Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-06-2010, 16:26   #166
Best Price Accessories

my mother is addicted to create and craft - she's mad into all sorts of crafts and she's debating whether to set up her own shop - do you think there'd be a market for it? either on ebay or a website?
Advertisement
24-06-2010, 21:58   #167
looksee

Unfortunately a love of crafts is not the most important aspect of running a craft shop - an instinct for business and an ability to calculate - what to order, how much, and what to charge for it. Been there
24-06-2010, 22:51   #168
applesock

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelyohara View Post
It's really strange... but I can't find them anywhere in Ireland or the UK! They were really common place and they've just disappeared.

If you really want that type you could always order from Dick Blick - Pang are a good brand and Dick Blick will ship to Ireland.

I'll keep it in mind but I've spent about an hour searching online (became a bit of a personal challenge) and I can't find any locally - plenty of china markers tho' if that's any use

i have these got them in easons years ago.
25-06-2010, 03:01   #169
sparklicous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Price Accessories View Post
my mother is addicted to create and craft - she's mad into all sorts of crafts and she's debating whether to set up her own shop - do you think there'd be a market for it? either on ebay or a website?
etsy.com is an awsome site for selling crafty things. you should start there.
26-06-2010, 23:27   #170
TreasureBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklicous View Post
etsy.com is an awsome site for selling crafty things. you should start there.
She could also try Ebid - works in the same way as Ebay but much lower fees, and friendly forum for any questions.
Advertisement
22-07-2010, 23:12   #171
T4RGET

could anyone help me?
I'm looking for a few things to do a project adn thought this is the place for it
anyone know where I could get
-epoxy resin
-wax paper
-fiberglass sheeting (it's like fiberglass that comes in strips, I was thinking of trying a conoeing shop)

basically I need to prep the epoxy and then layer the fiberglass over something, then the epoxy will harden it, giving it a rigid external.

Thanks for any help.
27-07-2010, 00:32   #172
boxercreations

In a word - No.
If she likes the stuff on create and craft she will never be able to buy at wholesale and sell for the price create and craft can.
To be successful on E-Bay be prepared to loose or break even for at least 12 months to gain market share and reputation, only then than can start to increase prices when you have RR customers (return revenue) - and basically the bigger power sellers will always have the ability to undercut you. The only E-bay success is to find a craft niche before it hits create and craft and that is also a must buy.
We love paper but we are fickle - we want the latest paper, but we want it now and by the time you order it, we want something else. Leaving you with piles of unwanted stock.
Are there niches?
Yes.
Can you find them - probably.
Will you succeed from Create and Craft - probably not.

Has she looked at the competition? Off the top of my head there is
www.craftsupplies.ie
www.diyweddings.ie
www.craftyangels.ie
www.cardznscrapz.com
www.ansiopabui.ie
www.treasurebin.com
www.joannasheen.com offers free worldwide postage
and then you have all the online stores.

I love papercrafts - www.boxercreations.blogspot.com for stuff I was doing - I got a bit fed up this year but I know there is no way I could afford the outlay to start a retail store.
Sadly, I know of 3 Irish craft store owners that have folded this year,
30-07-2010, 14:02   #173
roseym

Shop selling jewellery wire?

Hi all, I'm desperately looking for jewellery wire that I need for a cake I'm supposed to be making for a party on Sunday. I'll be driving from Ennis to New Ross tomorrow, so any shop along or close to the route would be great ie. Clare, Limerick, Tipp, Waterford, Wexford. Any ideas?
30-07-2010, 15:04   #174
TreasureBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseym View Post
Hi all, I'm desperately looking for jewellery wire that I need for a cake I'm supposed to be making for a party on Sunday. I'll be driving from Ennis to New Ross tomorrow, so any shop along or close to the route would be great ie. Clare, Limerick, Tipp, Waterford, Wexford. Any ideas?
Sorry, but the nearest one I can think off is the Galway Bead shop. Does it have to be jewellery wire? Would florist wire do? Or maybe you can find something in a haberdashers?
Advertisement
30-07-2010, 15:21   #175
roseym

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureBin View Post
Sorry, but the nearest one I can think off is the Galway Bead shop. Does it have to be jewellery wire? Would florist wire do? Or maybe you can find something in a haberdashers?
I'm afraid that florist wire wouldn't really be suitable for going into a cake though, I'd say there must be some dodge chemicals in it. Although may I could wrap it in something to stop it getting in contact with the cake. Just thought jewellery wire would be of better quality. I'm going to try in a florists just in case they have something suitable though.
30-07-2010, 15:26   #176
TreasureBin

Jewellery wire would not automatically be better, because it would depend on what metal it was made from - could be anything from aluminium, copper, brass, or an alloy (or sterling silver or gold if you want to really splash out!)
So you might have to wrap in something anyway.
03-08-2010, 14:52   #177
karenjlwalker

I find that sometimes the stores that you can find on ebay can be very good, depending on what you are looking for of course. I recently ordered some things off there that I could not really have found in any shops in my area and the shipping and everything was extremely cheap. Just make sure that you check the quality of the card etc, before you buy
09-08-2010, 15:36   #178
Amandapanda801

Arts and Crafts are so fun!!
09-08-2010, 19:35   #179
kavanagh_h

I had to write to say that there is a little wool shop in Drogheda, Co Louth that I stumbled upon by chance this week as its not on the internet anywhere ('They are keeping it simple'). It is a little treasure of a place and the assistants were very helpful and told me what wool and how much of it I needed and are always on hand to answer any questions I have with the pattern. It's also very reasonably priced compared to the wool on the internet. They will also be holding knitting classes for a fiver at half 7 on mondays from sept 13th 2010. Drop in when you need to for a lesson. I am new to knitting so its great that there is a place like this close by.
14-08-2010, 19:05   #180
kavanagh_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavanagh_h View Post
I had to write to say that there is a little wool shop in Drogheda, Co Louth that I stumbled upon by chance this week as its not on the internet anywhere ('They are keeping it simple'). It is a little treasure of a place and the assistants were very helpful and told me what wool and how much of it I needed and are always on hand to answer any questions I have with the pattern. It's also very reasonably priced compared to the wool on the internet. They will also be holding knitting classes for a fiver at half 7 on mondays from sept 13th 2010. Drop in when you need to for a lesson. I am new to knitting so its great that there is a place like this close by.
I meant to say that its called Breda's Wool Shop at the top of Narrow West Street

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion