Spooks - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-09-2005, 15:41   #1
holly_johnson

Spooks

Am I the only person who's glad Spooks is back on BBC1 next Monday at 9??

Anyone I have spoken to has kind of sniggered...
I know it is going to be hard to get into because all of the main characters have left, but I still think it was good drama!

Last edited by holly_johnson; 06-09-2005 at 15:41. Reason: spelling
Advertisement
06-09-2005, 16:23   #2
mike65
Closed Account

Spooks is cool, it got slightly up its arse towards the end of the "Tom" era with to much "artsy" filmed melodrama. I can take only so much adagio string and camera movement. The arrival of Adam Carter and his missus has livened things up as they are thrill seekers first public servants second.

The new series starts with a precient story about London and 4 terrorist bombs.

Mike.
06-09-2005, 16:28   #3
440Hz
iMod

Mod: Kerry, Mac, South
have you tried the spy games on the spooks website?! super fun! i can't wait for monday, soooo excited!
06-09-2005, 21:46   #4
holly_johnson

Must try those spy games.. interesting !
13-09-2005, 09:14   #5
holly_johnson

Anyone see it last night?

Pretty good I thought, if a bit close to the bone with the London bomb thingy.
The second part is on tonight at 9. Looking forward to it!
Advertisement
13-09-2005, 09:33   #6
corblimey

Yeah, good show, great to have it back, although I missed the last ep from the last series and didn't know that Danny had been killed. Bit of a shock, tbh.

Last night's ep seemed very 24-ish just with everything speeded up and unnecessary fillers removed. The mole is a bit of a let down, though.
13-09-2005, 10:03   #7
grumpytrousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly_johnson
Anyone see it last night?

Pretty good I thought, if a bit close to the bone with the London bomb thingy.
The second part is on tonight at 9. Looking forward to it!
Did the professor bloke (or was it Ruth) get it a bit wrong there when going on about 'people who should survive' and somebody mentioned

"Andrew Lloyd Webber" and the other character says "I don't know, I quite enjoyed Les Mis"...

O'course as any fule kno, the oxygen thieving peer of the realm didn't write Les Mis...so was this a howler in the script, or do i just need to pay more attention.

See, ordinarily I'd have 'rewound' on the aul SKY+, but as the thing is tempermental as hell these days, i'm afraid i had to let it go!

topping episode overall though...just didn't let up at all. Harry is, officially, one of the coolest chaps on the telly. And wasn't that George from Drop The Dead Donkey as the Home Secretary?
13-09-2005, 11:22   #8
holly_johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpytrousers
Did the professor bloke (or was it Ruth) get it a bit wrong there when going on about 'people who should survive' and somebody mentioned

"Andrew Lloyd Webber" and the other character says "I don't know, I quite enjoyed Les Mis"...

O'course as any fule kno, the oxygen thieving peer of the realm didn't write Les Mis...so was this a howler in the script, or do i just need to pay more attention.

See, ordinarily I'd have 'rewound' on the aul SKY+, but as the thing is tempermental as hell these days, i'm afraid i had to let it go!

topping episode overall though...just didn't let up at all. Harry is, officially, one of the coolest chaps on the telly. And wasn't that George from Drop The Dead Donkey as the Home Secretary?
Yeah a bit of a howler mistake alright! Still, very enjoyable episode
14-09-2005, 17:28   #9
unkel
Seņor Fring

Love spooks, probably the only program out there that I'd make sure I record if I'd miss it

That home secretary is a class dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65
Spooks is cool, it got slightly up its arse towards the end of the "Tom" era
Exactly, it was getting a bit soft. I liked the interweaving of 6 and all its intrigues in the last series (or was it the first series) though
Advertisement
14-09-2005, 18:47   #10
Pepe LeFrits

Good episode last night. I love Martine McCutcheon!

Is there some kind of running joke to do with the Gherkin? Every single shot of the London skyline they show has it. I know it's fairly prominent, but it seems that they go out of their way to include it in every shot, no matter where they are. For example, in the episode last night, it had already been shown several times, and then at the end at the waitress' apartment, you can see it in the distance...

I also watched the season 2 episode about the Russian mafia moneylaundering last night on DVD, and it was pretty unnerving. Most of the episode was shot in or around the Bank of England, which is a 30 second walk from where I work. Pretty distracting actually. I think they may have even shot the nightclub scene in the local meat-market 'Abacus', though it was a narrow shot so it was hard to tell. When they showed Danny's tracker on the roadmap, it was a strange feeling! I guess the recent bombings at Liverpool St and others show that the area is a target.
14-09-2005, 21:30   #11
Sarsfield

Any news of a repeat on BBC3 or anything? I watched episode 1 not realising part 2 was on last night and I wasn't in reach of a TV
15-09-2005, 08:31   #12
holly_johnson

Episode 3 is on BBC3 tonight for those (like me) who can't wait until next Monday!
15-09-2005, 22:35   #13
mike65
Closed Account

One complaint I have is the use of that great big phased Bang!!!!!!!! sound complete with cunning reverse reverb. It makes me jump!

Quote:
Is there some kind of running joke to do with the Gherkin?
Indeed, it must have featured in a dozen shots. Once upon a time it was Big Ben or Bust!

Mike.
17-09-2005, 13:23   #14
Pepe LeFrits

I watched the season 2 finale on DVD last night, i've never been so depressed after watching a TV program before. I felt physically ill after it
20-09-2005, 08:39   #15
holly_johnson

Lesson learnt last night to check tv listings before I get comfy...

Was all settled with a cuppa and some choccie biccies to watch Spooks, only to see Waking the Dead! I started to panic, switched to BBC2, BBC3, nope.
Really panicking now, check digital tv listings for today, nope. Tomorrow, oh I forgot, crappy NTL digital never has forward listings.
Check on BBC teletext, nope not listed for tomorrow. Leg it upstairs, boot up pc and go to spooks website - not on until Thursday! phew. Console myself by playing the games on the spooks site instead.

What's the story though, it always used to be on a Monday, and why have the premiere on a Monday if it's not going to be on that night for the rest of the series?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion