens
21-03-2012, 21:54   #15

I may be upgrading at some point in the future, so looking at either 7d or the 5d mkii (can't quite stretch to the iii unfortunately), any opinions? Im leaning toward the 5d due to it being full frame and that I've had a feel of one of lately and liked it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion