Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2012, 10:54   #1711
xxyyzz

webcam

The Ballybunion beach webcam is up and running.
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 18:15   #1712
snow scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyyzz View Post
The Ballybunion beach webcam is up and running.
Interesting, the picture holds steady at that website, but the image blinks on and off at Ballybunion Rescue site. (Or is it just me? Ballybunion Rescue webcam flickers on Firefox, but holds steady on Chrome.)
12-05-2012, 21:03   #1713
snow scorpion

Hmm, now I'm confused. (Fortunately, for me confusion is pretty much my default state of mind. )

In the current edition of the Ballybunion News it says:

Quote:
At certain times in the past number of days the tide on the ladies beach was so far out that it was possible to walk around the headland and on to the Nun’s strand, a treat for many locals who have never experienced this before.

In fact, the tides were so low that it was almost possible to get to within touching distance of the Virgin Rock which is of course located just off the Nun’s strand.

Ballybunion does experience low tides on a number of occasions each year where it appears to be possible from afar to do this until you actually attempt it but this past week it could actually be done.

It gave several local camera enthusiasts the chance to shoot rare pictures of the beaches, the caves and the various landscapes around our beautiful bay.
Ballybunion News Issue 10, Vol 2

It's not possible to walk out and touch the Virgin Rock? I had planned on doing just that this summer.
13-05-2012, 09:29   #1714
0utcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow scorpion View Post
Hmm, now I'm confused. (Fortunately, for me confusion is pretty much my default state of mind. )

In the current edition of the Ballybunion News it says:

Ballybunion News Issue 10, Vol 2

It's not possible to walk out and touch the Virgin Rock? I had planned on doing just that this summer.
Im afraid its not normally possible, the Virgins rock is located in the middle of the Nuns Strand Bay

And I'm not sure if the rescue website works properly with Firefox, which is why you might be having problems

Last edited by 0utcast; 13-05-2012 at 09:46.
23-05-2012, 01:18   #1715
damoahern

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroman View Post
Was just looking at the Ballyb. site and came across the querys on the old town. As far as I know the Church Of Ireland
which stood where the car park now is was erected during 1860s/1870s period to serve a fairly large Prodestant congregation in the area, a rectory was also built next door. The Church was closed and deconscrated late 50s early 60s due to falling numbers. The Church was taken over as far as I know by Kerry CO.Co., was knocked down and the stones used as rubble, meanwhile the Rectory was bought by Tralee garage owner Tommy Horan who extended the building at the side and rere. It was opened in the late 1960s as Horans Hotel( afterwards called The Atlantic) and was a real summer hotspot,this period and into the 1970s was Ballybunions hayday, Mattie O Sullivan had done major work on the Central and Dan Kiely had built a new complex out on the Listowel road at the West End. I can recall the fierce rivalry between the 3 venue's, on one weekend alone the 3 major Irish Showband's were in competion,The Royal with Brendan Boyer, The Capitol wih Butch Moore AND The Dixies with Brendan O Brien. However the demise of the dancehalls brought this period to an end
and sadly I think the demise of the real nightlife that was Ballybunion.
The present Library which was a former church of Ireland building was brought from Rathoo, Ballyduff and rebuilt at its current site on Sandhill Road.
We have always believed the protestant church in Ballybunion (now the library) came from Athea, co Limerick??
Advertisement
23-05-2012, 09:11   #1716
RiderOnTheStorm

the current library did come from Athea. There is a plaque inside the door saying this.

the old protestant church (the one in old photos showing the castle green) was demolished and rubble used in buildings around the town.

not sure of the timeline ..... maybe the church was demolished and then a new one carted in from Athea .... I will check
31-05-2012, 05:56   #1717
snow scorpion

The Nine Daughters' Hole from an angle you've never seen it before.

(Well, maybe Rider has seen it from this angle, but not the rest of us.)

Thanks from:
06-06-2012, 08:32   #1718
Chea

Does anyone here know if there are any part-time jobs going this summer? I'll be down for all of July and August so needless to say I need a way to kill time
06-06-2012, 18:10   #1719
Blackrocks

new SHOP FOR ECONOMIC CLIMATE!

HEY GUYS, BEEN AGES SINCE I POSTED, Just heard Ballybunion has a great €2 SHOP! no more overcharging! yeh... 3 drinks for €2 and lots more incl batteries, chocolate cosmetics and cards for €1!!
our visitors will be charmed. Got to look after tourists and stop this overcharging! Hope they do well
Advertisement
06-06-2012, 20:54   #1720
Chea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrocks View Post

HEY GUYS, BEEN AGES SINCE I POSTED, Just heard Ballybunion has a great €2 SHOP! no more overcharging! yeh... 3 drinks for €2 and lots more incl batteries, chocolate cosmetics and cards for €1!!
our visitors will be charmed. Got to look after tourists and stop this overcharging! Hope they do well
Do me a favour and ask them if they have any jobs available haha Whereabouts are they?
07-06-2012, 09:05   #1721
RiderOnTheStorm

I cant get over the number of shops & business (and houses!) that have been painted over the last month or so. One day I counted 6 people on ladders painting at the same time! The main street really looks good. Its amazing how good a new coat of paint makes a place look. Hearty Costellos got a very good paint job, complete with re-painting the name sign too ....
07-06-2012, 19:40   #1722
boomkatalog
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
Do me a favour and ask them if they have any jobs available haha Whereabouts are they?
Beside Carrol's gift shop, across from Mario's.
15-06-2012, 23:32   #1723
ncmc

Does anyone have any information on the leisure centre closure? Doesn't seem to be much explanation on the website. just wondering when, or if it will be reopening.
17-06-2012, 15:52   #1724
RiderOnTheStorm

The Leisure Centre closed recently due to financial problems. It is still closed. The management are in talks with the Council to see if they can help, as the Council originally guaranteed the loan. The local vintners have offered a very generous lump sum and the employess have raised some money doing a bag-pack in the local Super Valu. They were hoping to open for the long weekend, but it didnt work out. As it stands, 15 employess are out of work and the town has lost a valuable amenity. If it opens again, things will have to change, as there is no point in wiping out the debts and then doing the same thing again and getting into the same problems again in a few months. There is talks of changing the heating system to a more efficient one, and they may do something about the solar water heaters that never worked from day one.

If there are any updates, I will keep you posted.
Thanks from:
25-06-2012, 12:14   #1725
RiderOnTheStorm

After the public meeting, the Leisure Centre is planning to open within the week. The council have agreed for it to open for 3 months of summer, and a tax cert has been arranged to allow trading. There are plans to change the heating system (may not happen in the 3 months) to save money in medium to lopng term.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion