Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2010, 01:12   #1
ytareh

Speed Camera Mega-Thread ***Read First Post Before Posting***

Read this thread before posting: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056091811
It may answer some frequently asked questions.

Some reports already in that they are 'testing' and sending out 'warning' (non) 'fines'...?
Lots of suspicious 'van activity' on N4 round Liffey Valley ...2 white high roof vans parked city bound on grass just before Esso ...Is it true these 'boys' can catch you 'remotely' having set up gear on opposite side of road etc ?Also a strange looking LS reg (burgundy?) Fiat "Taxi" (it has a taxi plate ...)This yoke has blacked out windows and some kind of small TV SCREEN in the drivers sun visor have noticed it driving up and down the N4 in the general Liffey Valley area at exactly 80kmh ...tonight had male passenger who seemed to be writing in passenger seat !!!
Guess I may just be becoming paranoid...If these tax collectors put their minds to it Im sure 75% of us would be 'licence -less' in a month ...

Last edited by -Chris-; 11-12-2011 at 15:41.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2010, 10:24   #2
NFD100

This has gone very quiet. Was suppossed to launch in November. It has either been dropped or delayed further.
13-10-2010, 10:29   #3
Tigger

There is a White caddy van with a big silver camera though on it parked on the Charlestown bypass most days
It's not new and is hard to spot

Of course the old road which is an eighty has nothing even tho people blast down it and present far more of an issue

But it will alll be about the money wait and see
13-10-2010, 10:39   #4
Johnny Utah

I take it all these private speed camera vans will be parked legally?

It would be terrible if someone parked right behind the camera van, thereby blocking any view out the rear window!
13-10-2010, 10:49   #5
Flyer1

2 white transits on the cork road all day yesterday.

Road was very quiet when I passed so i crawled by for a good look, 2 men inside each van at the time.
Advertisement
13-10-2010, 12:13   #6
JimmyCrackCorn

Garda speed camera van was in Cherrywood a few weeks ago other than that iv seen nothing.
13-10-2010, 12:20   #7
captainspeed

Hopefully it will be put on the very long finger.....

I see they're getting rid of them in the UK, will be interesting to see what impact that will have on road deaths.

So far, I haven't heard anything to suggest that road fatalities are increasing, although I have heard a few complaints that people are driving faster, not surprisingly.
15-10-2010, 09:52   #8
Jomcc

Saw this one outside Portlaoise this morning on Abbeyleix Road. Presume it's private, because it's a 10 KK reg.

15-10-2010, 10:35   #9
chrisp2281

They are recruiting for the positions anyway
http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Speed-M...r-6229353.aspx
Advertisement
15-10-2010, 10:55   #10
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I take it all these private speed camera vans will be parked legally?
If they are parked illegally, and are private, doesn't this mean that evidence used against you, if it went to court, is inadmissible, as evidence gathered against you was done so in an illegal manner?
21-10-2010, 09:53   #11
Sizzler

Private Cameras acoming...

Ahem, might as get this line out of the way now as it never ceases the amount of Mother Teresa's on this thread who love to post "if you don't speed you won't have to worry about it"

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...from=dailynews

Quote:
LOCAL councils are to put up hundreds of signs across the country to alert drivers where the new network of mobile speed cameras will be located.

But the camera vans will move from location to location every couple of hours, so speeding drivers won't know the exact spot where they are likely to be caught breaking the law.

Thousands of speeding motorists face the prospect of being caught on camera from next month when the new system goes live.

Assistant Garda Commissioner John Twomey said yesterday that up to 1,500 roads across the country were being designated as speed enforcement zones as part of the roll-out of the mobile speed camera network.

Private company the GoSafe consortium will provide 6,000 hours of filming by the cameras every month, and the system will go live in November. But each zone will have a sign erected to warn motorists they face the prospect of being caught.

Hundreds of roads will be clearly identified as a location where the cameras may be located, and the list will also be available on the garda website.

"An analysis of data over five years shows the locations where speeding is a problem," Assistant Commissioner Twomey said.

"The cameras will be there at times and days when the accidents are happening. The sole reason for this is to keep people alive, and the best way to do that is to slow people down.

"They'll be rolled out in the third or fourth week of November. It's important the message goes out that this is in addition to the existing cameras we have. These will be visible. There will be no shock or surprise. You won't just see a flash, they will be clearly marked.

"Road signs will be erected at roadsides to inform drivers they are entering a speed enforcement zone.

Zones

"There's no excuse, you're being told to slow down. We'll tell you the location, but not the time or date (when the cameras will be there)."

GoSafe will be given a list every month of the locations where gardai want the units deployed. They will also be obliged to carry out surveys to find stretches of road where 85pc of vehicles drive above the speed limit. These areas will be added to the list of speed enforcement zones.

The cameras are operational 365 days of the year, and there will be a special focus at night-time and over the weekends when the most fatal and serious incidents occur.

Countries where mobile cameras have been deployed have seen a 50pc increase in compliance rates.

The commissioner insisted that the cameras were not a revenue-raising exercise, and that the GoSafe consortium was being paid by the hour.

"We're talking about saving lives. It's not a revenue gathering exercise. We want people to look at the website. We want to change behaviour and for people to stay alive."

The new cameras will be augmented by more than 100 garda vehicles which are already in place and the new traffic corps vehicles which were put into operation last year.
The sad thing here is its quiet obvious that within a week of 'go live' we know there will be examples of these vans in situ in blatant revenue generating areas, road safety will not be primary. Of course I stand to be corrected but this is Ireland.
Thanks from:
21-10-2010, 10:00   #12
Cuddlesworth

Quote:
Countries where mobile cameras have been deployed have seen a 50pc increase in compliance rates.
Interesting that this is the only statistic they can come up with. Where are the decreased accident and death rates on areas in which the only change was the mobile speed camera? Things must be pretty bad when the only excuse you can come up with outside of "revenue generation" is "minor speed decrease".
21-10-2010, 10:07   #13
Anan1

I think the real problem here is not the cameras but the sometimes inappropriate limits. Rather than giving out about enforcement, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on getting limits adjusted where a good argument can be made for it?
21-10-2010, 10:27   #14
cronin_j

Send a message via MSN to cronin_j
I also note they will be a study conducted to detect areas where 85% of users travel over the speed limit..

If you take this litterally, expect speed cameras to be all over the motorways as nearly everyone travels around 120-140km/hr on these routes.
Thanks from:
21-10-2010, 10:28   #15
BeardyGit
Closed Account

What never ceases to amaze me is the sheer number of people who are STUPID enough to keep giving their money in speeding fines. I drive 30k miles per annum. I used to do a lot more as a field service engineer.

10 or more years back you'd drive like a bat out of hell to try making up time you'd spent on crap roads and stuck in traffic in every crappy little bottleneck on the way. That's all gone now. Taking it handy enough will still have you there in less time that it used to take going like the clappers. Ask anyone driving distances for a living.

So why bother? I'm not on a high horse here. I just don't see why people are stupid enough to keep paying it when the chances of getting caught speeding now are 150 times greater than they were 10 years back. Leaving aside private contractors, GTC will get you even if they won't.

Just don't see the point to be honest. Bitch all you want about the limits and all that, but getting done for speeding is just plain stupid.
(5) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion