Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-04-2011, 22:23   #1
ocnoc

Swallowed up in the mist

My name is Ocnoc.

I am an orienteer. I am a mountain runner. Sometimes, I'm even a dirty track fairy.
My favorite weather conditions include, mist, rain, low cloud, high winds and cold. I dislike sun and heat, but I'll race in it if thats what race day throws up.

My favorite routes are one's where you question your own sanity. Steep, rocky, muddy, technical, something dangerous where I might really hurt myself if I fall. I look for climbs and drops that scare me. Because we learn from fear. Bashing out sub 3min/k on a technical descent after your system has been rocked by adrenalin is the ultimate fear/death/amazing buzz mix. I race for it. I live for it.

I train to race. So I'm not bashing out serious miles. I'm not doing crazy sessions. Just keep'in her country. The only day for going over the edge is race day.
I like to race hard. I find sitting in and waiting to attack is generally a good tactic, but it takes me a lot of mental strength to do it. I am slowly learning to race my way and not play into the strengths of my rivals.

I learn from every race. If I didn't learn something, something didn't go right.
I gained my mental toughness from judo. Being thrown to the ground and having to get back up again and again and again. I learned to never give up from orienteering, lose by 3 seconds again and again and again and you learn to fight for everything you have. I learned how to suffer by running myself into the ground. Running myself into injury.

I have a really bad habbit of getting really really excited before a race. As in so excited I can't sleep. This probably isn't helped by my love of a good cup mug(s) of coffee. This log won't record any training but will probably reference a lot of sessions done prior to races. More a log of pre race thoughts.

I'll see you at the sharp end.

O'Cnoic

Most All of it is strictly tongue in cheek. If anyone is silly enough to take offence to anything, don't read down. I am blunt with my views.
Advertisement
16-04-2011, 22:37   #2
ocnoc

Tonelagee and the Lake.
Its gona be class.

I got the Luas home Friday and I was physically shaking. I was so worked up. I had left college early and had paced my kitchen all afternoon. Chatted on skype and had a small dinner. The count down is always a b*tch. I knew I had to calm down.
So on the Luas, after shaking for a few mins, I decided I would race and I instantly calmed down. Pre race mind frame set in. I did a mental kick list check. Ready to lock and load.

Today was an easy run and its now just stay calm until race start.
Sleep calls.
Its gona be great.
16-04-2011, 23:51   #3
ocnoc

Its nearing midnight and I'm still online on skype. Always a good sign.
I have also aquired a lift to the race. Generally comes in handy
F yeah. Time to rock
Thanks from:
17-04-2011, 17:39   #4
ocnoc

Tonelagee and the Lake.
I only had two cups of coffee this morning.
I was nervous, so an extra few would have made me go crazy(er)!

Race report from today.
http://colmocnoic.blogspot.com/2011/...d-student.html

Right now, the legs feel good. Really happy with my climb time. I was a tad bit concerned last Sunday.
Count down to World Champs Selection Races. Yeah ha!
17-04-2011, 18:24   #5
PositiveNegativ
Closed Account

Nice report. We really were nattering like an old pair on that first climb. Next time a bit more energy might need to go into the racing.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-04-2011, 19:35   #6
ocnoc

I want to set up an impossible race. I want a time machine to collect the best IMRA runners from the past few years when they are all at their peak.
Wicklow Gap to Sally Gap. Winner takes all. No mandatory kit.

John Lenihan, John Brookes, Robin Bryson, Aonghus O'Cleirigh, Wally Young, Pat Healy, Pat Farrelly, Paul Nolan, Barry Minnock, Brian Furey, Peter O'Farrel, Gerry Brady, Eoin Keith, Colm Rothery, Peter Kernan, Brain McMahon, then throw the race open to anyone who thinks they can keep up.

Low mist. Ground soft, but not sloppy.

I think it would be awesome. The best hill runners, no excuses, only a couple of mountains of sheer pain and suffering. It'd would rock. I relish the though of starting in such a line up. It would be Epic
19-04-2011, 20:51   #7
ocnoc

JK is closing in. High risk orienteering. If I think about it, I tend to get very excited. But at the same time I don't care about the result anymore. I have reached a happy equilibrium. If I get a top 10, it'll be awesome. If I finish outside the top 30, no worries. Its a high risk game that forces one to be mentally strong. In a way, if I don't make selections, it will work out better.

There are a few mountain races I would get more satisfaction beasting myself with in millimeters of my life in than running around a small medieval French village in 30* heat.

It has been the motivating force behind a hard winters training, mixing it up in the mountains and the flatter, muddier XC races. I know I am in good shape.
Perhaps I have being bullsh*tting to myself all winter doing mountain specific work outs instead of o specific sessions. My brain knows which it prefers.

Perhaps its not international O I'm interested in. Mind drifts to championship mountain racing any every opportunity.

Time to chill out and have some fun. JK will provide some top quality racing non the less.

Bring on the O
Thanks from:
27-04-2011, 08:16   #8
ocnoc

JK over. Races didn't go to plan. Too many small mistakes. Probably not headed to france... o well... To SCOTLAND

IOC count down.

Just intensity 5 resting between now and then. Because the man said
27-04-2011, 22:59   #9
Slogger Jogger

So no Irish Champs race this weekend then?
Advertisement
01-05-2011, 10:51   #10
ocnoc

IOC 2011, Brockagh.
T minus 3:25hrs

Time to have some muddy fun in the mountains.
02-05-2011, 00:21   #11
ocnoc

I was orienteering really well. Then I thought "Cully, you've finally nailed it, your on route to your first IOC title..."

Then, I dropped time, lots and lots of time. On the next 4 controls, I dropped 9mins. The head dropped and I effectively dropped out. Running around the rest of the course, just to finish.

Gutted. But the race has been slotted and saved. The race is over and can not be changed. Lessons learned. The latest mistake is always the harshest.

The CNOC army keeps marching on. There are many more battles on the horizon.
Keeping an eye on the bigger picture is always important.
Thanks from:
02-05-2011, 09:42   #12
Slogger Jogger

No mist but you'd have loved Mweelrea.
Thanks from:
03-05-2011, 16:48   #13
ocnoc

Irish Orienteering Relay Championships were held yesterday.
I am happy with my run. Dropped less than 60sec over the 6km course.

Kept a cool head under pressure. Direction, attackpoint, control, repeat.
Thanks from:
04-05-2011, 21:40   #14
ocnoc

I've just been described as a "sadistic bitter Irish caffeine-addicted mountain runaholic".

I took it as a complement. However, I have been informed it was meant as an insult after a massive rant about a recent championship race.

Ya win some, ya lose some.

I have looked at the beastings value for races over the bank holiday weekend and I have concluded that I shall not be racin Carrauntoohil this year. The Shamrock Oringen in West Cork is more appealing.

(then again I could change my mind in an instance...as usual)
Lovely part of the world to chill out once these dam exams are over....

30 days till freedom.
06-05-2011, 16:37   #15
ocnoc

Curragh-Naas declared Irish Relay Champs 2011.
We were second team on the day, but CorkO's team was n/c.

We'll take the title, but personally, I am bitter about losing on the day. The win was there for the taking.

Raw Aggression anyone?

Bring on the Wicklow Way Relay
I have a bit of anger to unleash.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size