Clans/Guilds/Gaming Groups etc. Your Thoughts? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2012, 03:09   #1
Sasquatch76
Closed Account

Clans/Guilds/Gaming Groups etc. Your Thoughts?

Howdy.

What are your thoughts on game clans, groups, guilds etc? Ever been a member of one? Are they more or less obsolete now with the advent of Steam, Xbox Live, Playstation Network etc?

I'm toying with the idea of starting a clan related project, so just looking for opinions and thoughts, and any personal experiences you'd like to share would be great!
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 07:45   #2
nix

What game are you thinking of setting up a guild/clan for??

Its an important factor to help you with your decision is why i ask

From a general perspective there will always be clans/guilds, they are the perfect way of getting to know people and making friends for online gaming.

I usually always join one if im enjoying the game and see myself dedicating all my gaming time too, have done since i started online gaming over 15 years ago.

If you already have alot of online friends id just play with them, if you get a good group of people and wish to take your game more seriously (tournaments etc) then id make a clan and do the whole website thing..

Its hard to run and maintain guilds/clans so id only make one myself if i had a decent amount of people from the get go, otherwise, just join a clan yourself
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 12:46   #3
Sasquatch76
Closed Account

Thanks for the reply nix - hugely appreciated!

I should clarify, I'm not looking to set up an actual clan. Rather, I've had an idea for a project that is related to clans and online gaming in general. Before I put any serious work into it however, I need to do a wee bit of informal research to see if it's worth my while, if that makes sense!

So, you've obviously had positive experiences playing with clans. Any downsides to clan gaming from your point of view? Have you ever joined a clan and thought, "Actually, I don't really want to play with these guys"? Did you compete in any tournaments?

Any feedback from yourself or others would be greatly appreciated
26-02-2012, 13:32   #4
boneyarsebogman

Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
I used to be in a clan, somewhat, well more a group called Happy Penguin in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
26-02-2012, 15:24   #5
SeantheMan

Send a message via Skype™ to SeantheMan
Hi Sasquatch,

I've been in the same clan the last 7 years {DoWUK} , they've been going 10 years I think, having our 10th celebration this year.
http://dowuk.co.uk/news.php
Most people who are currently there have been so for a number of years, as we don't just let anyone in.

It has been mostly for FPS, starting with MOHAA, through COD, COD2, COD4 etc and now and again taking in some other games that some of us play.
(which we did/do play in leagues)

We did set up DoWUK guilds when we played some Guild Wars and LOTRO , but we found that the people who joined weren't as active on our forums or on ventrillo as our longterm members.
As with MMO communities are normally ingame things, whereas for FPS it's nice to have a forum etc to go back to after.

Clans /Guilds should have a charter or ruleset so as filter applicants etc, else sometimes it can get diluted.
You will see communites like Lotus , with 1000's of member accross multiple games where nobody knows anyone.
I can safely name all 20+ in my clan by name, real name and voice.

They are an excellent social forum outside of actually playing too, as you come to meet different people and form real friendships.
Most of the lads are in England, but 1 or 2 are from abroad.
Each year we all meet up for a weekend at a central location though for pints and whatever, and it's never weird, as we know each other like normal friends.

As far as downsides go, now and again you can get someone in your clan who totally upsets the balance of things, and he has to be kicked.
For this reason we have implemented the rule where any new member has a 2 week trial and afterwards has to achieve a 70% pass rate on a forum vote of members.

There only negative, I wouldn't call it bad experience, was before I joined DoWUK after my original clan split up, I wanted to move to a more competitive clan in the league. After a few weeks I realised the "fun" aspect was missing, as it was all about practicing, tactics and matches....there was no late night chats or fun games of random stuff like Starcraft or Civ5 etc....so I left them and found my current clan a few weeks later.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 17:54   #6
Ross_Mahon

Send a message via MSN to Ross_Mahon
There is too much drama and dedication involved with clans, i would rather play casually with close mates and have a laugh
26-02-2012, 18:21   #7
SeantheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_Mahon View Post
There is too much drama and dedication involved with clans, i would rather play casually with close mates and have a laugh
That is one of the most uninformed statements I have read this year.
You obviously don't have a clue.
You may be mixing clans up with "competitive gaming franchises"
My clanmates are all friends, I've known for 7 or so years, and I don't play in any competitive leagues.
When a new game comes out I can easily grab a few and say, lets try this L4D2, Civ5, BF3 etc...most recently a load of us downloaded the Mass Effect 3 demo so we could do its Multiplayer.
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 19:51   #8
Sasquatch76
Closed Account

Excellent post above there Sean, thanks!

I've been in a clan myself on and off for a few years now, and your experience is quite similar to my own - playing for fun with more easy-going types rather than an ultra competetive clan. One or two individuals, and then some health problems, kinda made me less active, but overall, it was a good experience.
26-02-2012, 21:43   #9
sarumite

I think clans/guilds in MMO's are great. I only ever really played Guild wars, however it was being in my guild that made it worth playing. I play COD with friends, some of whom I don't know in real life. We personally don't maintain a forum or anything, though in many ways it is effectivly a clan. I don't play COD when they are not online. There are many different clans available, so its not as if every clan will be uber competitive.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 23:04   #10
Ross_Mahon

Send a message via MSN to Ross_Mahon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeantheMan View Post
That is one of the most uninformed statements I have read this year.
You obviously don't have a clue.
You may be mixing clans up with "competitive gaming franchises"
I'll concede I may not have had the same experience of clans that you've had but that doesn't automatically render my opinion invalid just because it differs from yours. ANY feedback means any feedback; good or bad. My negative experience wasn't meant as a negative reflection on you or any clans you may have played with; it is merely My opinion. I respect yours, I'd appreciate if you could do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch76 View Post
Any feedback from yourself or others would be greatly appreciated
Any research into Any topic requires consideration from multiple view points, does it not?
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 23:19   #11
Sasquatch76
Closed Account

Quote:
ANY feedback means any feedback; good or bad. My negative experience wasn't meant as a negative reflection on you or any clans you may have played with; it is merely My opinion. I respect yours, I'd appreciate if you could do the same.
I'm anxious to hear all sides and views, definitely!

But it probably would have been better if you had qualified yours, as otherwise it looks like a generic blanket statement. However, I'm genuinely interested - what experiences have you had to lead you to that opinion?

To everyone else; if you've been in a clan, how did you join? Did you stumble upon each other whilst playing, actively search out a clan or what? What made you choose the clan you ended up joining?

Last edited by Sasquatch76; 26-02-2012 at 23:22.
27-02-2012, 00:29   #12
SeantheMan

Quote:

Any research into Any topic requires consideration from multiple view points, does it not?
As sasquatch said, I felt it was a general blank statement that seems to apply to every/any clan.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and feedback should be honest, but give reasons as to why you feel such
27-02-2012, 08:15   #13
ShadowHearth

Well no one talks about guilds

Let me be the nerd here so!

I met few lads when I started playing WOW. We were getting on very well so made our own guild. After alot of time messing around we got ventrilo server. Turns out most of the lads are from northern Ireland with a few from uk! That's was 5-6 years ago. In that te out guild was getting bigger. At one stage we had 2x25 raids full time. Then pfc drama and guilds falls apart, but our main core people always stayed together. So 6 years in we are very good friends. We all gather up in northend Ireland for 1-2 weeks atleast once a year for total nerd fun! LAN party, paintball, air soft, movies, restaurants, pubs, general nerd shoping in Belfast . We are not playing wow for 1-2 years, just drop in drop out now and then, but we are always on ventrilo server playing lol, BF3, company of heroes. Last night lads bought farming simulator too.... This is the first time I told them: lads, your a a bunch of ****ing idiots!!

No matter what I play or where I am, I am always under the banner of British bulldogs!!! [BB]
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 09:41   #14
Chairman Meow

I remember the days of clan gaming in BF:V. The TiG/NRG stuff on here used to be epic drama. Wouldnt bother with clan gaming nowadays tho, dont have the time for it, and alot of clans take it far too seriously.
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 13:10   #15
Chavways

I think a lot of people take clans way too seriously these days,especially in FPS games.Theres rules and limitations on what you are allowed to do and not do.I dont understand why they just cant play casually and enjoy the game without putting barriers in place to restrict themselves.

I understand people getting a few friends together to try to win matches but taking the games way too seriously is just annoying to me.

Last edited by Chavways; 27-02-2012 at 13:13.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion