Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What is Rent to Buy? How does it work?

• 10-07-2019 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I've heard of this but I've no idea what exactly it is or how it works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

That's because it hasn't really ever worked here, though the councils are starting to look at these schemes. You pay rent for x years, at that point you can buy the property and your rent payments are deducted from the value of the property so you pay market value minus rent paid to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Caranica wrote: »
    That's because it hasn't really ever worked here, though the councils are starting to look at these schemes. You pay rent for x years, at that point you can buy the property and your rent payments are deducted from the value of the property so you pay market value minus rent paid to date.

Does that work if you're currently renting a house for a certain amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Febreeze wrote: »
    Does that work if you're currently renting a house for a certain amount of time?

I'm not aware of any schemes currently active. I know Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council have a few schemes in the pipeline but you have to be on the housing list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Last time I came across rent to buy was during the global financial crash, some developers tried it out as a means of off-loading new builds.

That stopped abruptly when banks refused to include the rent paid/credited as part of the deposit effectively meaning purchasers still needed a substantial deposit even if they'd paid significant amounts of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Graham wrote: »
    Last time I came across rent to buy was during the global financial crash, some developers tried it out as a means of off-loading new builds.

That stopped abruptly when banks refused to include the rent paid/credited as part of the deposit effectively meaning purchasers still needed a substantial deposit even if they'd paid significant amounts of rent.

its actually an excellent idea and would be a great financial vehicle if we used it correctly, save your deposit while living there and prove your capacity to pay, but ofcourse our banks and regulations would have to make an absolute balls of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement