What does fox taste like? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

25-11-2008, 15:19   #1
The_Minister

Send a message via MSN to The_Minister
What does fox taste like?

I was reading a discussion on another board, and it came up that apparently carnivores taste delicious, but since you have to feed them several pounds of meat to harvest one pound of meat, they are uneconomical to raise for food. According to some of the posters, bear is unbelievably delicious, as is lion. And lynx.

Since you guys all walk around with rabbitskin pencilcases, and cook freshly caught woodcocks over open fires etc, I figured a few of you would have tried fox.

So, whats it like?
Advertisement
25-11-2008, 15:59   #2
foxhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Minister View Post
I was reading a discussion on another board, and it came up that apparently carnivores taste delicious, but since you have to feed them several pounds of meat to harvest one pound of meat, they are uneconomical to raise for food. According to some of the posters, bear is unbelievably delicious, as is lion. And lynx.

Since you guys all walk around with rabbitskin pencilcases, and cook freshly caught woodcocks over open fires etc, I figured a few of you would have tried fox.

So, whats it like?
I doubt you will find too many that have tried it .
The smell of them would be enough to turn anyone off i reckon.
I have on the other hand eaten crocodile and that is delicious it's only a pity we dont release them to hunt like they do in america.
25-11-2008, 16:00   #3
whitser

havent tried it but have often thought the same thing. i've heard of people eating badgers and hedgehogs back in the day.
25-11-2008, 16:01   #4
whitser

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
I doubt you will find too many that have tried it .
The smell of them would be enough to turn anyone off i reckon.
I have on the other hand eaten crocodile and that is delicious it's only a pity we dont release them to hunt like they do in america.
i love the smell of fox.
Thanks from:
25-11-2008, 17:41   #5
pullandbang
Hosted Moderator

I've eaten Bear and it's delicious. I've never treid fox but would imagine it's like an organic dog. If you look at what they eat - berries, worms, rats, mice, the odd hen, rabbit etc. then they must taste good.
Stiil , don't want to be the first to try........
Advertisement
25-11-2008, 18:04   #6
jwshooter

Send a message via Yahoo to jwshooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Minister View Post

So, whats it like?
chicken
Thanks from:
25-11-2008, 18:09   #7
ejg

Only part I don't like is the "hot dog"

edi
Thanks from:
25-11-2008, 18:22   #8
riflehunter77

Have not eaten it myself but iv heard a few stories of people eating in the 30s and the 40s when times were pretty bad. Iv had croc, kangaroo and monkey aswell.
25-11-2008, 18:33   #9
Sparks
Category Moderator

Well, if dog can be almost a national dish in some countries, I imagine it's got to be at least edible.

I'd rather not be the first to try it though
Advertisement
25-11-2008, 18:51   #10
cavan shooter

I have in my travels ate dog It is normally eating with spices and rice and be honest you wouldnt know what it was unless you asked.The Dogs are bread for eating by the way

It tends to be tough and so used in stews also used in soups. Remember folks it was amudsens use of dogs in many ways that allowed for his successess on polar expeditions.

Fox....... now I draw the line on eating a fox, however it depends on how hungry I was. Evidence from prehistoric campsites in the uk suggest all animals were a walking feast..
25-11-2008, 18:52   #11
Grizzly 45

I have dined on canine.The meat is very much like veal in look and texture it was cooked like in a Fondue[boiling oil].Taste...welll...bland and pretty chewy.
Seeing that I am a dog lover I wouldnt' be making it my regular dinner option,of a Jack Russel avec due veg .But being pragmatic it would be an option if things got really tough.

There is historical fact that some hunting mad Vicar in the UK,used to serve up roasted Renaryd in the 18th century for dinner of the hunt.

By and large I think you could eat fox no bother,but seeing it is a predator,you would want to be well careful of not eating any internal organs,brains or spinal cord,and checking it well for internal parasites.
It would be more ethical and social taboos that would stop us from eating things other folk on this planet would think of delicaes.
25-11-2008, 19:29   #12
chem

Fox is not as nice as dolpin, and alot chewier that barn Owl
25-11-2008, 20:35   #13
Vegeta

Never eaten it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...cs/4853388.stm

any meat that needs to be under running water for 3 days would not be on my plate
25-11-2008, 21:49   #14
Kat1170

Beaver is quite tasty
25-11-2008, 22:19   #15
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
any meat that needs to be under running water for 3 days would not be on my plate
No, but feck it, if people can eat meat that's been buried for six months, then damn near anything must be edible...
Thread Closed