Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

27-07-2002, 16:42   #1
Karl Hungus
Closed Account

Foot cramps

Maybe this is a bit odd... BUT!

I've been getting extremely painfull foot cramps for years now, and I've always been getting them in bed of all things. I get them when I'm swimming also.

But it's puzzling me that it's usually when I'm just lying still. One minute I'm dozing off, then bang my foot cramps up, and it's unbeleivably painfull.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Or know what might be wrong? I've never bothered going to the doc with this because it's something that always just happened, and I never thought much of it. But could there be something to it?
Advertisement
27-07-2002, 20:18   #2
Moriarty

IIRC cramping is mainly due to a lack of potasium in your diet. Eat a banana a day and the cramping will more than likely go away. (Thats why tennis players etc eat bananas - to stop them cramping up.)
27-07-2002, 23:29   #3
hacktavist

Quote:
Originally posted by Moriarty
IIRC cramping is mainly due to a lack of potasium in your diet. Eat a banana a day and the cramping will more than likely go away. (Thats why tennis players etc eat bananas - to stop them cramping up.)
Hrm.. and heres me thinking IIRC cramps were caused from using IRC too much...
28-07-2002, 00:34   #4
BEAT
Crafty Witch

Send a message via Yahoo to BEAT
Absolutley correct...usually a sign of low potassium in the diet. If you dont like bananas try to fins something else high in potassium there may be some pills you can take as well.

I had the same exact problem myself for awhile, however my problem was related to something else that I am not at liberty to discuss on boards. I doubt that it would affect you though...have you any other strange things happening, muscle spasms or the like?
28-07-2002, 04:54   #5
Karl Hungus
Closed Account

Thanks...
I'll try eating a few more banana's and see how it turns out.

But no, I've no spasms.
Advertisement
28-07-2002, 04:55   #6
po0k

Send a message via ICQ to po0k Send a message via MSN to po0k
They're a real bastid alright..
I get them the odd time. Sometimes swhen standing on soemthing awkwardly, like the end of a footpath and my footbends lengthways over the edge, hurts like a sheep for ages.
Can hardly walk.

The worst are the ones in your leg though, totaly cripples me when they happen.

Got a very bad neck cramp about 4 years ago too.
Was yawning in school and sudeenly couldn't move my head to the left without a massive bolt of pain.
Was that way for about 2 straight days.
Couldn't sleep the first night.
28-07-2002, 10:10   #7
Bob the Unlucky Octopus

It may not be potassium- sodium is also a concern. Make sure you get enough salt in your food. And, it sounds cliche- but the one sure way to stave off lumbago, cramps, shingles, etc- is to eat a healthy balanced diet- include 5 helpings of fruit & veg a day, and you're set. Exercise helps too- though any CoF fan gets enough exercise just trying to find a place that sells their brand of noise *cough* music ^_^

Occy
28-07-2002, 17:30   #8
RopeDrink
SpamBlammer 2000

Like the sig Occy mate.
While you're being your good doctorine self, have you any idea what can help rid you of heart burn!? Thats something that bugs my skull.
28-07-2002, 19:11   #9
Thanx 4 The Fish
Great gooogly moooogly

Take one teaspoon of mustard if you have heartburn or indigestion. You will immediatelly feel the acid going back in to the stomach. Do not drink anything right after you have taken the mustard. If one teaspoon doesn't do the trick, take another, tt surely will.

Also try eating smaller meals more frequently.

Was just talking to mam (homeopathy freak) and she reckons Nux vomica should do the trick. Dissolve one in a pint of water and sip during the day, should stop it occurring or relieve it when it happens.

Last edited by Thanx 4 The Fish; 28-07-2002 at 19:16.
Advertisement
29-07-2002, 00:39   #10
NeoSlicerZ

IIRC Yoda is actually 943
30-07-2002, 03:51   #11
Makaveli

Quote:
Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish

Was just talking to mam (homeopathy freak) and she reckons Nux vomica should do the trick. Dissolve one in a pint of water and sip during the day, should stop it occurring or relieve it when it happens.
Nux Vomica 30, no need for a higher power of it.
My Ma is a homeopath.
31-07-2002, 16:29   #12
tman

i've had the same thing as angelwhore for years now, nearly always happens when i'm relaxed in bed, and once when i was swimming.
always in my left foot aswell.
lack of salt/vegetables/fruit in my diet isnt an issue, and i used to eat bananas all the time, but they didnt make a difference
31-07-2002, 19:02   #13
Lafortezza
omg vegas

Make sure you are not dehydrated as well, that causes cramping, especially in your arms/legs if you are doing anything strenuous like sport or running for the bus,

Played alot of bball when I was younger and suffered fairly bad cos I didn't drink enough water before during or after playing for a few hours,

L.
01-08-2002, 10:55   #14
Kolodny

Re. the cramp thing...
Does it happen more if you've been out drinking?

I also get the leg cramp in bed thing sometimes. It seems to happen if I'd had a bit to drink especially. Sometimes,I wake up with a mad cramp attack, then fall asleep again, and I don't remember anything about it until I wake the next day and try to walk and I can't straighten one of my legs fully. I don't really get cramp at any other time, though my mum always told me it will happen if you wear heels that are too high (though I'm positive that doesn't apply to you AngelWhore...)
01-08-2002, 11:12   #15
Figment

I get these as well. I put it down to wearing shoes all day because i dont get them if i dont wear shoes. Its not natural to have your foot cramped tightly like that all day. Tension builds up in it.
You will find that in bed you are flexing the foot in ways that you cant when wearing a shoe, bringing new musceles into play.
I delebritaly cramp my foot after a long day, let the cramp play out (only lasts a few seconds if you dont fight it). after 1 or 2 times the foot wont cramp any more and i have lovely relaxed feet.
Thread Closed