Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage overpayment, installment reduced

Options
  • 03-10-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I recently made a lump sum payment of approx €1500 into my mortgage, with instructions to pay down the principal and reduce term. However, today I noticed that my monthly installment has reduced by €0.24. I know this is a very small amount, but shouldn’t my monthly installments remain the same? All I wanted to do was to reduce the term and keep payments the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Hi all. I recently made a lump sum payment of approx €1500 into my mortgage, with instructions to pay down the principal and reduce term. However, today I noticed that my monthly installment has reduced by €0.24. I know this is a very small amount, but shouldn’t my monthly installments remain the same? All I wanted to do was to reduce the term and keep payments the same.

When I did this with AIB it happened like you describe as it was a variable. I'd imagine it's standard enough to do it that way to be honest.

If you eventually get enough to pay the full principle down early then it won't really make a difference I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Sounds like they reduced the monthly payments instead of paying down the principal. Same thing happened to me more than once - a phone call to the bank sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

I used to make several lump principle payments and its common enough for your payment to change by very small amounts to ensure your future payments are the same amount for the rest of the life of the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Fiona44 wrote: »
    Sounds like they reduced the monthly payments instead of paying down the principal. Same thing happened to me more than once - a phone call to the bank sorted it out.

It would need to be a 500+ year mortgage for that calculation to work

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭tommythecat

It's would be a reduction of around 10 euro off the repayment if they reduced it. That's a very small sum so it looks like something else. For example I pay 500 overpayment monthly avd it reduces the payment by around 3 euro for a 280k mortgage.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

jayjay2010 wrote: »

Unless you have agreed with your bank, the monthly payments will reduce rather than the term being shortened. The banks have computerised algorithms which adjust the repayment so as to ensure it will be paid off on the final day of the mortgage term. Mathematically it makes little or no difference which way it is done. You can use the monthly saving to make further lump sum payments and eventually the mortgage will be paid off early anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The couple of cent difference is because they made it a month or two full payments shorter at the end of the term, then they split the rest and adjust for the interest. Normal calculation and nothing to worry about.

Sometimes it happens the other way around as well, say if I ask for an overpayment of 200 euro extra per month, to work it out to an even number of payments over the whole term, it ends up as 199.45 more per month instead.

Advertisement