Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2011, 15:14   #1
Starie1975

Galway GAA discussion thread

Hi Mods,

Would it be possible to start up a Galway GAA discussion thread for both hurling and football?

I'll get the ball rolling

http://www.hoganstand.com/Galway/Art...aspx?ID=142184

Galway football has been plunged into uncertainty following the news that experienced pair Kieran Fitzgerald and Niall Coleman have withdrawn from Tomás O Flatharta's panel.

Coming a week after the county's first game of the Allianz National Football League, the withdrawals come as a major surprise and a significant blow to the county's hopes of making an impact in Division 1.

O Flatharta's first league game in charge ended in a five-point defeat to a Monaghan side who went into the campaign as relegation favourites, leaving Galway facing an uphill battle to maintain their top flight status.

Fitzgerald's retirement from inter-county football is all the more surprising given that the Corofin man was named as one of three joint captains by O Flatharta just last month.

He has been a fixture in the Galway defence for more than a decade, winning an All-Ireland medal and an All-Star award in 2001.

Appointed captain of the county in 2007, Fitzgerald also appeared at the launch of the 2011 Allianz NFL at Croke Park just two weeks ago.

Coleman, meanwhile, has worn the maroon jersey since 2004.

He cited work commitments as the reason behind his withdrawal from the panel.

Galway take on Down in Newry next weekend.
Advertisement
14-02-2011, 15:28   #2
sgthighway

Is there one or two bad apples in the barrel that need to be cleared out?
14-02-2011, 15:37   #3
aidan24326

The poster 'Brain Stroking' posted last week that there was rumours of problems within the camp, and it seems he was probably right. Without knowing the details it's hard to know who's at fault, whether it's the manager or just some disruptive players.

I'd be inclined to blame the manager here though, as it's his job to unite the group and maintain harmony in the squad, that's the man-management side of his job. Never felt O'Flatharta would do much for us and this certainly isn't a good start to his tenure. Losing to NUIG and then an understrength Monaghan, and now two players withdrawing. It doesn't bode well. We're slipping back to the bad old days of the early 90s, way off the pace.
14-02-2011, 15:49   #4
sgthighway

I wouldn't mind if we dropped two divisions while we rebuild with a new squad but there seems to be conflict somewhere that needs fixing.
The Football Board have their hands full at the moment.
The players didn't want Sammon there either.
14-02-2011, 16:32   #5
Diabhal Beag
Known cowboy

Mod: GMIT
I think the general viewpoint is that we've been in the top tier for too long without getting past AI Q-Fs at the very best.

Even in the second division there are the likes of Meath, Klidare, Down, Derry and Sligo that are far better than us. Think we could beat Tyrone though.

Fitzgerald and Coleman are no loss. If we could get Mattew Clancy out too we'd be doing OK.

At least the hurlers are looking good. Impressed with Dónal Barry yesterday.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-02-2011, 09:19   #6
Starie1975

Football Team to play Down

The team to play Down shows a number of changes from the Monaghan game in defence Colin Forde and David Reilly start in place of Kieran Fitzgerald and Niall Coyne while Joe Bergin returns to the no 10 spot

Galway Team to Play Down
1 Adrian Faherty
2 Alan Burke
3 Finian Hanley
4 Kieran McGrath
5 Gary ODonnell
6 Colin Forde
7 David Reilly
8 Garreth Bradshaw
9 Eddie Hoare
10 Joe Bergin
11 Cormac Bane
12 Gary Sice
13 Matthew Clancy
14 Cillín De Paor
15 Sean Armstrong

Good luck lads
20-02-2011, 15:28   #7
Starie1975

Hurlers had a great win over Offaly, 1-24 to 1-10. Good shooting lads.

Down 1-07 Galway 0-6 at half time in the football.

Final score Down 2-11 Galway 1-09. Better performance this week. Down scored there second goal in the final minute.

Mayo next, hopefully all Galway supporters get behind the team.

Last edited by Starie1975; 20-02-2011 at 16:46. Reason: Final score
20-02-2011, 17:47   #8
gilberto_eire

Bergin in the half forward line?..... he's made it pretty clear through the years that he can't kick an accurate ball.

Shame when the two lads left that another 10-12 didn't leave with them, the crisis won't end until we have a clear out which yet another new manager has avoided, has he not watched a Galway game these past 5/6 years?... the squad is much the same now from 2005.

Why is there such reluctance to clear out the football squad?... it's happened with the hurlers
20-02-2011, 20:54   #9
Diabhal Beag
Known cowboy

Mod: GMIT
OK let's make a list of all the players who need to go.

Mathew Clancy
Gary Sice
Joe Bergin
David Reilly
Seán Armstrong (hasn't had a good game in at least 3 years)

Who else?

Great to see the hurlers doing well. Really think Farragher can become one of the best Galway mid-fielders ever.
Advertisement
20-02-2011, 21:58   #10
Utopia Parkway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
Why is there such reluctance to clear out the football squad?... it's happened with the hurlers
Sean O'Domhnaill was in the paper today saying the best footballers in Galway are already in the panel. There isn't anyone else.

Bar the minors in 07 and last year our underage teams have not been very good the past 5 years. The U-21's haven't even managed to win a match since 2005. He may have a point. I'd love to see a clearout as well but what's the point of a clear-out if you're only going to be bringing in inferior players. It would be like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It all starts at underage. This is where Galway have got to invest serious time, effort and organisation now.

Last edited by Utopia Parkway; 20-02-2011 at 22:46.
20-02-2011, 22:01   #11
ShamoBuc

Ye're footballers are really a bit up and down at the moment but the hurlers are playing nicely, and farragher is a super hurler - great determination and engine!
20-02-2011, 23:09   #12
gilberto_eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabhal Beag View Post

Mathew Clancy
Gary Sice
Joe Bergin
David Reilly

Great to see the hurlers doing well. Really think Farragher can become one of the best Galway mid-fielders ever.
I'd actually keep Armstrong in some capacity.
Reilly in fairness has only being there one year and didn't get much game time bar last years league where i taught he did well.
I'd agree on the others though.

Not looking like Farragher will be midfield this year, so far it's been Barry/Burke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Parkway View Post
Sean O'Domhnaill was in the paper today saying the best footballers in Galway are already in the panel. There isn't anyone else.

Bar the minors in 07 and last year our underage teams have not been very good the past 5 years.
I'd love to see a clearout as well but what's the point of a clear-out if you're only going to be bringing in inferior players. It would be like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.
It's irrelevant whether or not they are individually the best players in the county.
Wearing the maroon and playing for Galway on championship form the past 5 years they are among the bottom 10 counties(only notable wins against Mayo).
If a county like Louth can make a run at the AI with players who are deemed inferior to our own lads, that tells you that there's more to team sports then just ability.

For years now this core of players have proved they cannot beat counties who don't even dream of making AI semi finals, someone somewhere has to say enough and forge a team of players who can commit to an individual task.

So in a county the size of Galway there aren't 15 players who could put the likes of Westmeath, Wexford, Sligo away?.... I agree there isn't the talent to match 1998-2001 but with the tradition in this county there is always enough talent to make a semi final here and there and barely making the 1/4s which is what we've got with this present bunch.

It's not as if this squad has produced here and there, we've consistently being one of the worst counties on Champ form the past 10 years(most of the present squad have been there since 2005 loss to Westmeath), a new bunch could only improve on that.
21-02-2011, 10:02   #13
MfMan

Quote:

Mathew Clancy
Gary Sice
Joe Bergin
David Reilly

Who else?

Agree with Gilberto; Clancy and Bergin not going to improve now. Reilly hasn't had a chance yet to establish himself, Sice more of a wing-back and now nearly on his last chance too. Armstrong is the kind of player that has to be 'carried' but is a good scorer and we have no better presently.

No, last year proved that Farragher won't cut it at midfield in the c'ship. Like Galway hurlers themselves, he always seems to do well in the league but fade somewhat in the c'ship. A shame, he's a great talented, sjillful and honest player but perhaps hindered by a lack of pace. Maybe wing-forward will suit him more. David Burke is shaping up to be a really big player for Galway now, hopefully he can steer clear of injury. If he can get a similar partner, still not fully convinced by Barry, then we might at last have a viable platform in the middle.
21-02-2011, 13:14   #14
Hulk Hands

Quote:

Mathew Clancy
Gary Sice
Joe Bergin
David Reilly
Gary Sice played well yesterday, is a good player with a good attitude who can fufill a number of roles. A good squad player.

If you can name any better midfielders in the county than Bergin then be my guest. He is inconsistent, frustrating etc, but on his day he is very good. We need him at the moment.

David Reilly is only young and has had no chance to prove himself yet. What did he do against you, rob your girl at a youth disco or something?

Sean Armstrong is one of the most talented players in the country never mind county. Yes, he's also inconsistent, frustrating, goes missing, but he's serious at his best. We once said the same about Meehan. I'll go on record that Galway will not win anything of note until both Armstrong and N.Joyce are playing at their best. The talent is there, what they need is a manager to get it out of them.

So, all in all, a fairly retarded post. I love how people keep looking for clearout's etc without offering any opinions on who should replace them. Yes, there's a wealth of football talent in the county who just can't get a look in
21-02-2011, 13:23   #15
aidan24326

Quote:

Mathew Clancy
Gary Sice
Joe Bergin
David Reilly

Who else?

You're being very harsh on David Reilly, he's relatively new to the setup and deserves more time. Bergin and Clancy I would agree on, Sice was fine at wingback so why didn't they leave him there?

Definitely don't agree with you about Armstrong, inconsistent he may be but he has the ability and for me he has to be in the team, when fit and well he's still one of our better forwards. I can understand why some people might be losing patience with him but he's had a lot of injury problems.

The hurlers seem to be moving well though and we're definitely shaping up as the only realistic challenger to Tipp and KK at the moment. There's huge strength in depth, some really good young players coming through and a manager that's passionate and who I would have faith in, so there's reasons to be optimistic.

I'm very happy with McIntyre so far, he has brought unity to the squad and has them playing with great intensity, something we thought Loughnane would do but he didn't. Galway have always had stylish hurlers but we were lacking a bit of steel that the likes of Brendan Lynskey and Pete Finnerty brought to the mix, that seems to be there now.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion