Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-01-2007, 22:50   #1
md99

Send a message via MSN to md99
Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

I'm stuck between Brookfield and Victoria Mills, although the latter is very tempting! Anyone living there/know what it's like?
Advertisement
29-01-2007, 01:48   #2
embraer170

Brookfield certainly isn't the best inside.
30-01-2007, 21:24   #3
exiot

Send a message via MSN to exiot
Ive heard nothing but good things about Victoria Mills, but I think the applications have to be in the next 3 weeks according to some people in the lift today, it was definatley booked out by March last year
31-01-2007, 11:30   #4
keeffe2001

victoria mills is great if you can afford it, broadband in all the rooms, everyone usually shares theres stuff on the network, and the rooms are big (the beds are tiny though). Only problems is that its expensive, bit of a stroll from ucc and town and you have to pay rent up front in two in september and december. also the waiting list is pretty long.
02-02-2007, 20:56   #5
Rozie
Banned

Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town? All of them seem to be more towards Bishopstown/Sundays Well/Wilton. Maybe some student orientated apartments?

I need to find somewhere to move to on Co-op that's pretty much half way in between the bus station and UCC(15 mins each way, give or take?).
Advertisement
02-02-2007, 21:11   #6
cheerio

Does anyone know anything about the Leeside Apartments? They seem perfect for me, but I'd like to hear someone's opinion. They look a bit horrible on the inside, but fairly big. Does anyone know what the bedrooms are like, what size etc.? There aren't really any pictures on the website.
03-02-2007, 15:27   #7
chuci

victoria mills or deans hall are the best for what your your paying for really. brookfield however is right next to the nursing buildin though still a good ten minute walk from main collage campus too though if your walking fast.inside though not the greatest and management are very strict so i hear
03-02-2007, 22:31   #8
exiot

Send a message via MSN to exiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozie
Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town? All of them seem to be more towards Bishopstown/Sundays Well/Wilton. Maybe some student orientated apartments?

I need to find somewhere to move to on Co-op that's pretty much half way in between the bus station and UCC(15 mins each way, give or take?).
Theres a bus station right outside Farranlea, and its a 15 minute walk to UCC..
12-02-2007, 00:48   #9
Dr. Feelgood

Brookfield is a total dump hole. Don't go there.
Advertisement
28-02-2007, 02:54   #10
Heisenberg.

Mod: Music
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozie
Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town?
Castlewhite is prob the nearest to town, or the spires on bandon road.
03-03-2007, 00:54   #11
Kold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuci
victoria mills or deans hall are the best for what your your paying for really.
Deans Hall is awful from what I've seen. Overzealous security guards, paper thin walls and generally not very nice. Prices sound extortionate although it is right next to UCC. I hear it costs €6 for one washload to which sounds a bit much.
03-03-2007, 12:41   #12
embraer170

I heard Victoria Mills were playing games with the internet access (blocking certain content, P2P and so on)...
03-03-2007, 12:50   #13
AdMMM

Send a message via MSN to AdMMM
That's almost standard practice for any complex.
10-03-2007, 17:42   #14
sensei28

On accomodation, please tell everyone you know to avoid Victoria Station. I know an email was sent to all ucc students by one of the residents but some people seen to think that just one person has a gripe with the accomodation. This is not true.

The vast majority of apartments have serious problems with damp, particularly the apartments on the top floor. As time goes by this will spread down to all floors of the building. This is due to poor ventilation and bad building work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "the way the building is used" as suggested by the management company. Many of the rooms which are damp, have mould in them.

Parking is costing €950 for 9 months and the spaces provided for students are actually owned by businesses in the area.

Both the washing machine (singular) and the dryers cost €1 for every 15 mins use. Most cycles are at least 1h 30 mins for a decent wash and a good 1hr is needed in the dryer. So its cost at least €10 to wash clothes and all machines are set to lock at the end of the cycle so you need to put in an extra €1 to unlock them and get back out your clothes.

The walls are paper thin, the front doors could be pushed in by a 2 year old. There is no security provided, contrary to advertisement.

This year they are charging €4,400 and next year they want a staggering €5,300 for the 9 months. The staff in the management company are rude and very unhelpful and regularly resort to bad language and aggressive behaviour when anyone raises any issues in relation to the apartment.

I could actually go on and on but simply request that you tell all your friends to avoid this complex and other complexes being built by this company. I for one certainly wouldnt want anyone to have to put up with this next year.

PS: I am not a first year but this company seems to target 1st years. Pass the word around and beware.
14-05-2007, 01:35   #15
Rozie
Banned

Any other ideas?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size