Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 16:25   #1
BhoscaCapall
Banned
 
BhoscaCapall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,913
What's happening for St Patrick's Day so?

Been pretty disappointed with Galway every Paddy's Day to be honest. There's usually a plethora of crap bands on, playing music nothing to do with the theme of the day and it tends to just be a generic piss up rather than a celebration of Irish culture (don't say it).
BhoscaCapall is offline  
Advertisement
07-03-2012, 16:42   #2
squonk
Registered User
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Galway
Posts: 4,392
Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
That's everywhere OP! Same in Dublin when I was up there. I think the day should be renamed St. Buckfast's Day by the looks of things!
squonk is offline  
07-03-2012, 17:02   #3
BhoscaCapall
Banned
 
BhoscaCapall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,913
London and Glasgow both have several Irish bands and events on the 17th
BhoscaCapall is offline  
07-03-2012, 17:19   #4
biko
Percolator
 
biko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Galway
Posts: 43,965
There should be news on http://stpatricksgalway.com soon

The March 17th Parade starts at 11:30 am at Dominic street and will head towards Shop street and Eyre square before finishing around Prospect Hill at lunchtime.
biko is offline  
07-03-2012, 22:44   #5
Mrs OBumble
Moderator
 
Mrs OBumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Galway
Posts: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhoscaCapall View Post
Been pretty disappointed with Galway every Paddy's Day to be honest. There's usually a plethora of crap bands on, playing music nothing to do with the theme of the day and it tends to just be a generic piss up rather than a celebration of Irish culture (don't say it).
What would you like to see?

What sort of music would you like to see bands playing that represents aspects of Irish culture? (your average Irish musician is NOT keen to play Field of Athenry ever again, as far as I can see!)

Every time I've been to church here on St Patrick's day (meaning of the day and all), either everything or a fair bit of it has been in Irish.

I've been to three parades in Galway, and one in a small town in Mayo.

The Galway ones were bigger and more colourful, with larger numbers of national school kids murdering Peg Ryans, the Newmarket and Britches Full of Stitches. Granted there were various other cultural groups sharing aspects of their culture too, usually wrapped in green. But there were ads in the paper a few weeks back, looking for organisations to get involved in the parade - do you know anyone who took the offer up?
Mrs OBumble is offline  
Advertisement
07-03-2012, 23:24   #6
BhoscaCapall
Banned
 
BhoscaCapall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMary View Post
What would you like to see?

What sort of music would you like to see bands playing that represents aspects of Irish culture? (your average Irish musician is NOT keen to play Field of Athenry ever again, as far as I can see!)
Well that is the only Irish folk song after all

Quote:
Every time I've been to church here on St Patrick's day (meaning of the day and all), either everything or a fair bit of it has been in Irish.
That's a nice touch. Cult gatherings aren't really my scene though.

Quote:
I've been to three parades in Galway, and one in a small town in Mayo.

The Galway ones were bigger and more colourful, with larger numbers of national school kids murdering Peg Ryans, the Newmarket and Britches Full of Stitches. Granted there were various other cultural groups sharing aspects of their culture too, usually wrapped in green. But there were ads in the paper a few weeks back, looking for organisations to get involved in the parade - do you know anyone who took the offer up?
Not really bothered about the parade. Just want a few tunes really. Was just pretty disappointed most years when all the bands booked for pubs were Keywest variants.
BhoscaCapall is offline  
07-03-2012, 23:28   #7
f1dan
Registered User
 
f1dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 975
For any rugby fans the Glynn Cup between Galweigans and Corinthians will be on all day at Crowley Park in Glenina
f1dan is offline  
07-03-2012, 23:48   #8
jenno86
Registered User
 
jenno86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Wesht!
Posts: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1dan View Post
For any rugby fans the Glynn Cup between Galweigans and Corinthians will be on all day at Crowley Park in Glenina
All day?
jenno86 is offline  
08-03-2012, 03:09   #9
Viral Vector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Galway
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1dan View Post
Crowley Park in Glenina
Is that Galwegian's grounds?
Viral Vector is offline  
Advertisement
08-03-2012, 07:46   #10
ben.schlomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Galway
Posts: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral Vector View Post
Is that Galwegian's grounds?
Yes.
ben.schlomo is online now  
08-03-2012, 07:48   #11
ben.schlomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Galway
Posts: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhoscaCapall View Post
Well that is the only Irish folk song after all


That's a nice touch. Cult gatherings aren't really my scene though.


Not really bothered about the parade. Just want a few tunes really. Was just pretty disappointed most years when all the bands booked for pubs were Keywest variants.
So its bands in pubs that you want? You said its just a piss up of a day though which to me sounded like you didnt want to be involved in that aspect of it? You also said it should be more about the meaning of the day, which if im not mistaken is our patron saint which is religious, but you dont do religion? Confused much!!!!
ben.schlomo is online now  
08-03-2012, 10:38   #12
celty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galway City
Posts: 369
Occupy Galway are going to have a huge party in Eyre Square, with Cllrs Padraig Conneely and Ollie Crowe as MCs and stand-up comedians.

Bring your pyjamas for a sleepover, with Cllr Terry O'Flaherty doing a decade of the rosary at midnight. And there might be an Occupation of Supermac's if people are pished enough
celty is offline  
08-03-2012, 12:57   #13
Viral Vector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Galway
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.schlomo View Post
Yes.
Well i've learned something! Thanks Ben!
Viral Vector is offline  
Thanks from:
08-03-2012, 13:31   #14
snubbleste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by celty View Post
Occupy Galway are going to have a huge party in Eyre Square, with Cllrs Padraig Conneely and Ollie Crowe as MCs and stand-up comedians.
Bring your pyjamas for a sleepover, with Cllr Terry O'Flaherty doing a decade of the rosary at midnight. And there might be an Occupation of Supermac's if people are pished enough

Just in case anyone wants to prepare there's a flash mob céili in Eyre Square at 2pm today.
snubbleste is offline  
08-03-2012, 15:00   #15
dinneenp
Registered User
 
dinneenp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: First Life in Galway
Posts: 4,371
I'm going in with my 4 year old daughter. Any 'best' spots to stand at to get best view of the parade?
dinneenp is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet