Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-06-2011, 09:28   #151
dragon_wannabee

Ireland's change from Free State to Republic, looking for a book

Hey Guys,

Can anybody recommend a good book which focuses on the background and forces behind Ireland's move from Free State to Republic?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
30-06-2011, 16:01   #152
premierlass

Explaining Irish Democracy by Bill Kissane.
30-06-2011, 20:53   #153
dragon_wannabee

That book looks good, thanks a million premierlass
16-10-2011, 23:32   #154
Peep O'Day

can anyone recommend a good book on the irish citizen army? it's an organisation that i am particularly fascinated about and would love to learn a lot more on them. thanks
22-10-2011, 14:20   #155
mirror mirror
Closed Account

my kilkenny i.r.a days by j.comerford

Anybody with an interest in the war of independence around kilkenny ,this book is a must.
Advertisement
27-10-2011, 11:44   #156
IrishPublisher

Irish History Book - previously unpublished photos of 1916, WOI and Civil War

'Revolution: A Photographic History of Revolutionary Ireland 1913-1923', it covers the Lockout, 1916, The War of Independence, The Truce, The Civil War and the Aftermath. It contains over 100 images, some never before seen. Its by a young historian from Ennis.

It has been nominated for an Irish Book Award 2011. I have put a sample up in issuu here so you can take a look. http://issuu.com/MercierPress/docs/revolutionsample/1

Hopefully I have attached a sample image too. Its of the attack on the Four Courts, late June 1922.

MODERATOR EDIT:
I am leaving the book name here as some people may be interested in it. Note advertising is not allowed. Refer to charter and boards.ie guidelines for further info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AttackOnTheFourCourts-28-30June1922.jpg (1.45 MB, 39 views)

Last edited by jonniebgood1; 27-10-2011 at 15:07.
04-01-2012, 14:31   #157
patsman07

'Independent Ireland' is an excellent book which charts the move from Free State to Republic. It's written by a former lecturer of mine- Ronan Fanning.
04-01-2012, 16:11   #158
Belfast

Everything You Were Taught About The Civil War Is Wrong
by Lochlainn Seabrook

Abraham Lincoln - The Southern View
by Lochlainn Seabrook

Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe
Thomas DiLorenzo

The Real Lincoln, by Loyola College economics prof Thomas J. DiLorenzo.

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
by Thomas E. Woods Jr.

33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask
by Thomas E. Woods Jr.

A Century of War by John V. Denson
13-01-2012, 00:11   #159
the_monkey

I read _Rise and fall of the third reich_ - excellent, and during reading this I realised I don't know much about WWI ... so any good recommendations
on the history of WWI and the lead up to it ?

Thanks
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 14:32   #160
Belfast

"The Vampire Economy, by Guenter Reimann (1939) is a rare and wonderful thing: a detailed account of how the Nazis crushed the private sector and hamstrung the economy with vast regulations, violations of property rights, inflation, price controls, and taxes. "
The author emigrated from Germany and worked on Wall Street after the war. One very odd thing: Reimann was a member of the Communist Party.

THE business organization of private enterprise has had to be reorganized in accordance with the new state of things. Departments which previously were the heart of a firm have become of minor importance. Other departments which either did not exist or which had only auxiliary functions have become dominant and have usurped the real functions of management.

Formerly the purchasing agent and the salesmanager were among the most important members of a business organization. Today the emphasis has shifted and a curious new business aide, a sort of combination “gobetween” and public relations counsel, is now all-important.

His job—not the least interesting outgrowth of the Nazi economic system—is to maintain good personal relations with officials in the Economic Ministry, where he is an almost daily caller; he studies all the new regulations and decrees, knows how to interpret them in relation to his particular firm and is able to guess at what may be permitted or forbidden. In other words, it is his business to know how far one can go without being caught. He also develops special knowledge on how to camouflage private interests so that they appear to be “interests of the community” or of the State."

http://mises.org/books/vampireeconomy.pdf

08-02-2012, 22:38   #161
Reekwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast View Post
"The Vampire Economy, by Guenter Reimann (1939) is a rare and wonderful thing: a detailed account of how the Nazis crushed the private sector and hamstrung the economy with vast regulations, violations of property rights, inflation, price controls, and taxes. "
The author emigrated from Germany and worked on Wall Street after the war. One very odd thing: Reimann was a member of the Communist Party
While I haven't read this work itself, I find it very hard to see how a book written by a German emigre financier in 1939 can be considered a balanced account of the subject. Particularly when subsequent works - and Tooze's Wages of Destruction is currently the definitive study on the Nazi economy - have shown how German industrialists sponsored and prospered from both Nazi domestic policies (ie, the abolition of the Weimar 'welfare state', etc) and foreign adventures

Really, if you have any interest in the subject then Tooze is a must-read
07-05-2012, 17:27   #162
Lor1963
Closed Account

If you're interested in the Final Solution you should try Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning.It's really insightful with regard to the Reserve Police Battalions that took part in the massacres.It's certainly not for the faint of heart though....horrific,but brilliant!
21-05-2012, 14:59   #163
jonniebgood1

http://www.difp.ie/publication-reviews/

This ebook download (in link) contains private correspondences in relation to the anglo-Irish treaty negotiations. It is a free download. I think you may need kindle.
Thanks from:
20-06-2012, 20:56   #164
herisson

got two books today! They seem really interesting ill let ye know if they are!

Witnesses: Inside the Easter Rising - Annie Ryan

gives eye witness accounts from the easter rising from the people who took part and the civilians who witnessed everything

Hitlers Irishmen - Terence O'Reilly

Gives the account of the few Irishmen who were involved in the nazi side in World War 2, some of whom were used as spies for German side!
21-06-2012, 12:15   #165
Manach

Various Open US University (Stanford etc) courses are available free online, of which a couple are history themed.
https://www.coursera.org/courses.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion