Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-02-2012, 12:09   #1
invalid

Time for Occupy Waterford to go

Today is February 29th, the Occupy crew have had there scanty town blighting the clock tower for about 4 months now. It is time for them to go. It is unoccupied most of the time, serves no purpose whatsoever and has only marginal support from the community.

It is the beginning of the major tourist season in Waterford city. In a couple of weeks there will be the 1848 Tricolour Celebration, then the St. Patricks Day parade, then the summer will bring Sparoi and in September the Harvest Festival. All great events, run by dedicated people who truly care about the future of the city. We need the quay cleared of this ramshackle group of tents and hoarding.

I say to “the Occupiers” It is time for you to go. You have made your point and nobody cared about it. For the good of this city move on.

If the persons behind occupy wish to protest and create a political movement then do that, do not just sit in a tent and whinge about parking fines.
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 13:33   #2
Nypd

It should be bulldozed
29-02-2012, 13:39   #3
calvin_zola
Closed Account

Occupy waterford - An example of what happens when people get bored of being bored on the dole

Last edited by calvin_zola; 29-02-2012 at 15:12.
(3) thanks from:
29-02-2012, 13:45   #4
Cabaal
Cat Herding Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid View Post
do not just sit in a tent
Are they even doing this anymore though?

I've driven passed and walked passed the tents a number of time around 9pm and 10pm at night and there's never been any signs of life, no lights, no people, no noise...nothing other then the remains of a shanty town that nobody has any interest in.
29-02-2012, 14:25   #5
Sully

Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Skype™ to Sully
There rarely there, iv seen them once in the past two weeks and iv been in the area throughout the afternoon and late evening.
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 14:26   #6
batm!ke
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
Are they even doing this anymore though?

I've driven passed and walked passed the tents a number of time around 9pm and 10pm at night and there's never been any signs of life, no lights, no people, no noise...nothing other then the remains of a shanty town that nobody has any interest in.
If they are abandoned at night what's stopping someone going in and chucking the whole lot into a lorry and problem solved! Ahem
(2) thanks from:
29-02-2012, 14:47   #7
CardBordWindow

It'd be great if there was a festival on around now. Handy access to a few cheap tents!
29-02-2012, 15:15   #8
invalid

i really get the feeling that they really want to be "evicted" so they can have there go at "the Man". They seem to be the same type of group as sort of fools who think that protesting means having a riot.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 15:19   #9
Sully

Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Skype™ to Sully
Quote:
i really get the feeling that they really want to be "evicted" so they can have there go at "the Man". They seem to be the same type of group as sort of fools who think that protesting means having a riot.
Sure there never there. It wouldn't take long to clear the site. By the time they get told / notice it would be pretty much all done.

I don't understand why the council are taking so long and even allowing it. If I put up a sign on the clock tower (as they done) or erected a tent for the craic they wouldn't be long about asking me to take it down.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 15:21   #10
ikeano29

Quote:
When did they have a riot?
29-02-2012, 15:22   #11
mecco

An occupy movement without any occupation? How apt.

Handy though, an abandoned tent for anyone going to the euro finals, festival, etc
29-02-2012, 15:45   #12
Cabaal
Cat Herding Mod

Anyone up for doing some litter picking up on the quays some night, I'm sure Tidy Towns is coming up soon so we need to make a good job of it.

Some muppets have left a pile of pallets and camping crap around the bus stop so we're going to need big bins.
29-02-2012, 15:50   #13
rgmmg

Quote:
I say to “the Occupiers” It is time for you to go. You have made your point and nobody cared about it. For the good of this city move on.

Or, if they are locals, "Go wayyyyyyyy boi" should be enough
29-02-2012, 15:52   #14
ziedth

How about we occupy "Occupy Waterford" in protest.........
(3) thanks from:
29-02-2012, 15:54   #15
DaleB91

Only people i see using it are junkies now. Shooting up indoors out of most peoples way is the only good point of it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion