Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-02-2012, 20:12   #1
x3wiggles

Stealing domain names

Interestingly enough, when I was looking up various domain names before buying, I finally settled on one that looked the best (and was available). Low and behold, a few days later when I was on hostgator.com getting ready to buy the domain and hosting, the domain had been bought. I'm siiiick of this happening as it's happened to me before. Raging.

Has anyone else had this problem when looking for an available domain name to buy?
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 20:30   #2
Chet Zar

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3wiggles View Post
Interestingly enough, when I was looking up various domain names before buying, I finally settled on one that looked the best (and was available). Low and behold, a few days later when I was on hostgator.com getting ready to buy the domain and hosting, the domain had been bought. I'm siiiick of this happening as it's happened to me before. Raging.

Has anyone else had this problem when looking for an available domain name to buy?
Why on earth would you wait three days to purchase a domain you want, when it takes 3 seconds and cost about €6 a year?!

Best bet is to just snap it up if you've settled on it - you can always look at hosting afterwards
(4) thanks from:
16-02-2012, 20:38   #3
x3wiggles

I have two jobs. one of which is web design. i couldn't get to the bank to lodge in my account. i can get cheaper than that if i don't use digiweb. i get hosting and domain all in one.
17-02-2012, 09:27   #4
cormee

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3wiggles View Post
I'm siiiick of this happening as it's happened to me before.
17-02-2012, 16:29   #5
jmcc
Hackwatch

It used to be quite common a few years ago. Even Network Solutions used to pre-emptively register domains that people had searched for through their site. It is relatively rare these days. However if you spot a good domain that you think you could use, register it.

Regards...jmcc
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 12:07   #6
matt-dublin

Send a message via MSN to matt-dublin Send a message via Skype™ to matt-dublin
ill sell you your domain name(s) back to you for....

ONE MILLION DOLLARS...
*makes doctor evil face and points pinky to side of mouth*
20-02-2012, 13:31   #7
Clanket
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Zar View Post
Why on earth would you wait three days to purchase a domain you want, when it takes 3 seconds and cost about €6 a year?!

Best bet is to just snap it up if you've settled on it - you can always look at hosting afterwards
Where can you register a domain name for €6 a year?
20-02-2012, 13:33   #8
smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanket View Post
Where can you register a domain name for €6 a year?
http://www.blacknight.com/
http://www.godaddy.com/

And millions more sites.
(3) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 13:39   #9
PCPhoto

OP how is it stealing - if someone else has the same idea to register that name to you ...for all you know they could have looked at the domain name five(5) days before registering it.

its not stealing !!

- by your logic I invented loads of things, but the person/company thats credited with it stole it from me because they had the time/money to develop the idea/product before me, I'm still holding out for my latest idea, but need time and money to develop it and dont want someone to take part of the profit because they have invested, its my baby I want to create it and get the fame for it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 00:34   #10
Eoin

I would consider it bad form if they somehow managed to register a domain name you had previously registered but forgot to renew. That would still be careless of you, but you might have a bit more right to be pissed off about it.
21-02-2012, 08:46   #11
smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
I would consider it bad form if they somehow managed to register a domain name you had previously registered but forgot to renew. That would still be careless of you, but you might have a bit more right to be pissed off about it.
I registered a .ie domain name years ago, payment was taken and a month later I was asked for company info to complete the registration. I was a bit annoyed as I registered the domain as a person and not a company and then when I went to submit info to the CEO to register the business name I realised the domain had been resold. When I questioned the registration company I was told I didn't get my info to them quick enough and they'd refund me, minus a €10 admin fee. I nearly hit the roof! Especially when someone else then registered a nearly identical domain and created the same site I wanted to make.
22-02-2012, 14:43   #12
jmcc
Hackwatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPhoto View Post
OP how is it stealing - if someone else has the same idea to register that name to you ...for all you know they could have looked at the domain name five(5) days before registering it.
Read this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_front_running ) as it might answer the question.

Regards...jmcc

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion