Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

02-11-2009, 19:18   #1
menoscemo

Becoming a Real Runner

Since my last log was all about training for the Dublin City Marathon 2009, I thought if I was going to keep running after that, I would have to start a new one.

So now begins the my process of becoming a real runner. Basically I was a total novice when I started training last february with the DCM in mind. I realised now it is a total noob thing to plan on running a marathon with absolutely no base and no experience of running whatsoever. Miraculously I made it through training and got to the start line. Unfortunately a blow up around 20 miles wrecked my dreams of a 4 hour Run and I had to settle for 4:15.
I said at the time I would never run a marathon again, but after a weeks reflection I am resigned to the fact that I probably will, but if I do I would want to go into it a hell of a lot better prepared and a proper running base behind me. Over the next year or so I therefore plan on running alot of races in the 5-10k range and put down some serious personal bests. I have never done any speed or interval work before so I look forward to getting out on the track, I also hope to get in some proper hill training once a week. My plan at the moment is to follow some kind of version of the Hal Higdon 10k intermediate training plan through the winter. Short term I will be doing the Jingle Bells 5k run on the 5th December and the Aware 10k the following week.
I have only ever had 5 races so I currently have set a PB in every race. They are:
5k: 21.54 (october 2009)
5Miles: 37:38 (July 2009)
Half Mara: 1hr48.08 (september 2009)
Mara: 4hr 15.32 (october 2009)

As you can see my times get progressively worse the longer the distance and so I think with a bit of specific training I can get the times for the short stuff right down. In the medium term I would like to get my 5k time below 21minutes (below 20minutes longish term) 5 miles under 35minutes and post a sub 45minute 10k time.

Maybe next year I will do the Adidas race series again, I would certainly like to get a better time for the half, but that is not the immediate goal or purpose of this log.
I would appreciate any feedback especially on speedwork which I plan on doing once a week starting next week. With that in mind anybody know of a lit running track that I can use in the evenings in the south dublin area? How much etc?
Advertisement
02-11-2009, 19:20   #2
menoscemo

This week I will just be getting out and strecthing the legs, before starting my programme next week. Tonight I had my first run since last monday. I did 3 miles in just over 25minutes. 8:30 pace, HR 148
02-11-2009, 19:27   #3
--amadeus--
Closed Account

I think you're selling yourself short here - you look like a real runner in teh marathon foto you posted!

Good luck with it though, no doubt the shorter distance times will tumble as you get more experienced and build a base. Looking forward to reading about it!
Thanks from:
02-11-2009, 20:14   #4
sideswipe

Hi menoscemo, good luck with the log. I look forward to following it as I have a similar background in terms of races, times and being new to running this year.
5 PB's this year is some going
02-11-2009, 20:23   #5
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
5 PB's this year is some going
Hope to make it 7 after the Jingle bells 5k and aware 10k. I can definately guarantee 6 anyway (cos I have never run a 10k race before ).
Advertisement
02-11-2009, 23:16   #6
Woddle
Closed Account

Best of luck with the new log and goals and congrats on the marathon. I'll also be gunning for a PB at the aware 10k, so will see you there.
Thanks from:
04-11-2009, 20:23   #7
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woddle View Post
Best of luck with the new log and goals and congrats on the marathon. I'll also be gunning for a PB at the aware 10k, so will see you there.
what kind of time are you hoping for at the aware? I am thinking that around 46 minutes would set a good marker for me to aim at next year...

Anyway took yesterday off due to inclement weather and the beginings of what felt like a bit of a cold. This evening it was even worse, freezing wind and blustery rain. The head cold had also kicked in but I decided to head out anyway and give the aldi winter gear it's first run out (under layer, lycra trousers, longsleeve top, jacket, hat and gloves) I was so wrapped up that I just left started the garmin and decided not to look at it until the end. I had in mind a 5ish mile lap, so I just stuck newstalk on the phone and ran easy to feel. Felt great and even got a few strides in at the end (first time for me). Turns out the lap was 4.5 miles only.

Anyway Overall: 4.51 miles in 39 minutes. Pace 8:38 HR 151.

Hoping to get a 4 mile hill run at lunchtime tomorrow. I checked on map my run today and it has a 400ft rise in 1.5 miles on the uphill part
04-11-2009, 20:41   #8
Woddle
Closed Account

I've no idea what I'll be capable of and for once I'm not going to call out a time, PB is 44 sth though and I want rectify that.
I was wrong telling you its a mile from bottom of stolkin lane to the roundabout, its a mile from my house to the roundabout.
Best of luck with that hill, it's tough going but there's a water fountain at the top if you need it
04-11-2009, 21:06   #9
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woddle View Post
I've no idea what I'll be capable of and for once I'm not going to call out a time, PB is 44 sth though and I want rectify that.
I was wrong telling you its a mile from bottom of stolkin lane to the roundabout, its a mile from my house to the roundabout.
Best of luck with that hill, it's tough going but there's a water fountain at the top if you need it
I was gonna call you out on that one but I though better of infighting in the main forum
Advertisement
04-11-2009, 23:18   #10
metamorphosis

Best of luck with the new log M and best of luck with the shorter races
05-11-2009, 14:59   #11
menoscemo

Just got the Hill run done there at lunch time. Just short of 4 miles in 33 minutes, a real good decent pace though the miles varied from 7minuntes on the downhill to 9min 20 on the up!! Hr strp fell to my waist so i didn't get a good reading, but the good news is I must be losing some weight .

Going to the gym this evening for some strength work.
05-11-2009, 15:57   #12
Sub430

I will be keeping an eye on this too menoscemo - going to start the same programme on Monday - might even start my own log. Good luck with it all.
05-11-2009, 18:22   #13
menoscemo

Cheers sub430. Yeah startin that programme on monday too. This week is just a warmup. Really enjoyed the uphill run today and looking forward to doing some interval work on the track.

Do you have any races in mind?
05-11-2009, 21:15   #14
Sub430

Jingles bells 5k for sure, I'm away for the Aware 10k so am looking for a 10k around Leinster in the New Year if you hear of any.
09-11-2009, 20:02   #15
menoscemo

Went out in the lashing rain tonight as punishment for an over-exuberant weekend food and drink wise. Got absolutely soaked and forgot the gloves so my hands were frozen off me. Also I must remember to make sure the water in the hot tank is warm before heading out in the rain again
Despite the rain I actually had a very enjoyable run, never looked a the garmin till afterwards because the rain was paying havoc with the bezel/my hands were too cold.
Turns out it was just over 5 miles in a little more than 45 minutes, so very comfortable pace. HR was an all time low of 142 lloks like I may be getting some form back.
Gonna try to find a track to do some intervals on tomorrow night.
Thread Closed