Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-03-2012, 10:31   #1
Branoic

3G broadband at home and iPad

Hi,

A friend of mine was asking me some stuff about iPads as she was thinking of getting one, and there was one thing I wasn't 100% on so just wanted to check with you guys.

She lives up in the mountains in no-man's-land as far as conventional wired broadband goes, so she uses one of those 3G broadband solutions - I'm not very familiar with them.

She was asking then if that meant that she would have to get a wifi & 3G iPad for it to be able to work at home. I would assume not, as I guess her 3G broadband creates a wireless network in the home which a wifi-only iPad could connect to as normal?
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 11:11   #2
guil

The broadband she has is more then likely just a USB dongle so has no way of creating an access point. Depending what network she is with she could get a mifi. It's basically a 3G wireless acces point
Thanks from:
05-03-2012, 13:12   #3
Branoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guil View Post
The broadband she has is more then likely just a USB dongle so has no way of creating an access point. Depending what network she is with she could get a mifi. It's basically a 3G wireless acces point
Thanks. When I asked her if she had a home network off the 3G broadband she said she could connect up to 5 devices to it - so is that more mifi than dongle?
05-03-2012, 13:49   #4
dodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branoic View Post
Thanks. When I asked her if she had a home network off the 3G broadband she said she could connect up to 5 devices to it - so is that more mifi than dongle?
Yep, spot on.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion