Online Irish Translator - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-01-2002, 16:08   #1
paris

Online Irish Translator

I was wondering if anyone knows of an online translator for Irish. I have done a lot of searching but haven't turned anything decent up.

Thanks...
Advertisement
31-01-2002, 23:26   #2
Lenny
Tallaght Scumbag

Send a message via MSN to Lenny
Been looking for one for myself for a long time,
Guess its a time to still stick to the 'ol dictionary :/
01-02-2002, 10:25   #3
paris

lol yeah...that's what I figured - thanks for the reply. At least now I know it's not just me who can't unearth one.
05-02-2002, 16:26   #4
Kraken

why bother its a dead language... its hard and well i dont like it very much

bah
06-02-2002, 00:28   #5
Bard

Send a message via Yahoo to Bard Send a message via Skype™ to Bard
Quote:
Originally posted by Kraken

bah
as unhelpful replies go, you're really taking the cake there Kraken...

so let me get this straight - you're saying not to bother translating things to Irish because it's an old difficult language that you dislike.

how idiotic can you get?

If you've nothing useful to say then there's a lot to be said for saying nothing. If you've no interest in the Irish language then don't bother posting on the Gaeilge board.

--

Unfortunately I don't personally know of any translation services on the web which cover the Irish language.

Hopefully, Google, which allows you to use their site through irish will add the language to their translator at some stage... it's well worth keeping an eye on the site, or firing off an email to Google themselves to find out more.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2002, 12:46   #6
Yoda

Send a message via AIM to Yoda Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda
Quote:
Dúirt Bard

Unfortunately I don't personally know of any translation services on the web which cover the Irish language.
Níl a leithéid ann. Agus is rud an-dheacair é, teanga a aistriú go huathoibríoch go teanga eile. Go bhfios dom, níl éinne ar bith ag obair ar inneal aistriúcháin don Ghaeilge.
12-02-2002, 18:02   #7
FatB

i used to have a motorola t2288??? the blue wap phone, anyway i know when i went into the wap home-page (wap.eircell???) it had an irish translator on it, if i can find it on the web i'll let ya know
13-02-2002, 09:13   #8
suppafly

Send a message via AIM to suppafly
Quote:
Originally posted by Kraken

bah
So your denieing your heritage. i mean i don't know much i irish anymore but I wish i did. I would like to have anyother language that we could speak. i think it would be really cool if all of ireland spoke fluent irsh and english. But ohwell thats not going to happen anytime soon.
13-02-2002, 09:34   #9
Rolo Tomasi

If a good doesn't exist would anyone like to create one? I would be happy to help in any way I could.
Advertisement
13-02-2002, 10:48   #10
Yoda

One can't do very much about some people's hostility toward the Irish language, but I must say in the months that I've been reading Boards.ie I have been truly shocked by the constant and widespread disregard for spelling, punctuation, and grammar in English....

Tá rogha idir dhá theanga againn in Éirinn; b'fhiú máistreacht a dhéanamh thar ceann acu ar a laghad.
Thanks from:
15-02-2002, 15:22   #11
Typedef

It should be possible to write an asp (or) php page that would take a word or string of words (delimited by say \x20 or space(so you could pass in a scentence)) and then look those words up in an sql database.

That "should" be relatively easy, tho a scentence would be parsed back out in the original language's order so while the string might be etymologically correct it would be gramatically a throw away.

Just a thought.
15-02-2002, 17:10   #12
Yoda

Machine translation is enormously complex, all the more so when you consider the orthographic and grammatical complexity of modern Irish. If anyone here is serious about it, I could try to put you in touch with some computational linguists in Norway who might be able to point you in the right direction.
16-02-2002, 01:17   #13
Typedef

Quote:
computational linguists in Norway
Sounds interesting.

What I would say is that it would be 'relatively' simple to have a website that would run php with an sql backend that could 'parse' singular words or phrases of words (scentences) and simply throw out the appropiate translation albeit gramatically incorrect.

If you build some serious lingustic logic into the sql queries somewhere, or had prolog or lisp doing some serious logic crunching for you, it might be possible to have a bash at parsing scentences restructuring the scentence and tenses where appropiate, tho as I have never undertaken something like that I can't comment on how 'easy' of 'difficult' such logical (language crunching) would be.
That said it is better to try and fail then to simply fail to try no?

Still relatively simple and fast sql could 'probably' be written to do the word/mangled_scentence scrunching and mangeling.
/I suppose\.

Last edited by Typedef; 16-02-2002 at 01:19.
17-02-2002, 14:07   #14
paris

FatBastard - thanks, I would be interested in the URL if you can locate it.

I would even like some site where you could translate single words - not even complex sentences - although that would be great

paris
18-02-2002, 16:20   #15
Doctúir

http://www.topstudy.com/wap/index.wml#intro

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size