Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2009, 10:16   #1
Mossin

Football anyone?

Hey all,

Myself and Klong, were wondering if people on this forum would be interested in arranging football once a week during the semester. On the astro-turf, 5-a-side if possible.
What do you think? Would you be interested??

As a side note to that, we need a break from the FYP work, and are going to the astro-turf this Sunday [11th] for a kick-about, so if anybody is around, and wants to join in you are more than welcome to join. It could provide the necessary distraction from FYP for some.
Thats 1pm, Sunday ok.
Advertisement
09-01-2009, 10:30   #2
kopykat

id love to play a bit of football if your stuck for numbers,i wont be around for that sunday game but i will be around during the semester
09-01-2009, 10:34   #3
Mossin

Thats cool, I understand that there arent too many people here at the minute, but there are some 4th years, postgrads, and stragglers who might like a game.

Definitely keep you for the semester!
09-01-2009, 10:36   #4
The Don

If I was around I would
10-01-2009, 14:44   #5
klong

Anyone know of a 5 or 6-a side league we could enter if we get numbers?
Advertisement
10-01-2009, 15:34   #6
kopykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
Anyone know of a 5 or 6-a side league we could enter if we get numbers?
id play in that if we could get it organised
10-01-2009, 15:47   #7
Funkstard

Absolutely interested in getting a league going and entering a team. Always struck me that there isn't any tag/5-a-side leagues ran through the semesters when there would be so many willing students and the facilities available to do so.

You could look at block-booking one of the indoor courts for the semester, I think they're better for 5 a side than the astroturf. Also, after 6pm the astroturf is pretty much constantly full with various teams training.
10-01-2009, 20:16   #8
cson

Yeah I'd be up for it and I might even be around Limerick tomorrow at 1pm too, thinking of heading down tomorrow morning to sort a cupla things.

I'd say the best thing to do is to try and get 10 together and play 5 a side in the Arena indoors. I'd prefer to play on the Astro as its a miles better surface but its very touch and go whether you'd get any space there after 6pm as Funkstard said.

Good idea
11-01-2009, 00:17   #9
procstar

good idea, would be interested alright, will there be sandwiches provided?

wouldnt mind being a referee either...if only to take down djcr's particulars
Advertisement
11-01-2009, 02:08   #10
Mossin

Cool, its still on for tmrw, 1pm astro for anybody who is around.

We'll try do something for the semester alright, and indoor sounds like a good idea if we can guarantee numbers. AFAIK its expensive though, so we'd need guaranteed numbers etc
11-01-2009, 04:58   #11
DJCR

How to make a sandwich Procstar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procstar View Post
good idea, would be interested alright, will there be sandwiches provided?

wouldnt mind being a referee either...if only to take down djcr's particulars
I'll be there but there will be no shenanigans - P this is getting really disturbing !!!!

Jesus man - I live with you - do you really find it neccessary to say these things.

Anywho - I see a slight problem with your plans !!!!!

From your reaction tonight when I said "I can't wait for match of the day" I gather your not really a football fan.

However, from seeing you cook I now you've prob forgotten how to make a sandwich (your cooking is pretty savage).

So to solve the problem here's how to make a sandwich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ery8F...eature=related - the video thingy isn't working

Soccer is too hard to explain at 5 in the morning!!

Last edited by DJCR; 11-01-2009 at 05:00. Reason: technical issues
11-01-2009, 17:28   #12
klong

Footy report

Well myself, Mossin and B.A.Baracus braved the elements (and the astroturf) this afternoon and managed a four a side with a bunch of guys who turned up. Mossin turned in a classic strikers performance, netting 6 (and having to hop into a stream to get the ball at one stage), I bagged 4 and B.A.Baracus got one. Liam was our goalie; thanks to our tough, hard-working play we only conceeded 3. Score: UL Boards 11 - 3 Random Guys.
Thanks from:
11-01-2009, 19:39   #13
Mossin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
Well myself, Mossin and B.A.Baracus braved the elements (and the astroturf) this afternoon and managed a four a side with a bunch of guys who turned up. Mossin turned in a classic strikers performance, netting 6 (and having to hop into a stream to get the ball at one stage), I bagged 4 and B.A.Baracus got one. Liam was our goalie; thanks to our tough, hard-working play we only conceeded 3. Score: UL Boards 11 - 3 Random Guys.
Taking the "swim" was the highlight of my day, and shows that us UL boardsies cater for many sporting events when we go out

It was a good laugh, not too serious, only Klong was keeping score.
Not bad for our first outing.

We are aiming to do the same again next Sunday. Hope fully more people will turn up for that!!
14-01-2009, 00:09   #14
klong

Have discovered that there does be an astro league out in Mungret, matches on Mondays. Trying to find out more. Also, might be an astro league in Castletroy College.
14-01-2009, 00:59   #15
Funkstard

I know there are astros in Castetroy College, didn't know there was a league out there. Would indeed be worth researching, let me know what you find out if you can

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion