The junk we eat that passes for bread. - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2012, 23:34   #1
Going Forward

The junk we eat that passes for bread.

Does anyone agree that the quality of many sliced pans has decreased in the last few years?

Its nearly all mush now IMO.

I usually get the Aldi 800g brown sliced pan, which I like, but recently got the Tesco equivalent- not as nice.

The modern mass produced "baking" process has been covered in detail elsewhere, eg;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...p-iceberg.html

Anyone recommend a good supermarket own brand bread or otherwise affordable alternative?
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 08:20   #2
dudara
Category Moderator

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 08:31   #3
Gordon
Administrator

Admin: Prison
I just bought a breadmaker and I'm really happy with it. Not only can you make bread in the style you want, you can chuck flour & stuff into it and just leave it to make pizza dough. It'd probably be a long time until it saved you money, but the fact that you know exactly what goes into it, and the smell of fresh bread is great.
21-02-2012, 08:43   #4
markfla

count yourself lucky you're not in the states, been in Phoenix the last two months and the bread is worse than anything you can get in Ireland. Bread that stays soft for a couple of weeks you'd have to be suspicious of!
21-02-2012, 08:47   #5
blatantrereg

just get better quality bread. Some soda bread is just flour, buttermilk, soda really.
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 08:49   #6
brick tamland

Id be interested to know whats the best comercial bread to be buying too. I like the idea of making my own bread but its not an option for me unfortunatly.
21-02-2012, 09:15   #7
blatantrereg

oops sorry I missed the question in my last post.
McCambridges is decent and widely avaialable. Ingredients:
Fresh Buttermilk, Wholemeal Flour, Wheatflour, Bicarbonate of Soda, Salt, Wheatgerm.

Nothing else.

Some of the "Seán's Bread" or whatever it is called are even better - some of them only use wholegrain. But it might not be in the supermarket.
21-02-2012, 09:37   #8
emeraldstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfla View Post
count yourself lucky you're not in the states, been in Phoenix the last two months and the bread is worse than anything you can get in Ireland. Bread that stays soft for a couple of weeks you'd have to be suspicious of!
And it tastes sweet, there's so much sugar and crap in it.
21-02-2012, 09:40   #9
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldstar View Post
And it tastes sweet, there's so much sugar and crap in it.
That's good ol' corn syrup, which I think is also why their bread always has a slight yellowish tinge to it. Disgusting horrible stuff indeed.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 09:56   #10
Cardinal Richelieu
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I just bought a breadmaker and I'm really happy with it. Not only can you make bread in the style you want, you can chuck flour & stuff into it and just leave it to make pizza dough. It'd probably be a long time until it saved you money, but the fact that you know exactly what goes into it, and the smell of fresh bread is great.
Let us know in 6 months if your still using it, IMHO its one of those gadgets people rave about for 2 months then becomes an over sized paperweight in the kitchen.
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 10:01   #11
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Richelieu View Post
Let us know in 6 months if your still using it, IMHO its one of those gadgets people rave about for 2 months then becomes an over sized paperweight in the kitchen.
I've had mine (a Panasonic SD-253) for nearly six years now and it gets used every week at least.
21-02-2012, 10:04   #12
ElleEm

I'm considering getting a bread maker. My mother has one and uses it a couple of times a week for plain white and flavoured bread. Yum!
21-02-2012, 10:06   #13
vibe666

Send a message via ICQ to vibe666 Send a message via MSN to vibe666 Send a message via Skype™ to vibe666
i read something recently that was saying that the wheat used to make bread these days has been modified so much since (approx.) the last 50 years or so with selective breeding and then genetic manipulation that there is a bigger difference (genetically) between the wheat of 50 years ago and the GM crops of today than there is between humans and apes.
21-02-2012, 10:18   #14
Cardinal Richelieu
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe666 View Post
i read something recently that was saying that the wheat used to make bread these days has been modified so much since (approx.) the last 50 years or so with selective breeding and then genetic manipulation that there is a bigger difference (genetically) between the wheat of 50 years ago and the GM crops of today than there is between humans and apes.
Evolution, most food crops have been modified by selective breeding plus now look at the wide variation of food DNA that we consume compared to are ancestors. If you want original bread try spelt flour.
21-02-2012, 10:45   #15
Dizzyblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Richelieu View Post
I have my Panasonic years and I use it 3-4 times a week. It's the one gadget that I couldn't live without. The bread is amazing, I make mostly granary bread and a French bread that's fluffy and crusty just like a vienna roll - it's delicious.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion