Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Add Sandymount to the list, it may be a nice area to regulars but a stabbing death there overnight would scare away the visitors! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kevinm07

INNER CITY/Sheriff Street area, Summerhill, Dolphin's Barn, The Liberties, Coombe area etc. by far the worst part of Dublin with all the flat complexes around like Dolphin's House, St. Teresa's Gardens, Donore Ave, Liberty House and Oliver Bond flats etc its a kip. I witnessed a huge fight between about 10 junkies and a few of them were arrested when the garda came on horses. Sean mcDermott street is bad, there was a shooting there yesterday and today i seen a junkie strung out on heroin chasing after some black fella who was running for his life and shouted "see your ears, il take them off your head" then said "if i dont get that money (drug money) tomorrow il kill ye!" the garda arrived immediately.

Clondalkin\Bawnogue, Neilstown, Ronanstown a very bad area there is always shootings there and the place is a kip. The area has a bad drug problem and unemployment is high also its full of joyriding scumbags who rob cars and burn them out in fields and on the roads.

Tallaght Especially West Tallaght (Jobstown, Fettercairn, Killinarden, Rossfield, Kiltatown and then theres Cushlawn and Tymon. Its a kip

Finglas Its a kip and Dunsink Lane is a warzone. Shootings are frequent in the area.

Blanchardstown The bad parts are Fortlawn, Whitestown and Corduff the rest is ok but theres a problem with burnt out cars

Ballymun its a kip around the flats which are in the process of been demolished but its been regenerated and its not near as half bad as it was.

Coolock/Darndale Not that bad a few robbed and burnt out cars every week and the odd shooting or stabbing. Darndale isnt as bad as it was.

Thats all the bad areas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kevinm07 wrote:

Thats all the bad areas

Well that's that settled - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

kevinm07 wrote:
    INNER CITY/Sheriff Street area, Summerhill, ..............Oliver Bond flats etc its a kip.

Clondalkin\Bawnogue, Neilstown, Ronanstown the place is a kip.

Tallaght Especially West Tallaght ...... Its a kip

Finglas............ Its a kip

Ballymun............ its a kip around the flats

Someone get this man a thesaurus (sp) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kevinm07 wrote:
    INNER CITY/Sheriff Street area, Summerhill, Dolphin's Barn, The Liberties, Coombe area etc. by far the worst part of Dublin with all the flat complexes around like Dolphin's House, St. Teresa's Gardens, Donore Ave, Liberty House and Oliver Bond flats etc its a kip. I witnessed a huge fight between about 10 junkies and a few of them were arrested when the garda came on horses. Sean mcDermott street is bad, there was a shooting there yesterday and today i seen a junkie strung out on heroin chasing after some black fella who was running for his life and shouted "see your ears, il take them off your head" then said "if i dont get that money (drug money) tomorrow il kill ye!" the garda arrived immediately.

Clondalkin\Bawnogue, Neilstown, Ronanstown a very bad area there is always shootings there and the place is a kip. The area has a bad drug problem and unemployment is high also its full of joyriding scumbags who rob cars and burn them out in fields and on the roads.

Tallaght Especially West Tallaght (Jobstown, Fettercairn, Killinarden, Rossfield, Kiltatown and then theres Cushlawn and Tymon. Its a kip

Finglas Its a kip and Dunsink Lane is a warzone. Shootings are frequent in the area.

Blanchardstown The bad parts are Fortlawn, Whitestown and Corduff the rest is ok but theres a problem with burnt out cars

Ballymun its a kip around the flats which are in the process of been demolished but its been regenerated and its not near as half bad as it was.

Coolock/Darndale Not that bad a few robbed and burnt out cars every week and the odd shooting or stabbing. Darndale isnt as bad as it was.

Thats all the bad areas

Will the real Paul Williams please step forward.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

kevinm07 wrote:
    Coolock/Darndale Not that bad

Kevinm07, where are you from? I'd hazard a guess and say not Coolock anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

kevinm07 wrote:
    INNER CITY/Sheriff Street area, Summerhill, Dolphin's Barn, The Liberties, Coombe area etc.
    Clondalkin\Bawnogue, Neilstown, Ronanstown
    Tallaght
    Finglas
    Blanchardstown
    Ballymun
    Coolock/Darndale
    Thats all the bad areas

Really? - thats ALL of them? THats not bad then since it only covers a small percentage of the whole city.

Still, if thats them all we can close this thread now.

deswalsh wrote:
    Really? - thats ALL of them?

He forgot Ballyfermot so the thread has to stay, sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Does the original question not ask for 'The' worst area?
    A list of 'kips' does not provide the answer. Personally, I think the area around 'The Liberties' is the worst part of Dublin. If only the Vicar Street venue was a mile or two further east!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

kevinm07 wrote:

Thats all the bad areas

thanx 4 sum up...i wl print it out and hang in my car..
    to remind me not 2 go after hrs...
    wha bout starting a thread for safe areas in dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

confuzed wrote:
    wha bout starting a thread for safe areas in dublin...

But then you wouldn't have as much fun. How could people make such sweeping generalisations for that thread.

"I was walking down Grafton Street the other day and I felt so safe" doesn't have the same scope for rabid generalisations and bull**** as "I knew a guy whose aunt worked with a girl who drove by Darndale and it's a kip"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I lived in the Sherrif st. Area for 12 years, nothing ever happened to me, I walked in and out of town at all hours of the day and night. I found it perfectly safe. Shootings are for people usually involved in drugs or gang warfare. There was a shooting in Clontarf not so long ago, also a killing in a derilect house, it was burned down then. Doesn't mean its a kip.

lightening wrote:
    I lived in the Sherrif st. Area for 12 years, nothing ever happened to me, I walked in and out of town at all hours of the day and night. I found it perfectly safe. Shootings are for people usually involved in drugs or gang warfare. There was a shooting in Clontarf not so long ago, also a killing in a derilect house, it was burned down then. Doesn't mean its a kip.

I lived in Sheriffer too!.

lightening wrote:

The two guys involved in the killing and house burning in Clontarf hail from Edenmore, so you are therefore perfectly correct - it doesnt mean Clontarf is a kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

and neither does the 2 of them coming from edenmore mean edenmore is a kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

oh dear...reading through this thread is making me quite pensive about moving to Dublin..its a nightmare finding accommodation that isn't going to leave me penniless while in college...but then i guess its all relative, i know Limerick and Cork city well so i guess ill just have to get to know Dublin and its dodgy bits and avoid them!

and neither does the 2 of them coming from edenmore mean edenmore is a kip
    True, true.

Its the people in an area that make it sh1te though, not simply the location of the area. Some areas just have a higher percentage of sh1theads than others.

It seems that in most areas, the 80/20 rule applies: 80% of the trouble/crime/bad news is caused by 20% of the residents.

Probably not as high as 20% in all areas, certainly higher in some - my experience of Edenmore was that 99% of the hassle there was caused by 1% of the residents!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

deswalsh wrote:
    The two guys involved in the killing and house burning in Clontarf hail from Edenmore, so you are therefore perfectly correct - it doesnt mean Clontarf is a kip.

Parts of it are..Connquer Hill and Brian Boru street for example.

Conquer hill is fine now. I have friends that live there, full of yuppies and rich kids!

Regarding the killer of Noel Roche in Clontarf... Who told you they were from Edenmore Dewalshe?

The murder of Darren Geoghegan (aged 26) from Drimnagh in Dublin, and Gavin Byrne (aged 30) from Crumlin, was believed to have promoted a revenge attack which saw Noel Roche (aged 27) shot dead in a car outside the Yacht Pub in Clontarf.

They were at a Phill Collins concert.

Must have been Genises!

lightening wrote:
    Regarding the killer of Noel Roche in Clontarf... Who told you they were from Edenmore Dewalshe?
    I was referring to the bloke killed in the house that was torched on Seafield Avenue.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote:
    I lived in the Sherrif st. Area for 12 years, nothing ever happened to me

Maybe because you were from Sheriff Street, its the people from other areas they attack or mug. They dont like people coming into their area. About a month ago, me and my 2 friends walked up to Lwr. Sheriff Street and about three seconds after we arrived we turned back because 8-10 youngfellas were shouting and whistling at us ,telling us to come back. If it wasnt for all the armed garda on Commons Street, we would of got punched around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Lived on Railway St just off Foley St which is parallel to Talbot St. It was great fun, especially gettin taxis! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kevinm07 wrote:
    Maybe because you were from Sheriff Street, its the people from other areas they attack or mug. They dont like people coming into their area. About a month ago, me and my 2 friends walked up to Lwr. Sheriff Street and about three seconds after we arrived we turned back because 8-10 youngfellas were shouting and whistling at us ,telling us to come back. If it wasnt for all the armed garda on Commons Street, we would of got punched around.

No, you THINK you might have been - this is not the same thing.

kevinm07 wrote:
    Maybe because you were from Sheriff Street, its the people from other areas they attack or mug. They dont like people coming into their area.

No, I am from another area, moved in and was made feel very welcome and part of the community.
    kevinm07 wrote:
    we turned back because 8-10 youngfellas were shouting and whistling at us ,telling us to come back.

Wow. What a hell hole, whistling and shouting.
    kevinm07 wrote:
    If it wasnt for all the armed garda on Commons Street, we would of got punched around.

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Some sensationalism on here about Sherriff Street. Do you people by cahnce work for the Indo or Hearald?

Originally Posted by kevinm07
    If it wasnt for all the armed garda on Commons Street, we would of got punched around.

How do you know that?[/QUOTE]

Well there not going to jump on us with garda armed with uzi 9mm staring at them cop on!

Wow. What a hell hole, whistling and shouting.[/QUOTE]

Oh, what do they do in real hell holes, jump 100 metres and land on top of you threatening you with machetes.

kevinm07 wrote:

Thats all the bad areas

Strangely enough, Dunsink Lane is actually Castleknock, D15.
    (just check out the website for Dunsink Observatory if you dont believe me Here.

Should we not include Castleknock in the list of kips too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

deswalsh wrote:
    Strangely enough, Dunsink Lane is actually Castleknock, D15.
    (just check out the website for Dunsink Observatory if you dont believe me Here.

Should we not include Castleknock in the list of kips too?

Very true.

Castleknock was that place where that schoolgirl was battered to death by 2 oulfella's, ain't safe for the kids at all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

gurramok wrote:
    Very true.

Castleknock was that place where that schoolgirl was battered to death by 2 oulfella's, ain't safe for the kids at all there.

What was this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Tom Selleck

I just moved to Dublin a few months ago. Lived in East Wall for a bit and have just moved to Thomas Street area. I got so many warnings when I moved here about how rough it would be, crawling with junkies who poke you in the eyes with needles and rip the clothes off your back to sell for drugs etc etc...All complete and utter scaremongering.
    Sure, it doesn't have the cleanliness or veneer of security that Blackrock or Foxrock have but those areas don't have the colour and character that this area has. The junkies are great craic(pardon the pun) most of the time and the only muggings I've heard of have actually been quite polite affairs.
    A bit of cop on goes a long way ie; get a taxi home after 12, don't walk home whilst ****faced.
    You might be unlucky of course but it's a rarity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement