Out of date Pot Noodle - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-07-2010, 15:36   #1
Irish Guitarist

Out of date Pot Noodle

Last night I bought a Pot Noodle and didn't notice until I got home that the use by date was February 2010.

I'm wondering if it would be safe to eat? How bad could something that just contains noodles and powder be?
Advertisement
13-07-2010, 15:38   #2
mike65
Closed Account

As a pot noodle could probably survive nuclear armageddon I wouldn't worry.
13-07-2010, 18:40   #3
huskerdu

I agree,

That pot noodle was manufactured from sawdust and chemicals about 2 years ago, what difference will a day make.
13-07-2010, 18:42   #4
Poly

You'll still feel sh1t after eating it.
Thanks from:
13-07-2010, 22:39   #5
Irish Guitarist

I ate it. I feel alright so far.
Advertisement
13-07-2010, 22:41   #6
mike65
Closed Account

Ah but food poisoning tends to take 18-24 hours to show itself.
14-07-2010, 10:50   #7
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Guitarist View Post
Last night I bought a Pot Noodle and didn't notice until I got home that the use by date was February 2010
I would be 99% sure it was a best before date, and not a "use by" date. 2 different things, fresh meat would have a use by date, it literally means you must use it by that date. And the other literally means the product should be at its best before that date, and will usually just deteriorate slightly after it. There is no way that at the stroke of midnight on the last day of feb it suddenly became overrun with bacteria -though I have met people who seem to think it would mean just that.

talking about beer before
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
Carbon dioxide can escape through the can or bottle, albeit very slowly, whereas PET plastic bottles are far more porous and can go flatter faster.

When making these "best before" the manufaturers are taking into account the worst case scenario they can, they do not want their beer reaching a customer tasting off. Clear glass bottles will go bad in the sun, faster than coloured bottles. Storing at high temperatures has an exponentially adverse affect on most food & drink. Therefore they take the worst case, a retailer storing the beer in the sunny window of his shop, during a heatwave with constant 30-35C heat.
So yes in that case it would taste a bit off after 6 months. But if stored properly it will be good for several years.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion