Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2012, 12:02   #1
padser

Shaggy as a pundit

Apologies if there is already a thread on this or if it's been covered in detail in the match thread but did anyone else find Shaggy to be a great addition to the RTE panel?

The utter contempt he showed for Hook and the way he didn't let him away with some of his drivel was priceless. There is a great moment during half time where the camera pans out from Hook and Shaggy is rolling his head in disgust.

Now if only RTE would get rid of pope, hook and McGuirke and replace them with Shaggy, O Shea and Matt Williams I might actually watch RTE coverage.....
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 12:04   #2
profitius

I think hes good. He is smart and looks on the bright side of things.
26-02-2012, 12:06   #3
Fishooks12
Closed Account

I seem to be the only one that likes Hook. Since I moved to Spain he's the thing I miss most about February weekends!

Obviously he talks out his hole a lot of the time but he needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Give me him over Inverdale and co anyday.

Shaggy is very good though in what I've seen of him before
26-02-2012, 12:06   #4
Flincher

I find his tone a little condescending at times, but his analysis in general seems spot on.
26-02-2012, 12:31   #5
ray jay

My one reservation is that he's still a member of the Leinster squad so he can't be too critical of team mates.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 13:04   #6
Tox56

Same as above, current players can't really make great pundits, but when he retires I'm sure he will be very good.
26-02-2012, 13:08   #7
WeeBushy

Has the making of a great pundit imo. He's very articulate, and when he (sadly) retires he won't be as restricted from being critical of his team mates. Offers a different, more informed, outlook to the bluster of Hook, Pope and McGuirk which can only be a good thing.
26-02-2012, 13:11   #8
wprathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tox56 View Post
Same as above, current players can't really make great pundits, but when he retires I'm sure he will be very good.
Frankie Sheehan
26-02-2012, 13:27   #9
Higher
Banned

The best pundit in Ireland and the UK for that matter from what I have seen.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 13:37   #10
thebaz

I think it is good to get a fresh take on the game, especially from someone well connected to the setup - Hook , however hard he tries , will never be a dunphy , Eamon was original , Hook is just a bore , well past his sell by
26-02-2012, 13:44   #11
MungBean
Closed Account

I think he's a good pundit, he has a good technical insight and counterbalances Hook's nonsense pretty well.

I dont think the fact that he's still a Leinster player detracts from his punditry at all. I think it makes him better for it because it forces him to be diplomatic so he cant be accused of being blatantly biased like Frankie which makes him more credible.

He does get a bit tongue tied now and again but I'm sure its not easy trying to condense your opinions into a 15 second answer. A panel of Shaggy, Conor and Pope would be great. Pope is a decent analyst I think but Hook has dragged him down to his level over the years. Take the troll that is George Hook out of the panel and I think we could have great insight, and disagreements on the core issues rather than disagreement for the sake of TV at the expense of everything else.
26-02-2012, 14:22   #12
boynesider

Shaggy is a sound man.

But as a fellow Meath man and a near enough neighbour of his I haven't a clue were hes got that accent from! At least the likes of Kearney can use the excuse that they went off to boarding school
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 14:56   #13
its_phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynesider View Post
Shaggy is a sound man.

But as a fellow Meath man and a near enough neighbour of his I haven't a clue were hes got that accent from! At least the likes of Kearney can use the excuse that they went off to boarding school
You trying being mates with Brian O'Driscoll so!
26-02-2012, 15:56   #14
yosser hughes

Quote:
Shaggy is a sound man.

I think he can be thankful he has lost the Meath accent
In fairness,how long has he been living in and earning his living in Dublin?
26-02-2012, 16:55   #15
skregs

Quote:
Shaggy is a sound man.

Are his parents not English? At least they lived in England for years before he was born, so he probably got it from them

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion