Approaching a Girl in the Street - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-03-2012, 19:38   #1
boneyarsebogman

Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
Approaching a Girl in the Street

We've seen this happen all the time in romcoms - guy walks up to girl/girl walks up to guy they don't know and sparks a conversation, eventually leading to an invite for a coffee/pint/whatever. Seemingly this works all the time in the movies, but have any guys here actually tried it and, if so, what happened?

Humorous stories welcome!
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 19:55   #2
Princess Peach

It happened to me before. He was "from out of town" and needed directions to a pub, maybe I should join him. I kinda laughed and said no.

I'm very shy though! I never even said yes to dates with guys I met in clubs.
I guess it could work depending on the girl! It just caught me off guard, and I remember I was coming from the gym and looked like crap, no was was I going to the pub, think that was the main thought in my mind!
05-03-2012, 19:57   #3
MrStuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
It happened to me before. He was "from out of town" and needed directions to a pub, maybe I should join him. I kinda laughed and said no.

I'm very shy though! I never even said yes to dates with guys I met in clubs.
I guess it could work depending on the girl! It just caught me off guard, and I remember I was coming from the gym and looked like crap, no was was I going to the pub, think that was the main thought in my mind!
"Why hi there Princess Peach. I'm looking for a particular pub and some company........ perhaps you would like to join me?"

- "Thank you stranger......... but your princess is in another boozer!!"
05-03-2012, 19:59   #4
jaffacakesyum
Closed Account

Haven't been approached on the street by any (sober) men but I did while I was waiting at the bus stop and it freaked me out to be honest cos the guy ended up sitting next to me on the bus and I really wasn't interested but he didn't get the hint!
05-03-2012, 20:10   #5
Raminahobbin

It's really weird lads. It's common in America AFAIK, but not so much here. A friend of mine is living there at the moment, and gets asked frequently for her number by random guys. I don't know any girl who would go for it here since it's very out of the blue, but it does make us feel good!

I was in a bookshop and afterwards, while crossing a nearby bridge, a guy fell into step with me and struck up a conversation about the book he'd seen me buy. He then asked me to go to the cinema with him that weekend! I declined, as a default 'stranger alert' reaction, but looking back I think I should have gone for it! If it happened tomorrow, I think I'd still say no though. It's just too unexpected!

I also had a guy trying 'The Game' out on me in the Jervis Centre before. He was trying to do the insult compliment thing they describe in the book and hook me in with some other techniques, but he just insulted me a bit too much and REALLY annoyed me so I told him to fcuk off and stormed off.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 20:14   #6
Abi
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyarsebogman View Post
We've seen this happen all the time in romcoms - guy walks up to girl/girl walks up to guy they don't know and sparks a conversation, eventually leading to an invite for a coffee/pint/whatever. Seemingly this works all the time in the movies, but have any guys here actually tried it and, if so, what happened?

Humorous stories welcome!
I think women get weak at the knees or certainly wishy for this stuff, though when presented with it in RL most of them think you're possible loons, no offence. They are aren't being nasty, if a film pans out the right way that's one thing, in RL, the chick knows nothing of you. It's smart to be cautious.

That said, if I was a single gal and he seemed genuine, I'd have a drink with with a guy that seemed nice and was brave enough to say something (:
(3) thanks from:
05-03-2012, 20:16   #7
beks101

I think a lot of women will encourage the idea of the cold-approach, but the reality is usually a lot different. Those rom coms have a lot to answer for.

It happened to me at a bus stop once and another time on the street where some dude went from asking directions to asking me out in about 2.5 seconds. It made me smile in hindsight, but to be honest at the time my instinct was just to get away as fast as possible, as if I was trying to escape a chugger or something. It's just that caught-offguard thing, we don't have a culture of it so you don't expect it and it can be a little intimidating.

In Canada, it's different. Not as mad as the States but a hell of a lot more common. It's happened me a few times in the subway station, once in the mall and once even in the supermarket! And not because I'm some big ride or anything, it's just the done thing! It usually goes - prolonged eye contact, they move themselves closer to you and ask about train times/opening or closing times or comment on the weather, mundane stuff. The most interesting one was probably the guy who sat beside me on the subway, asked for directions to a certain street, I gave him directions, he asked if I was single, asked for my number and then got off five stops too early!
05-03-2012, 20:19   #8
Pembily

Happened me with a guy in a shop I had been in a few times. I said yes and we had a fun few weeks
(6) thanks from:
05-03-2012, 20:20   #9
boneyarsebogman

Hm. I'm quite tempted to try it now and see what happens. It would be an interesting experience/experiment.
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 20:23   #10
MadYaker

Never tried it but id say a waste of time tbh. Stranger danger kicks in.
05-03-2012, 20:24   #11
py2006

It is not something I would ever do but from what I hear, you are more than likely to freak out an Irish girl. Apparently, Russian girls are more appreciative of this approach. But don't quote me, I am no expert. I'd come across as a nervous wreck if I tried it.
05-03-2012, 20:25   #12
Pembily

Quote:
Hm. I'm quite tempted to try it now and see what happens. It would be an interesting experience/experiment.
Go for it, I was on cloud nine after it! An American friend of mine loved it as it happens regularly over there! I didn't think he was a freak but I was well shocked, I couldn't string a sentence together and for me that's no easy task!
Thanks from:
05-03-2012, 20:26   #13
boneyarsebogman

What is it that makes us like that though? I mean, it's only recently that online dating has become somewhat acceptable over here. What makes us so afraid of meeting people in somewhat unconventional means?
(4) thanks from:
05-03-2012, 20:29   #14
awec

Mod: Rugby
Quote:
Fair play to you if you give it a go. Can't see me ever having the balls to do it.

I'm sure the majority of girls would feel really flattered though even if they said no. The initial freaked out feeling would probably go away.
05-03-2012, 20:34   #15
Starokan

Tried it once years back encouraged by my mates, failed miserably, i saw the look of abject horror on her face as i began my ill fated charm offensive

At the time I felt like chucking myself in the liffey but looking back it was pretty funny, i totally lost my nerve and was just babbling some incoherent nonsense to her. Id say she thought i was let out for the day or something

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion