Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A discussion on the rules.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

people here are more interested in bashing SF than discussing governments issues such as health or the jailing of a former Minister for Justice.

Nice rose tint ya have there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

irish1 wrote:
    I have done a few so called tests in the past, and people here are more interested in bashing SF than discussing governments issues such as health or the jailing of a former Minister for Justice.

I'm all for debate pitty people care more about the rise of SF than other issues, but hey thats their right.

As an unrepentant supporter of the PD’s it is in my party’s interest to bash SF at every possible opportunity as it deflects from our own shortcomings, you can easily start a thread entitled “PD’s damning health record” and attack the PD’s and I would defend them just as you have defended SF in the many SF bashing threads. That’s just politics IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Meh wrote:
    You haven't backed your assertions up with any links to judgements, laws etc. I think if you did that, it would help your case. Calling everyone who disagrees with you a troll doesn't help you either.
    im not calling everyone, you are the person im calling a troll. when i highlight elements of your posts that are trollish you say its off topic.
    The first thing I did was quote the law and you said I had crazy notions and inventing libel law. Ive now given you the sources you ask for, a reasonable request, but youve given sources and links that are totally irrelevent, Reynalds Vs Irish times. Other sources conflict with your opinion not support it yet you keep repeating the source, an opinion article ?!!
    Sources arent always debate swingers, i was talking about basic things very easily verified and you demand sources, and you give sources that add nothing to the discussion at hand!

You refuse to accept that the words "choose to believe" are in an article you quoted.
    You accuse me of inventing laws, Im quoting my text book.
    No matter how many times, in how many ways I explain different elements of Irish law as to why Adams cant sue you always reply, if he was innocent he would sue. Im not saying he is innocent, but even if he is he wont win a libel action

Nuttzz wrote:
    As an unrepentant supporter of the PD’s it is in my party’s interest to bash SF at every possible opportunity as it deflects from our own shortcomings, you can easily start a thread entitled “PD’s damning health record” and attack the PD’s and I would defend them just as you have defended SF in the many SF bashing threads. That’s just politics IMO.
    When the health service is being debated saying the IRA killed more ppl than (insert FF mistake) is totally irrelevant and a cheap shot at SF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OK, firstly guys...this isn't really a thread for re-hashing the arguments, nor for venting steam that <thing> really bugs you, but you accep that you'll have to live with it.

If you've a problem with something, please consider what you'd like done - or what you think should/could be done - about it yourself....don't just be chiming in with examples or defences of posts unless they're asked for by a mod please.
    irish1 wrote:
    I have done a few so called tests in the past, and people here are more interested in bashing SF than discussing governments issues such as health or the jailing of a former Minister for Justice.

And only recently, we had another poster making a remark that Irish issues weren't discussed enough at all....and on-cue (as if planned, which it obviously wasn't), the main focus of the board shifted to being predominantly about Irish issues.

The thing is, that people are entitled to discuss whatever political issue they see fit. One thing is, though, that it takes two sides to have a long-running discussion. Those threads take people's interest because both sides see putting their case forward in that thread as being worthwhile or somehow necessary.

If you look at the trends over a period of time, you see a large number of posters (of which I am possibly currently one, or becoming one) who post less and less often - mostly because its the same stuff over and over and you tire of saying the same thing ad nauseum. They do still chime in with salient points when the feel necessary, and typically do not re-engage in the ensuing to-and-fro's once they quickly settle down (as they generally do) into repetition-mode.

If you are interested in continuously voicing support for or defending SF, its a bit unfair to suggest that others should not be interested in - or allowed to express that interest in - their side.
    I'm all for debate pitty people care more about the rise of SF than other issues, but hey thats their right.

Glad you believe that :)

If they are more numerous, and some/many/all are less or differently informed, or of illogical opinion...I would draw a comparison to the fact that in a democracy, those of differing, less-informed, illogical and downright wrong opinions have just as loud a voice as each of us here, should they choose to use it....no matter how numerous they may be.

How you react to them is your choice. And here, as in a democracy, as long as each person remains within the relevant laws, they should not be prevented in any way from voicing their opinion.

Having said that, I am considering discussing with the other mods that we may consider being more ruthless in terms of how we handle close-to-carbon-copy threads running simultaneously. I'm becoming less and less sure that they serve any beneficial purpose....although I do recognise that taking the wrong approach could risk stifling genuinely seperate discussions.

jc

• Advertisement

At this stage I am convinced Meh is trolling and Ive compiled a sound arguement that Ill pm to you.
    I would like specifically for measures to be taken to ensure he doesnt waste anyone elses time trolling. Because it wasates ppls time is why its against the charter no?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227865
    Is the thread in question, in post 119 I identify where Meh is deliberatly lying, what I would like specifically done is the comments removed from his post, an appology/clarification that I did indeed not say those things and whatever it is ye do to those who break the charter in this way

what I would like specifically done is

So you're not actually looknig to discuss the rules at all....but rather you want us to do something about a poster which you believe is breaking the existing ones. So, in simpler terms...you're reporting a poster for what you believe is behaviour in contravention of the existing rules.

Again, this is not the place. Why would we create a stickied thread who's purpose is to duplicate functionality which is built into the system (the "report this post" button for a start).

If people continue to show an inability or unwillingness to use this thread for what it is intended for - discussing/suggesting/advocating/opposing changes to the rules - then we will have no option but to close the thread, thereby removing any input any of you may have into the betterment of this forum's policy.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mods PM sent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

bonkey, I think Necromancer just misunderstood what you meant by
    bonkey wrote:
    If you've a problem with something, please consider what you'd like done - or what you think should/could be done - about it yourself....don't just be chiming in with examples or defences of posts unless they're asked for by a mod please.

bonkey wrote:
    So you're not actually looknig to discuss the rules at all....but rather you want us to do something about a poster which you believe is breaking the existing ones. So, in simpler terms...you're reporting a poster for what you believe is behaviour in contravention of the existing rules.

Again, this is not the place. Why would we create a stickied thread who's purpose is to duplicate functionality which is built into the system (the "report this post" button for a start).

If people continue to show an inability or unwillingness to use this thread for what it is intended for - discussing/suggesting/advocating/opposing changes to the rules - then we will have no option but to close the thread, thereby removing any input any of you may have into the betterment of this forum's policy.

jc
    No, I had a problem that a poster was doing something that was effecting the quality of a thread but which the rules dont deal with.
    That problem was libel law, his misunderstanding of it. I wanted to discuss what could/should be done to make it clear and what to do with ppl who ignore it/accuse others of inventing it.

My suggestion is a sticy of irish libel law or an inclusion of it in the "useful links thread" so it could be easily linked to.
    Second that ignoring how it works/acusing a poster of inventing it/elements of it be made against the rules.
    Third that a general policy be set out as to whether the logic "failure to sue=guilt" is acceptable or not.

Is this thread the right place to make these three suggestions?

It was in response to the part of your post ecksor highlighted that I made the post you found a problem with. I thought you were asking me for a specific problem and my desired remedy.

• Advertisement

That problem was libel law, his misunderstanding of it.

I don't see how an uninformed, misinformed, or ill-informed opinion is a problem, nor how a refusal to accept that ones own opinion is un-/mis-/ill-informed is one.

Indeed, I would have said that the rules explicitly allow people to maintain that stance.

I just don't get it. If there were other people partaking in the thread, you could have continued your disucssion with them, and simply made a final "you're still ignoring fact, so there's no point in discussing this line further with you" post to end the whole libel Punch-n-Judy show. I would have seen the continuation of hte discussion (which takes both parties) as the problem...not that one side in the discussion was refusing to accept the other side's reasoning.
    My suggestion is a sticy of irish libel law or an inclusion of it in the "useful links thread" so it could be easily linked to.
    Write it up, send it to us.
    Second that ignoring how it works/acusing a poster of inventing it/elements of it be made against the rules.
    Why? You point out that the person is simply making sh1t up / that their link doesn't back their argument. As far as I can see, that pretty much scuppers their argument. Exactly what does continuing the discussion gain you?

I'm beginning to get the feeling that you want to come out of these discussions feeling you've "won" it, and that the rules should force someone to concede "defeat" if they lose the run of themselves.

If you tear someone's argument apart....why do you need the rules to bakc you up? Why can't you leave it at that, knowing that you've done so? Don't you believe other readers are intelligent enough to see that you've done this? Why do you need the person who still disagrees to be forced to stop arguing their side? Why not simply make your killing blow and then leave it at that?
    Third that a general policy be set out as to whether the logic "failure to sue=guilt" is acceptable or not.
    There is a general policy. It says that you are entitled to your opinion, whether it is incorrect or not. The general policy, therefore, is that people most certainly can hold this view. They're wrong, but thats not my problem.
    Is this thread the right place to make these three suggestions?
    Most certainly...and feel free to differ with my initial responses. THe one thing I'd ask is that you consider the general implications which arise from specific cases.

You're suggesting we need to deal with a specific issu8e concerning a specific piece of knowledge, and whether or not it is ok to post stuff where you state something other than what that specific piece of knowledge should allow you to.

For us to do this, we either accept that our rules must either start expanding to include "case by case" stuff, or that we write a general rule to cover what you're looking for. From what I can see, there already is a general rule there to cover it....and it says you're allowed to be wrong, stupid, and illogical.

It seems to me that ultimately what you're proposing is that we change or do away with this rule, and start saying that people are not allowed to be incorrect in certain ways. I'm not sure thats a path we want to go down...so you'll have to try and convince me.
    It was in response to the part of your post ecksor highlighted that I made the post you found a problem with. I thought you were asking me for a specific problem and my desired remedy.

I was...but its the problem with the rules I meant, not the problem in the forum...

My bad...I wasn't clear. Apologies.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I'm getting heartily sick of many of the SF/IRA supporters using this defence;

Certain inhabitants of the board will fling a variety of tactics and povs

such as "The Brighton bomb was a spectacular" "The IRA have offered to shoot the mans killers, what more can they do", "Mc Cabe was an idiot, and the murderers should have been court marshalled by the IRA" and then post fixed the statement, "but I'm not a republican/SFer/supporter of the IRA"

We can take from this one of two things.

The IRSP are going to do bloody fantastic in the next election.

Or, a group of posters will happily leap to the defence of the IRA or SF, and then to avoid having to answer comparative questions like "Well if the IRA are so concerned for justice..." they use this line. Thereby dodging having to defend all IRA tactics and actions, with this I'm not a republican/SFer/IRA defence, to ensure they don't have to face any awkward rebuttals; despite the fact that everything in the body of their previous posts clearly suggests different. They then indignantly demand that anyone who challenges demonstration that the are a IRA/SF supporter, when they've being implying support in everything they've said, they've just not outright said it.

If it looks like a duck, if it sounds like a duck, if it swims like a duck, if it lays eggs, and tastes great in plum sauce then it's a f*cking duck.

This guerrilla support, this implied support, is frustrating, and unfair. If a poster leapt up and roundly supported current US foreign, economy, domestic policy, the banning of gay marriage, and the right to life, but also said he condemned Bush and was a liberal there would be hoots of derision.

Lets call a spade a spade. If someone in their body of posts implies a clear political manifesto, or belief, but then when questioned on it, denies it and demands the poster proof it, lets moderate it. It is unfair, it's time wasting and displays a genuine disinterest in honest debate. It also implies that the poster knows that there are parts of his position that he knows are indefensible, when challenged, and shows that he/she is either unwilling to debate an unwinable argument, which is intrinsically linked to his/her pov, or an unwilliness to face some of the less palatable facts of their position.

I'm aware there’s a certain duplicity in political debate, a certain level of two facedness, a chance to duck and weave the issues while landing blows on your opponent. But to have an entire argument, an entire world view, and then to post fix that with but I'm not a republican etc is beyond disgenious, it makes a mockery of debate, and furthermore when quiet clearly you do hold those believes but won't admit to them, they make a mockery of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Maybe the mods of politics might consider updating the charter to reflect the fact that this type of thing is not allowed on this forum. As discussed here

Can I ask why Earthman constantly insists on new threads been created surely it would be better to let a dicussion broaden rather than start a new thread everytime a related matter is brought up??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Am I wrong or do you complain on a regular basis when threads go off topic. Well Sinn Fein ones anyway....I seem to remember some from the reams of complaints we get from you. Then again I suppose you are only against it when it suits you eh.

Gandalf did you actually bother to read the recent threads I'm referring to ??

Obviously if a topic is being discussed in a thread that doesn't in anyway relate the title a new thread should be opened but that wasn't the case in the recent threads where I brought this up. Hence the reason why I said let the discussion broaden rather starting new discussions.

If you want us to start new threads everytime fair enough I will but I just think that it will get very messy with simalar threads all over the place.

So maybe instead of having a go at me you could actually answer my question and give the mod's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I actually have looked at these recent threads and I agree with Earthmans opinion that they direction they are been taken in warrants a new topic.

I await your next off-topic report now with baited breathe.

Ok I'll start opening threads then as needed then. Thanks for that Paul :D

New Rule Suggestion: Tinfoil-hat conspiracies will only be tolerated in threads of their own, specifically started for the purpose of discussing them. They should carry a [THC] tag in the thread-title to clearly identify them.

<edit> determination of what is, and is not, a THC will be the sole domain of the moderators</edit>

Reason for suggestion: It feels like they're crawling outta the woodwork, Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bonkey wrote:
    <edit> determination of what is, and is not, a THC will be the sole domain of the moderators</edit>
    /me gets the munchies. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Why can't i post a poll in the Politics forum, is this just a problem with my account or are they not allowed ?

They are not allowed and wont be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Thanks, didn't know !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Is it against forum rules to discuss articles that show the british government in a bad light or is censoring in action here in that people can only discuss the badness of Irish Republicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Certainly seems so

I do not like the implication from Earthman that the thread was started as a response to another current thread. That is absolute verbal diarrhia. The thread stood on its own merits but was turned into a 'whataboutery' session from some posters.

Certainly seems so

I do not like the implication from Earthman that the thread was started as a response to another current thread. That is absolute verbal diarrhia. The thread stood on its own merits but was turned into a 'whataboutery' session from some posters.
    Quite frankly I Resent that remark.
    The thread was fine.I dont care why it was started,if I did I would have locked it straight away.I've taken a view on why it was started yes, but that is all.
    Regardless of the view I took,I would not have closed it unless it turned into what it did-an argey bargey fest going absolutely nowhere.

The thread started-it got 3 replies.
    Then a poster comes in with some sort of Ha Ha disparaging comment on the other posters on this forum.

I reply outlining why I think what that poster said is not the case and giving an opinion on why I thought the thread was not popular.
    A tangent ensues in the middle of which axer acts the maggot.
    He is warned and not banned.

Meanwhile some attempt is made to discuss the subject and it desends into more whataboutery and thread spoiling.
    Thats not discussion,its school playground stuff.
    A thread like that is a disgrace here and closed.

I closed one recently by the way under similar circumstances where the last few posts were just from what I could see, SF bashing without adding to a conversation that was more or less done to death anyway.

Thats what moderators do we moderate.

Earthman wrote:
    A tangent ensues in the middle of which axer acts the maggot. He is warned and not banned.
    Excuse me - acts the maggot? where? I don't remember getting warned about anything and I don't see any reason why I would be banned.

You were playing mod in the thread Axer and that was you acting the maggot.
    Replying to my mod warning in the thread was also a no no.
    Go read the charter for direction on where that is a no no within a thread,though I thought you would have already been familiar with that...

Quite apart from that it further messed up an already messed up thread.

Earthman wrote:
    You were playing mod in the thread Axer and that was you acting the maggot.
    Replying to my mod warning in the thread was also a no no.
    Go read the charter for direction on where that is a no no within a thread,though I thought you would have already been familiar with that...

Quite apart from that it further messed up an already messed up thread.
    You told me to "take that whataboutery to a thread discussing, the disagreeable covert actions of democratically elected governments and we'll discuss the pro's and cons of it" - was that a moderator warning? or where was the moderator warning? It is hard to determine what is moderating when it is mixed up with personal opinion in a post.

With respect, I can't see anytime where I was playing moderator in that thread.

• Advertisement

axer wrote:
    You told me to "take that whataboutery to a thread discussing, the disagreeable covert actions of democratically elected governments and we'll discuss the pro's and cons of it" - was that a moderator warning? or where was the moderator warning? It is hard to determine what is moderating when it is mixed up with personal opinion in a post.

With respect, I can't see anytime where I was playing moderator in that thread.
    Commenting on off topicness (when there was a prior post explaining what I was doing) and commenting on me stating that you leave the moderating to the moderators equals a sum total of acting the maggot and playing the mod.
    It's not a big issue,I just told you to leave it out.

Theres several ways,I could have moderated on that thread,I took the handiest and only later on when it was going looba's.
    It is hard to determine what is moderating when it is mixed up with personal opinion in a post.
    What personal opinion? You dont know me from adam and now you think I mix personal opinions into moderation?
    Let me get a couple of things absolutely clear.

(1) I gave an opinion on why I thought that thread was slow and (2) I gave an opinion on the subject matter.
    Neither of those opinions could possibly have anything to do with my moderation of it.
    (3) I also gave an opinion on why I thought the thread was there in the first place.I dont expect either you or the thread starter to share that opinion.
    As I said I couldnt care less as to what people are at on this board as long as they obey the charter and not trolling.
    Ergo I didnt act on that particular opinion,I expressed it. Such things dont bother me .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement