Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2012, 23:15   #1
Scubadevils
Did I dream, you dreamed about me?

What headphones do you own?

I have a real addiction to headphones which I suspect I'm not alone in My collection consists of a number of headphones for various listening situations - a few different sets of full size for at home and one then that I use in terms of an IEM on the move. So this is what I've gathered over the years and my prefered listening scenarios...

Starting with my pride and joy, the Sennheiser HD650 - I have these about a year and love them... they are mainly for listening to CDs or vinyl at home... Nothing like sitting down at night and chosing an album to sink into with these on.

Next are probably what get most use which are my IEMs, the Sennheiser IE8 - again absolutely love them and never leave home without them. I travel a fair amount so these are essential for flights, trains, buses etc. I had the IE6s prior to these but they have been since passed on to my wife.

Then my DJing headphones and a set I've used also when going on family holidays, the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii... they are a perfect travel companion for longer flights (great noice cancellation) plus good and durable getting thrown in and out of bags, kids using them on portable DVD players etc. They've seen better days though as I've had them years, I need to replace both ear pads - gone through some serious abuse though in terms of parties, falling asleep with them on, standing on them etc etc etc... the sound in one ear can drop off at times so a cable replacement also required!

I made a big mistake about 2 years ago and bought a set of the Bose Around-Ear headphones, a seriously boring set of headphones with really flat sound. I use them mostly now to fall asleep as I don't mind too much if I wake with them crushed under me - in fairness I've fallen asleep many a time and found them under me at some point during the night, they've surived well but still the worst set of headphones I've bought... oh I will say that they are a very comfortable set and especially light on the head. Thankfully I didn't pay full price as I work in the electronics industry and had access at a better price Actually, I'd like recommendations to replace these - something very light, durable and closed so that they do not disturb my wife!

Finally, my latest addition are the AIAIA TMA-1 - I've only had them a day and already in love... these will take up the role of DJing and probably travel. They've had generally very positive reviews, all of which so far I agree with.

Numerous others that I want but can't have for now anyway... I'd love something from Grado, Audio Technica, Shure to name a few. I reckon Grado are next on the list though when possible.

So what do you stick on your head?!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2012, 00:05   #2
cnocbui

Sony MDR-D77 which I have had since new for 26 years and have repaired about 20 times.. lately I have acquired a set of Radius colour in ear buds which are cheap, sound better than the price would suggest, and so far have proven to be well made.
11-01-2012, 00:49   #3
Morf

Audio Technica ATH M50's
Audio Technica ATH Ad 700's

I just got the M50's recently and I'm enjoying the punchier sound and much greater isolation.

I must give the AD 700's a go when it late at night and quiet and see how they compare then.
11-01-2012, 19:06   #4
nesf

Sennheiser HD240 Pro, HD25-II, HD598, CX400-II (spot a pattern? )
Etymotic hf3
Steelseries 7H USB (gaming headset, not used now)

A bunch of other junky earphones and IEMs not worth mentioning (the CX400-II almost fits into this category!).

Curious about: Grado, Shure Studio Monitors and IEMs, Audio Technic and Beyerdynamic at the moment. Not planning any purchase soon though.

Last edited by nesf; 11-01-2012 at 19:10.
11-01-2012, 19:11   #5
nesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadevils View Post
Starting with my pride and joy, the Sennheiser HD650 - I have these about a year and love them... they are mainly for listening to CDs or vinyl at home... Nothing like sitting down at night and chosing an album to sink into with these on.
Ever listened to the HD598? I'm curious what the sound difference is like between them.
Advertisement
11-01-2012, 20:19   #6
Explosions in the Sky
Closed Account

Panasonic RP-HX40's
11-01-2012, 20:33   #7
musiknonstop

Sennheiser RS120, PX-100 (2 pairs), PX-100IIi, PXC 250, PXC 300, PXC BT310BT, MX 500, CX 300, CX 870
Koss Porta Pro
Klipsch Image X1
:-)

Last edited by musiknonstop; 11-01-2012 at 20:34. Reason: Forget X1
12-01-2012, 00:10   #8
Scubadevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Sony MDR-D77 which I have had since new for 26 years and have repaired about 20 times.. lately I have acquired a set of Radius colour in ear buds which are cheap, sound better than the price would suggest, and so far have proven to be well made.
Wow, just looked up those Sony headphones and I recognise the design - I'm not sure if I knew someone with them or if they were still being sold around 1993 or 1994 - I worked in Harry Moore back then and they may have stocked them or a similar design. Certainly seem a highly regarded headphone anyway!
12-01-2012, 00:12   #9
Scubadevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesf View Post
Ever listened to the HD598? I'm curious what the sound difference is like between them.
No but I had the 595 before the 650, can't remember to be honest how much of a difference I noticed when I changed them - I since sold on the 595s so can't even compare them now. It took a while though on the 650s also for me to really hear what they were all about.
Advertisement
12-01-2012, 00:14   #10
Scubadevils

Been watching these for a while on adverts and would love them but really can't splash out at the moment... I've never even listened to a set of Grado but they are high on my list for next purchase.

http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/gra...8aa-1326326329
12-01-2012, 08:13   #11
nesf

Quote:
It took a while though on the 650s also for me to really hear what they were all about.
Yeah I'm having a similar thing with the 598s. It took me about a week for my ears to get used to them after the HD25-IIs.
18-01-2012, 21:20   #12
K.O.Kiki

Sennheiser CX-300, CX-300-II, PX-100 PX-100-II, HD-202, HD-215
Cheapo Sony in-ears
Some others that I don't care about.

Looking to get a pair of small AKGs this year, or Grados.

Last edited by K.O.Kiki; 18-01-2012 at 21:25.
19-01-2012, 10:56   #13
Lighter

My favourite and most expensive.

My first pair

and the rest

19-01-2012, 11:36   #14
cnocbui

Quote:
Wow, just looked up those Sony headphones and I recognise the design - I'm not sure if I knew someone with them or if they were still being sold around 1993 or 1994 - I worked in Harry Moore back then and they may have stocked them or a similar design. Certainly seem a highly regarded headphone anyway!
I am amazed anyone would spot what I did there!

Well done.

They are still probably one of the best sounding headphones ever made, which is why I have been bothered to fix them 20 times and am still using them. Unfortunately, that is probably not an exaggeration. I have had to source Nitinol wire and form it to replace the trick headbands. I have had to get some glove leather and hand-stitch new earpads as the originals didn't last two years. The rest of the repairs mostly involved broken connections in the wiring.

Frequency range: 5 - 30,000 hz, Impedance: 45 ohms, Efficiency: 106db.
20-01-2012, 19:35   #15
millymash12

I am currently the proud owner of some soundmagic e10 coppers, p20, e30, mp21 and pl50, phonak Audeo 122 , superlux hd681, and some beyerdynamic dt770

......and a shameful owner of the aerial 7 choppers, wesc oboe, skullcandy aviators and
And for Xmas I got those marley stir it ups, awful, some of the previous ones have been Some of the worst decisions of my life *never go for headphones just because they're colourful and trendy*

As you can see I'm not a huge fan of headbands, much prefer my iem's with some comply tips and a fiio e6 on the move any day. Use to nearly always buy sennheisers but the last few models were a disappointment for the money I paid.

But I gotta say some of the sennheiser, audio techinca and even Philips looked awesome at ces this year.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion