Lapua .22lr ammo - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-06-2005, 11:14   #1
jaycee

Lapua .22lr ammo

Hi all,

I've had a look on the www.lapua.com website and they list a bunch of
different ammo types (Even a choice of diameters to account for slightly tighter bores)

The only Lapua I seem to be able to find here is either "Standard Club" or "Super Club"

These are pretty much the bottom of the heap in the Lapua range,

anyone know where I can source the better stuff ?
I would dearly like to try it out .
Advertisement
17-06-2005, 11:29   #2
Sparks
Category Moderator

To be honest JC, unless you're batch testing your barrel (in which case you go to the factory yourself), I'm not sure getting anything fancier than Super Club or Multimatch (or Master M, it's the same stuff essentially, just a different box) is worth it. But I get mine from Wilkinstown, and I think that it's sourced either through Millard bros or Ardee. Can't remember which.
17-06-2005, 11:40   #3
jaycee

http://www.lapua.com/images/master.jpg

An excellent competition cartridge and good all-rounder, the Master bullet weighs 2.59 g (40 gr) and is available in the same bullet alternatives as the Midas (M = 5.67
and L = 5.69).

Just thought it would be interesting to see the effects or lack of...with different diameter ammo

I have experimented with different types of ammo ..and so far in my rifle...

Remington Subs... Yuck
Eley ... Useless groups
CCI Subs... As above only worse.
Winchester ..a bit better ..
Standard club Lapua.. even better
Super Club Lapua... Best group sizes and consistancy so far.

I'm tryin to source some RWS target and some of the better Lapua to round
off these informal tests.

Last edited by jaycee; 17-06-2005 at 11:50.
17-06-2005, 12:04   #4
Sparks
Category Moderator

Well, you could try RWS R50/R100, but it'll be a tad expensive It's good ammo though, I've seen comparative batch testing between RWS and Eley on the same barrel and I'm not buying Eley at any time in the near future I'm also planning on going and getting some batch-tested R50 (& probably some R10 as well while I'm at it) in the new year. Till now I've been shooting Lapua Multimatch and Master M, it's good quality stuff (better than I need to be honest, since I've only been shooting at 25yd for the last while ). But the age-old rule applies; the best round for your rifle is the one that shoots best in it - and that's not always the most expensive one. Try lots of different types, pick the best one you can afford and then put a few thousand rounds down the barrel in training Unless, of course, you're not doing competitive target shooting, in which case there are different criteria...
17-06-2005, 12:43   #5
civdef

Millards diistribute Lapua, and they usually have a good selection available, get your dealer to give them a ring. The only problem is that there usually are minimum orders (between 1000-5000rds) so you'll either have to undertake to buy that amount, or convince your dealer it's worthwhile to stock them.
Advertisement
17-06-2005, 21:51   #6
Citizen_Erased

just to borrow this for a mo - I'm just trying a new round out - same price as lapuas super club but I cant find any ballistics for them. Can you help me out , they are winchester super x subsonic hollowpoints.
Cheers in advance.
17-06-2005, 23:47   #7
civdef

Most Winchester rimfire ammuniton comes from the Australian subsidiary.

http://www.olin.com.au/enlarge/rimfire02.html
18-06-2005, 00:14   #8
jaycee

Quote:
winchester super x subsonic hollowpoints.
Tried them last week..

about the same as Lapua standard club ..
Not as good as super club.

Your rifle may "Enjoy" them more than mine.
18-06-2005, 17:24   #9
zaraba
No man is a River Island

on the ammo topic...

Is there much difference over 25yds between brands? I shot winchester t22 and lapua match at this distance and there was no visible notice between the groups, got perfect scores with both brands.
Advertisement
18-06-2005, 18:01   #10
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by original_psycho
on the ammo topic...

Is there much difference over 25yds between brands? I shot winchester t22 and lapua match at this distance and there was no visible notice between the groups, got perfect scores with both brands.
No, at least nothing you'd ever notice. As long as it's reasonable quality, pretty much anything will hold the ten ring at 25yds indoors. There are the odd exceptions of course - I had an eley tenex round once keyhole through at 25yds - but they're rare enough. It's at 50m and more outdoors that it becomes more critical.
19-06-2005, 12:53   #11
Citizen_Erased

I didnt notice much difference between lapua superclubs and the other winchesters I asked about at roughly 45yards , still seemed just as tidy and tight to me... (note: I shot both of them at two targets beside each other and you would be hard pushed to spot the difference)
19-06-2005, 23:15   #12
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Erased
I didnt notice much difference between lapua superclubs and the other winchesters I asked about at roughly 45yards , still seemed just as tidy and tight to me... (note: I shot both of them at two targets beside each other and you would be hard pushed to spot the difference)
For most disciplines CE, there wouldn't be that much of a difference - but for the ISSF 50m discipline, especially in prone, you need an ammunition-barrel setup that will hold a group of less than 15mm edge-to-edge to be competitive at world cup level (and sub-12mm is looked for a lot at the higher levels).
19-06-2005, 23:31   #13
Citizen_Erased

Yeah but if your shooting at that level I think you 'll buy something better than umpa lumpas or super x s . Just on another side thing, is there something unusual that I cant hold the gun as steady in the prone position than in the seated? Is that specified in competitions or is it just generally considered better prone?
20-06-2005, 08:06   #14
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Yeah but if your shooting at that level I think you 'll buy something better than umpa lumpas or super x s
In general yes, but there are quite a few excellent shooters out there shooting with ammunition that wouldn't be sold as top-of-the-line, but which happens to suit their individual barrel very well indeed.

Quote:
Just on another side thing, is there something unusual that I cant hold the gun as steady in the prone position than in the seated? Is that specified in competitions or is it just generally considered better prone?
If anything, it ought to be easier to hold the rifle steady in a good prone position, but I think you might be shooting with a different kind of rifle, no? A lot of the anschutz match 54s were sold in prone-only stocks, mainly because belly shooting's so popular in Europe. But they're very tough to shoot from any other position really. They're too heavy, and the stock isn't right for pretty much anything but prone.
Of course, there is the question of what kind of seated position you mean - if you mean sitting unsupported on the firing point with the rifle, that's one thing - but sitting at a benchrest table, that's another thing entirely
20-06-2005, 08:44   #15
Citizen_Erased

Its a bull barrel with a beaver tail stock , but I think it just doesnt in general work for me , I have tried a few differant techniques etc... but nothing. And buy seated I mean my backside on the ground and me elbows resting on my legs . What I was wondering is is there anything regarding what position you take in most competitions?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion