Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-10-2011, 11:45   #1
selfbuildache

Printer Ink - New Cartridge Vs Refilling?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I did look around.

Just wondering if buying a refill kit would be cheaper than a 'new' cartridge and do people have any recommendations about where to go for either??

I've tried inkjet and inklub for cartridges but they still seem expensive...
Advertisement
24-10-2011, 18:28   #2
yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfbuildache View Post
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I did look around.

Just wondering if buying a refill kit would be cheaper than a 'new' cartridge and do people have any recommendations about where to go for either??

I've tried inkjet and inklub for cartridges but they still seem expensive...
What printer? Only newer Brother machines can be refilled for little hasstle afaik. Get a Epson or Canon and get remanufactured cartridges, best option really. Another site to try is www.justmedia.ie, I find them the cheapest, also look at Ebay, although disadvantage here is most sellers are English so long delivery times!

Nick
Thanks from:
24-10-2011, 20:09   #3
selfbuildache

Thanks. Have a HP. Just a cheap one so I fear I'm paying for it now. I used to have a Dell one though and could get them refilled locally so I'm going to try them if nothing else turn up.
Have tried your website and can't figure out how to find my cartridge number
24-10-2011, 20:15   #4
Cerbera

I've got a mix of Canon and HP printers and I get the inks / toners refilled off my local Recharge Cartridges place and I have had absolutely no problems with any of them ever.
24-10-2011, 22:59   #5
yoyo

Quote:
Thanks. Have a HP. Just a cheap one so I fear I'm paying for it now. I used to have a Dell one though and could get them refilled locally so I'm going to try them if nothing else turn up.
Have tried your website and can't figure out how to find my cartridge number
Just Media changed the site recently and I've found you can't search for cartidge numbers easily any more, best off clicking HP>and looking for your model in the list of items

Nick
Advertisement
24-10-2011, 23:10   #6
allthedoyles

We used to buy refills for our HP 2550 , but they sometimes leaked .

It does work out cheaper though .

We also used to buy a printer chip like this one below , and it meant that we used to get more value out of a cartridge .
If you have a printer that counts the number of pages you print , it may tell you that the cartridge is empty , when it is not .:

24-10-2011, 23:14   #7
craftypaddy
Closed Account

refill kits are for sale in tesco, 25 euro for black and colour, gets 20 fills roughly, fairly easy to do just watch a video on youtube first
24-10-2011, 23:20   #8
yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftypaddy View Post
refill kits are for sale in tesco, 25 euro for black and colour, gets 20 fills roughly, fairly easy to do just watch a video on youtube first
Many printers use Chips these days which stop you from bieng able to print after the countdown regardless of there being ink or not, without a chip resetter and even with some ink cartidges (Epsons especially) are manufactured in such a way that if refilled they just will not work.

Nick
25-10-2011, 14:34   #9
selfbuildache

Thanks for the replies! These companies are really devious!
Allthedoyles - where would I get one of these chips and is it the same as the one YoYo is talking about??
CraftyPaddy - it was those refill kits I was talking about buying - you can get them on Ebay for less so if you think they work I might go that route - thanks.
Cheers!
Advertisement
25-10-2011, 15:18   #10
yoyo

Quote:
Allthedoyles - where would I get one of these chips and is it the same as the one YoYo is talking about??
CraftyPaddy - it was those refill kits I was talking about buying - you can get them on Ebay for less so if you think they work I might go that route - thanks.
Cheers!
I think he's linked to a chip resetter, could be wrong though! Even if you can reset the chip some inks just will not refill, Canon and Epson especially are notorious for this, Check this out to see how they do it

Nick
26-10-2011, 01:33   #11
Overheal
What have I DONE!!?

Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Quote:
Ultimately they aren't devious but rather protecting their profits and investments. Granted they could provide a better, mainstream refilling method, but at the end of the day it was refillers that encouraged printer companies to start microchipping their cartridges.
26-10-2011, 12:01   #12
selfbuildache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheal View Post
Ultimately they aren't devious but rather protecting their profits and investments. Granted they could provide a better, mainstream refilling method, but at the end of the day it was refillers that encouraged printer companies to start microchipping their cartridges.
I understand your point and that they have to make profits but I'm annoyed at not knowing this before I bought this latest printer. I think this printer (HP) is cutting me off at a set amount of pages, whereas my previous printer would go 'til the ink ran out basically. Obviously, if I knew beforehand I'd be looking for a non-chipped (if this is even possible now.) printer
28-10-2011, 20:03   #13
Mattryan13

Don't bother, messy and you don't get a full refill. Huntoffice.ie or www.officespot.ie are cheap and fast delivery. I do our office ordering and this has worked out best for us.
28-10-2011, 20:26   #14
hanloj1

I used to get mine refilled for hp photosmart c4380. They were costing me 24e to refill xl one. Got two cartridges for 26e including delivery from 7dayshop.com . good times.
Thanks from:
28-10-2011, 20:27   #15
silvine

Get a laser printer. Works out cheaper in the long run.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion