Litter SWAT Teams ! - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-10-2011, 11:25   #1
kilburn

Litter SWAT Teams !

Has anyone seen the litter SWAT teams around town this morning, there must be 30 or 40 of them scattered all over the city picking up papers etc, great to see !
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-10-2011, 12:19   #2
Kess73
Category Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Kess73
Have not seen them, but it is a great idea.
25-10-2011, 15:42   #3
xsiborg
Closed Account

THAT'S what that was as i was coming down henry street! five of them in visi-vests, i counted as i thought it was a case of the council being unusually conscientious! i knew it wouldn't be the police looking for evidence as they weren't wearing the white oompa loompa outfits, but that's what it looked like- combing the footpaths for "evidence"! and even more embarrassingly, there was enough litter on the street to keep all five of them busy!
25-10-2011, 15:45   #4
Sabre0001

Send a message via Skype™ to Sabre0001
Sounds much more exciting when the term SWAT is used.....then you read on for a description.
25-10-2011, 17:35   #5
phill106

special weapons and tactics......

ok....
Advertisement
25-10-2011, 18:06   #6
phog

It's a real pity that people cant actually put their own litter in the bins.
25-10-2011, 18:20   #7
Clareman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill106 View Post
special weapons and tactics......

ok....
More like Sweeping Washing And Tidy-up
(4) thanks from:
25-10-2011, 20:32   #8
TestTransmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by phog View Post
It's a real pity that people cant actually put their own litter in the bins.
My thoughts exactly.
30-10-2011, 15:52   #9
Brennans Row

Litter SWAT Teams

Quote:

‘Love Limerick Don’t Litter’

Clean-up operation takes place in city centre (Limerick Leader)

VOLUNTEERS from across the city braved the weather this week to assist the Environment Department of Limerick City Council in a ‘deep clean’ of the city centre ahead of the bank holiday weekend.

City council staff, volunteers and representatives of local businesses were invited to take part in the clean-up operation, which also marked the launch of a new leaflet, ‘Working Together to Keep Limerick Clean’.

The new leaflet outlines the ongoing work the City Council undertakes to keep the control litter in the city and includes a section on what businesses can do to help.

A large crowd of volunteers turned out to help the clean-up operation, as well as the colourful ‘street litter’ characters, who were on hand to promote the ‘Love Limerick Don’t Litter’ message and entertain city centre shoppers.

Many of the volunteers were from groups that participated in the Limerick City 50K Community Challenge, which was supported by the JP McManus Foundation and the Limerick Leader.

Mayor Cllr Jim Long was there to help promote the “simple but key message” to ‘Love Limerick Don’t Litter’.

“Every man, woman and child needs to help to keep Limerick clean,” said the mayor. “Thank you to all the volunteers and community workers for their support of this initiative.”

Limerick Chamber president, Kieran MacSweeney, said he was “delighted to be associated with this initiative and I encourage all businesses in the city to join-in and help with this deep clean and presenting Limerick city in the best possible light. Let’s make it a clean sweep together”.

City council are keen to achieve ‘clean to European norms’ in the next set of IBAL litter league results, due in January of next year.
Get out every Saturday morning and give the front of one’s own house a good sweep with a yard brush.

Then Limerick City would be clean to JP’s Swiss standards!
Advertisement
30-10-2011, 17:17   #10
steveon

Would be nice if they would actually install a few more bins if you ask me, there is none on the same side of parnell street except outside the train station which is ridiculous, there are some on the opposite side alrite but thats not good enough in my opinion and Parnell Street aint the only place which could do with a few more bins.
30-10-2011, 17:21   #11
source

Send a message via Skype™ to source
There should be a bin on every corner of every block. Although the slobs in this city will still have to figure out how to use the bloody things.
(4) thanks from:
30-10-2011, 17:38   #12
steveon

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
There should be a bin on every corner of every block. Although the slobs in this city will still have to figure out how to use the bloody things.
Totally agree with you 100% on this, last year when I visited Estonia there was a bin on every single Esb pole and Street corner and you got 10cents for each bottle when you brought it back...the result was not one piece of rubbish for miles beleive me I actually went out of my way to find some and couldnt a credit to the people there and a shame on the lazy people living here ..
30-10-2011, 17:41   #13
Mc Love

You wont find any bins in the UK as they employ street sweepers and plus the fact bins are a target for insane people to plant bombs in.
30-10-2011, 18:22   #14
whistlingtitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Love View Post
You wont find any bins in the UK as they employ street sweepers and plus the fact bins are a target for insane people to plant bombs in.
Fair play to them getting out there and doing it just a pity others have such a disregard for where we live
30-10-2011, 18:43   #15
Brennans Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveon View Post
last year when I visited Estonia . . . . and you got 10 cents for each bottle when you brought it back...the result was not one piece of rubbish for miles . . . .
Spot on!

Having a national system in place where all beverages sold in Ireland carry a refundable deposit is a very effective “carrot” for people not to literally throw money away.

Plastic bottles and cans carry a 25 cent deposit in Germany. I’ve even seen kids collecting them, if they had to good fortune to find them.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion