Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving out at 30 years of age. Need advice

• 15-09-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭

Before I begin: I have moved out before when I was in my early 20s but I was young and naive and didn't have a particularly nice experience.

Right now, I live and work in Tramore, still under my parent's roof.

I'm looking to move to Kilkenny and live with my fiancé as she managed to get a job up there. We have found a potential house that's available within easy distance to Kilkenny city.

Do I get the deposit and move into the house and then find a new location to work in, or do I find a new location to work in and then move into the house? I want to do everything right this time - I've got a horrible history with moving houses on my own and I feel I'm in a good place in my life nowadays to do this properly.

I'll take as much advice as possible
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

start looking for both and start putting the deposit together

theres no right or wrong answer because its not entirely in your control what order the best options come up in

it may be easier to find a happy landlord if you can confirm you have a steady income due tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

You need to get a job sorted asap. Otherwise you'll be back under Mum and Dads roof again when you can't pay the rent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Talk to your Fiance about it, see how she feels. If you can drive, keep the job in Tramore until you find a new one in Kilkenny. Its an hour there and back each day, but thats a relatively small price to pay in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Are you talking about Renting or Buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If thinking of renting, don't...

Get the money together and buy... We wasted 8 years we could have been in our own home....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Get the money together and buy... We wasted 8 years we could have been in our own home....

Unless you think house prices are going to drop in the near future.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Unless you think house prices are going to drop in the near future.

Well very true, we missed out big time in the last recession...

Living much more comfortable now then any year before but we can do what we like once we pay....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

We're renting.
    And no, I don't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Sorry delete

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Lux23 wrote: »
    Sorry delete

Click Edit post. Press the Delete Button in the bottom right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Terrible advice.

30 year old who's struggled to live separately from his parents in the past moving in with a fiancee for the first time.

Renting is a low risk way to test the water and make sure they're capable of sharing a house together. If the relationship goes wrong buying would be a crazy expensive mistake.

OP, rent & commute until you can find something closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Finding a job first would be ideal. No financial pressure and you can decide where to live based on the job (at least partly)

There's a recession coming and house prices are overvalued. Hold out for a few years if you can. If you need to buy choose a fixed rate - negative equity and variable rate mortgages are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Terrible advice.

30 year old who's struggled to live separately from his parents in the past moving in with a fiancee for the first time.

Renting is a low risk way to test the water and make sure they're capable of sharing a house together. If the relationship goes wrong buying would be a crazy expensive mistake.

A problem is if your in a city like Dublin or Cork it’s actually easier (and cheaper) to buy than rent. I don’t agree with it but it’s true. Esp if he doesn’t have landlord references as he was living at home he could find it hard to get a tenancy.

Always have something drawn up with the solicitor like co ownership agreement when your not married when you buy a house outlining who put what money in etc and what happens to house if you split. Once your married, doesn’t matter but defo something to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

We're renting.
    And no, I don't drive.

Unless there is something (medically / conviction etc ) to prevent you driving get lessons ASAP.
    At 30 and living at home,no car, I would expect a deposit or savings of some sort?
    Unless your on very low wages I would try to keep the current job untill settled into the new place and then go looking for a new job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Unless there is something (medically / conviction etc ) to prevent you driving get lessons ASAP.

Agreed. Best get the bloody thing out of the way, unless you plan to live in a city like Dublin where owning a car is a hassle more than anything.

Terrible advice.

They're getting married and my advice is terrible....

Some people live together months don't work out and others live together for years and years get married and split....

I just voiced my opinion and renting is a joke... It ruined are chance for owning for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antix80 wrote: »
    Agreed. Best get the bloody thing out of the way, unless you plan to live in a city like Dublin where owning a car is a hassle more than anything.

Even if you live in a city and don't own your own car, driving is a skill which every adult should have.

Among other things, it makes it easier for you to learn how to store your wheelchair when you're old.

Advertisement