Kevin Kilbane - Player Manager of Sligo? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2012, 10:25   #1
Raskolnikov

Kevin Kilbane - Player Manager of Sligo?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-3024526.html
Quote:
SLIGO will narrow down the list of applicants for their manager's job this week, and decide whether to appoint from abroad or to look for domestic experience after receiving over 40 applications for the task of replacing Paul Cook.

Kevin Kilbane, who has recently taken over as manager of the Hull City reserves, is the most eye-catching name to have expressed an interest.

Kilbane is sidelined with injury and is willing to consider a move to the Showgrounds in a player-manager capacity.

However, Sligo plan to speak to a shortlist of candidates about the position and hope to accelerate the process this week with a view to having a new man in place ahead of the season opener on March 2.

Their former boss Cook, who moved back to England to take charge of Accrington Stanley, was brought crashing down to earth on Saturday when his new side lost 4-0 at home to Plymouth.

Meanwhile, title favourites Shamrock Rovers have completed the loan signing of Swedish U-21 international goalkeeper Oscar Jansson from their Europa League opponents Tottenham Hotspur.

Jansson will be with the Hoops until June.
Would be a great move for both parties, the LOI would get an Ireland international and Sligo would be a great stepping stone for an ambitious young manager.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 11:08   #2
killwill

Would love to see Kilbane get it.
20-02-2012, 11:11   #3
_blank_
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by killwill View Post
Would love to see Kilbane get it.
why?

Are you a Sligo fan?

If you are a sligo fan, why do you want an inexperienced manager at the helm while your team is challenging for the league title, and competing in Europe?
20-02-2012, 11:18   #4
_blank_
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-3024526.html
Would be a great move for both parties, the LOI would get an Ireland international and Sligo would be a great stepping stone for an ambitious young manager.
How would it be "good" for Sligo?

They already have decent corwds for their size, they already compete at the top end of the Premier table, and are the current holders of the FAI Cup and came 2nd last season, to a very good Shamrock outift.

Kilbane is inexperienced, and would have a very limited knowledge of the LoI.

I fail to see how Sligo could benefit from such an appointment.
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 11:23   #5
theteal

Sligo is a big job with realistic expectations of a top 2 finish. They are not going to mess with this to facilitate a managerial experiment for Kilbane. . .I would expect
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 11:23   #6
Fizman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
why?

Are you a Sligo fan?

If you are a sligo fan, why do you want an inexperienced manager at the helm while your team is challenging for the league title, and competing in Europe?
Ah Jasus Des, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I could be wrong but is the league not in off-season mode, so nobody is 'challenging for a title'. I know what you are referring to, but again, I don't see why you'd make that an issue. Are you implying that no club (any club with aspirations for next season) should be willing to take on KK as manager in that case?

Yes, there is a degree of risk, but that's the case with every young manager.

Why would a club like Sligo NOT want a guy like KK on board? Nice bloke, honest, very hard working. You get the sense he'd put everything into it etc etc.
20-02-2012, 11:24   #7
Xavi6
PFJ4LYFE

He doesn't have the qualifications to take over now right? (no Pro or A Licence I believe)
20-02-2012, 11:28   #8
dan1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizman View Post
Why would a club like Sligo NOT want a guy like KK on board? Nice bloke, honest, very hard working. You get the sense he'd put everything into it etc etc.
Because he has little to no managerial experience. At the time I wasn't too happy about Fenlon taking over at Shels when Keely left first time round as he had no experience although it did work out ok in the long run.
20-02-2012, 11:34   #9
killwill

Quote:
why?

Are you a Sligo fan?

Because I think he would be a good manager at LOI level.

Yes I am a sligo fan. I do realise he has not got experience and he would be out of his debt in Europe but come on, all LOI managers are FFS
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 11:36   #10
_blank_
Closed Account

Quote:
Because I think he would be a good manager at LOI level.
on what evidence?

I'm genuinely curious...
20-02-2012, 11:37   #11
super_furry

If he doesn't have a Pro licene then it's hard to see him get it with Sligo involved in the Europa.
20-02-2012, 11:37   #12
gustavo

Would rather Martin Russell tbh.
20-02-2012, 11:38   #13
gustavo

Quote:
all LOI managers are FFS
You've missed the last few years so ?
20-02-2012, 11:41   #14
killwill

Quote:
on what evidence?

I'm genuinely curious...
I don't have evidence to support my OPINION because as you well know he has no managerial experience to support experience.

Sam Allardyce started his managerial career at Limerick FC didn't he? Was there any evidence he would be a good manager? No

Everyone has to start somewhere and I would like to see and Irish legend(in my eyes anyway) start his managerial career at a club I support.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 11:42   #15
killwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
You've missed the last few years so ?
No I haven't.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image