Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-03-2012, 19:25   #1
rose23

Dates of correcting conferences this year

Hi,

I got a letter last week saying I am on the reserve panel for correction of the State Exams. I want to go on holidays in early June however I want to still remain available for correcting of the exams.. Does anybody know the dates that these will be on this year??
Advertisement
04-03-2012, 20:04   #2
spurious
Category Moderator

You'll be safe enough the first two weeks of June, if not more.
04-03-2012, 20:18   #3
Postgrad10

I got reserve too . Does everyone who applied get on the reserve ? There seems to be loads on reserve.
04-03-2012, 21:33   #4
linguist

Based on my subject - French - you count eight days from the exam to day 1 of the Leaving Cert conferences. So this year French will be on Weds 13th June and I expect the conferences to be on Thurs 21st and Friday 22nd. The Junior Cert conferences in French are a week later. They have been reduced to one day in recent years so JC French should be on Friday 29th June.

If your subject is a standalone at Junior Cert, such as CSPE, the turnaround might be faster. The Chief Examiner (Examination and Assessment Manager) has to coordinate the whole thing and for obvious reasons they need to get the Leaving Cert underway first.
04-03-2012, 21:35   #5
Claregirl5

Marking Conferences

Hi Rose!

I phoned the SEC last Thursday and was informed the dates of the marking conferences had not been set yet.

C.
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 10:39   #6
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose23 View Post
Hi,

I got a letter last week saying I am on the reserve panel for correction of the State Exams. I want to go on holidays in early June however I want to still remain available for correcting of the exams.. Does anybody know the dates that these will be on this year??
You should be ok for the first two weeks of June. It takes at least a week after the first exam for the conferences to get under way. If your subject is one of the later ones the conference might not be until the first week of July.
05-03-2012, 18:33   #7
rose23

Brilliant thanks so much for the information everyone..

Im only on reserve but really hoping that I do get called for the experience and the money.. Does anyone one here know if people on reserve usually get called?? Im sure this year there is a lot of teachers on the reserve list!
05-03-2012, 20:07   #8
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose23 View Post
Brilliant thanks so much for the information everyone..

Im only on reserve but really hoping that I do get called for the experience and the money.. Does anyone one here know if people on reserve usually get called?? Im sure this year there is a lot of teachers on the reserve list!
People do get called from the reserve list, it's how I started out. It does depend on the subject. The less popular the subject, the less correctors are needed, so the less places crop up for reserves. However, if you give them a ring close to the time, around the start of June and ask if there are any places, they might keep you in mind, i.e. bump you up the list so to speak.

What is your subject?
05-03-2012, 21:50   #9
dno7239

Anyone who has corrected before, would it be possible to correct CSPE exams while working another part time job ( I am willing to work 7 days a week if its only for 3 weeks to get some money together)? ie... working mornings till 1 and then going home to correct/correct at the weekend if necessary.

Also, anyone know the full rate of pay before taxes? Thanks a million!
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 22:03   #10
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dno7239 View Post
Anyone who has corrected before, would it be possible to correct CSPE exams while working another part time job ( I am willing to work 7 days a week if its only for 3 weeks to get some money together)? ie... working mornings till 1 and then going home to correct/correct at the weekend if necessary.

Full rate of pay before taxes depends on the subject. CSPE is probably in and around €6-7 per student, but you are correcting their project booklet and their paper so essentially it's 2 papers per student for that money. You'll get about 200-250 papers in CSPE i think, each with both components. One of my friends used to correct CSPE and I think that's what the rate was.
05-03-2012, 22:05   #11
dno7239

Cheers! I will just go ahead and correct exams during the time instead of the other part time temporary job- need the experience!
06-03-2012, 17:58   #12
sjms

I am on the reserve panel for Science - do people think it is likely I will be called upon?

Also, I was wondering, I applied for the Superintendent positions too. When would one usually hear about these positions?!

Cheers in advance!
06-03-2012, 18:13   #13
sitstill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dno7239 View Post

I marked CSPE exams in 2008. I had about 350 candidates with an exam paper and project booklet for each.

I worked in the mornings from 9-12 in a summer school and then marked from 1 till maybe 10 that night and also for about 6 hours on sat and maybe 3-4 hours on Sunday. It was a horrible 3 weeks but I needed the money at the time.

So it is doable. If you go ahead with it, tell the supervising examiner that you are assigned to. It won't be a problem but they ring you most days and they would just know not to ring you in the morning.
07-03-2012, 09:54   #14
Inspector Coptoor

I correct OL LC Bio for about €9.50 a paper.
Had 265 papers last year.
1st year correcting.
Was the reserve corrector at the conference the year before.
Am doing it again this year.

Our cinference will be a 2 day one towards the end of June so you'd be safe enough on holidays until at least 15th June I'd say.
07-03-2012, 11:31   #15
sitstill

When I marked CSPE in 2008, the conference was around the 1st and 2nd of July.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion